I'm not sure if this is even an issue, but here goes.

When I play guitar, particularly strumming and palm muting, I've recently realized that my index finger and my thumb (more so the side of my thumb) is also hitting the strings alongside my plectrum.

Now, from doing a bit of an experiment purposely playing without any contact with my finger or thumb and then again with contact, I've found that the sound doesn't really change regardless of how I play.

Here's a few pics of how I hold the plectrum, and I will provide a video soon of the comparisons I spoke about previously. But for now, is it an issue if contact comes with my finger and thumb as well as the plectrum?

Video playing with finger/thumb contact and without. I can't notice any differences personally, but here goes: w7NnOiDzCxQ

Thanks.
Last edited by guitarnoobieeee at Jan 6, 2017,
It's only an issue if you decide that it is and/or if it affects the sound.

From the way you describe it seems like a non issue.

HOWEVER (!) if my wife heard you, she would warn you to be careful as hitting your fingernails on the strings WILL damage your fingernails and nail polish. I don't think this is a problem for you though (not that there's anything wrong with it)

EDIT: I suppose it might be an issue if you want to do pinch harmonics or want to avoid doing them at all costs... Those are caused by slighly muting (and immediately letting go) the string you picked with your picking hands thumb
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jan 5, 2017,