Page 1 of 2
I've been practising for 4 months several hours a day on average with high attention. I finishing the Justin Guitar beginner's course within 3months, and I'm consolidating everything on it until April(7 months total). My routine during his course(at this point) is a 10min break after 40-50mins of practice and/or theory(includes watching videos, fetching data to practice).

So far the things I have learnt from his course:
Chords: 29 chord transitioning is still around 40-60bpm
Rhythm patterns: 9
Scales: For 3 months I only knew of 1 scale and 1 pattern...
Improvisation: different time signatures and tempos to make the same pattern 'sound' differently if that make sense
Theory: Understanding and using tools such as metronome, amp, capo, pick. What are sharps, flats, tones, frequency, pitch, natural note. Learned about note circle and circle of fifth and how it related to the fretboard.
Songs: 9 (9 stages, pick 1 for each stage)

This learnt on my own:
Changing my guitar strings, hammer ons, pull offs, trills drop tuning, sight reading tab(only at about 50bpm note for note), awareness of other youtubers/bloggers(can you give some suggestions please). I watch jared dines, rob scallon and abundee. I mainly listen to death, doom and nu metal(what people have against nu metal on so many forums?)
Chords: I can spell out(note for note each chord) 15 chords in 4-5mins. tbh mostly from memorization of the chord itself(for example I know D chord is - - dadf#, but figuring that on the fretboard is not instant)
Scales: I'm aware of the different scales that branch from the chromatic scale. I understand that Penta means 5, and tonic is note - first note of scale hence 5 note scale. And that means there is Hexa, Hepta and other types of scales D: of that sort. I have no idea what Arpeggio is, going to find out after I get scales into routine.
Modes: Only aware of 7 modes and how they relate to the Tonic of key/scale- from Ionian to Locrian, with the Aeolian being the natural minor scale.
Riffs:10
Full Songs(besides the songs from his routine): About 6(5 rock songs and a Christmas carol). Not really interested in learning songs, but being able to learn songs faster, if that makes sense(Learning to learn faster if that doesn't sound weird)
Improvisation: Nearly zero, completely submerged into this theory and trying to get all scales into my routine
Theory: Rabbit hole status, legit have hundred page pdf books that I can't even get to viewing because of these scales business.

So that is a very short summary of what I've learnt in 3 months with justin guitar beginner routine, and in total of the 4 months from what I've learnt on my own. All constructive criticism is welcomed that will make me better, I feel great, absolute zero wrist pain(never even felt wrist pain before either), any forearm soreness happens the following day when I tend to play for 50 minutes literally non stop, which typically happens with my scales and technique part of my routine. My own routine(justin said that its now time to create my own routine once consolodating for beginner's course

TLDR: Within 4 months with several hours daily practice. I know 29 chords, basic grasp of rhythm, scales, scale patterns, about 15 songs. What should I be doing? How can I get my scales from 130(average alternate pickings) to about 250 lol? When should I start spider and other specialty exercises? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not that is advancing me into metal playing? First major upgrade should be guitar(sawtooth amazon beginner kit) or my amp(10watt-like 8Wx4L inches? I assume its the amp, some folkes on campus from the music section told me my guitar is 'okay'.

Thank You
guitar is a lifestyle

i wouldnt look into 'making progress'. It burns you out. Theres loads of people posting on these forums in regards to how they can find the motivation to keep playing. We also cant judge your playing without hearing it. Just play everyday and enjoy it.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
hecks is right I'm afraid, rattling off a list of things you can do is meaningless. It's important to bear in mind that ,as a beginner, your lack of experience makes you the worst qualified person to objectively judge your progress. I guarantee there's a massive difference between what you consider being able to play something compared to how an experienced player would assess you.

Also you need to understand that playing the guitar is a journey, not a destination. From your post it kind of seems like your trying to learn everything at once and that ain't going to happen. You never stop learning to play the guitar so there's no point trying to rush it. For example you've mentioned modes - literally no point worrying about them whatsoever at this stage, just forget you ever heard the word.

All that matters ultimately is music, because that's how a player is judged. Nobody will ever give a rats ass about how many scales our chords you know, or how fast you can do something. All anyone will ever care about is can you play a song and entertain them with the instrument, always keep that as your goal. As far as learning new techniques and concepts goes the absolutely best way to do that is learn more songs ,because there's a world of difference between practicing something as an isolated exercise compared to actually implementing it in a musical situation.

If you want to "advance into metal playing" then learn some metal songs, start with some sabbath or maiden to ease you into it. Forget the spider exercise, it's useless, likewise forget about how fast you can play scales as again it's meaningless - and in terms of speed i doubt you're consistently and accurately picking at 130bpm - remember accuracy, timing and economy of motion are what's important. If you're sloppy and inaccurate then you can't really play at that speed and there's no point telling yourself you can, otherwise you'll never improve. Even if you are nailing that speed, and by that I mean able to play anything you want at that speed, not just one exercise you've drilled over and over, your timeframe for hitting 250bpm, if it ever happens, is literally years. Guitar is extremely brutal when it comes to diminishing returns, the better you get, the more work you have to put in for smaller gains.

You have your whole life to learn to play the guitar, there's no point trying to do it all at one and it's not possible anyway. It's telling that one of your priorities is to learn songs "faster....why? What would that achieve in terms of your long term goal of learning to play the guitar? Faster is rarely better when it comes to learning anything - faster just means less depth, less attention payed, less work sure but also less value. Make sure you focus on the details and make sure you're learning everything properly rather than skimming through it just so you can say "done that" and tick off a box. If you can only play 6 songs I'd suggest learning a lot more and making that your priority - you may not like it but ultimately it's the best way to learn new techniques and build an understanding of the instrument which will help you immensely when it comes to creating your own music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by hecks
guitar is a lifestyle

i wouldnt look into 'making progress'. It burns you out. Theres loads of people posting on these forums in regards to how they can find the motivation to keep playing. We also cant judge your playing without hearing it. Just play everyday and enjoy it.

agree with this dude just be persistant and rock the fuck out
Wise man once said, " If you ever get lost in the woods, just start jacking off someone will see you."
ballajoe010
naaaaaaaaaaw man, that is optimism. He's basically just saying chill out with guitar. Guitar is gourmet sandwich that you don't wanna wolf down. Eat it one bite at a time and enjoy it.
- earth,wind, and fire
ballajoe010 Mark (Steven Seagull) is actually being ruthlessly pragmatic, as he always is. As such, sadly for your ego, that makes him right; he's a damn experienced player and knows almost infinitely more than you do right now. I agree with him as well, and will stress this important point: the gulf between what you think you can do and what you can actually do is, at this moment, huge. I guarantee it. Hell, I've been playing for over a decade and I'm still closing the gap between what I think and what other people think of my playing.

Even more important than that though, is that this isn't permanent. As long as you keep playing and keep assessing yourself and keep learning, that gap will get smaller, but by the same token it will take years to get to a realistic view of what you're capable of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ballajoe010
steven seagull Thank you, why so pessimistic lol? I will take heed to your advice though

Not pessimistic at all, just realistic - from your original post it just seems like you're overloading yourself with random bits of knowledge with no clear path in mind. You certainly don't need to be burying yourself in scales this early on, I guarantee that many of them will turn out to be useless.

Focus on doing a couple of things at a time well, rather than trying to do a little bit of everything all at the same time, and you'll make much better progress in the long run.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd take any advice from Steven and Zaphod with the utmost respect and consideration. To a beginner like yourself such advice might seem disheartening at times but it's not for the sake of being harsh, but instead they're being very rational and realistic. Almost every beginner guitarist has a serious case of "biting off more than they can chew". I've done it, and I'm sure Zaphod and Steven did it when they were learning too. It seems to be an ever increasing problem with the newer generation in particular. Stop trying to run before you can walk as many say. It's not a race, it's a marathon. A never ending marathon.
vayne92 oh I did indeed, haha, that's what you get when the person who made you pick up the guitar in the first place is John Petrucci!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've taken your advice since Monday of the previous week, it actually does feel like I'm generally improving just from learning new songs. I find myself tweaking certain tabs to make playing easier/more creative which also allows me to see certain note patterns. I guess my take is that I need to calm down with how many things are in my routine and find the balance between real music and theory/scales. There is this one music professor on campus that does work outside of class but I think that is for band members, I might get him to freely assess my playing sometime in the future(like 2 months from now?)
why dont you just post a video or something
- earth,wind, and fire
hecks I can have something up about 10 hours from now, its currently 3am. Does this forum have a feature to upload vids, I think I saw a place to upload mp3 but I tried before and my format wasnt able to be uploaded. I have no problem making a youtube channel for guitar related things, I plan on being pretty active on the forum once I get a solid foundation
yeah i feel like youtube would be the best thing for that atm. That's another thing you can do, document your progress. I've been really meaning to do that myself actually but just have trouble being lazy; when i play i guitar i just wanna play, not set up a recording environment everytime.
- earth,wind, and fire
Bud.... just play guitar!! keep it fun. its not supposed to be that theoretical or statistical. Spend time becoming excellent at a few of those things you've learned, and the rest will come naturally.
Play the hardest thing you can so we can very critically analyse your technique. Noone is expecting a beginner to be good so don't take criticism too hard because it's the criticism which will make you a better player.
Alrighty sounds good, I'll play two songs, one which I'm familiar with and another where I cannot play that has a part with 200-300bpm. Probably putting in a few technique exercises. Its probably going to be up 2hrs from now, iirc, all the uploading may take a while
Quote by hecks
ballajoe010
naaaaaaaaaaw man, that is optimism. He's basically just saying chill out with guitar. Guitar is gourmet sandwich that you don't wanna wolf down. Eat it one bite at a time and enjoy it.

Best explanation of guitar playing ever.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
You are way overthinking this. Technique is probably fine, just go learn songs...if it sounds good youre probably doing something very right. Your hands are very different than mine so will look a bit different you will play different.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
hey that's awesome- if you did that in 4 months that's definitely something!
I remember when I was in the rush of learnin guitar it was really hard for me to gauge how good I was because of the amount I was learning.
It was really a quantity over> quality mistakenly, because I was learning so many guitar techniques I wasn't taking the time to invest in the quality of each technique I was learning.
An example would be someone like B.B. King or Paul Kossoff who are known for having 'the best' vibrato.
what does the best vibrato even mean?? - well, they put work into perfecting their vibrato.
So keep practicing everyday, because that's the least you can do. You've learned a lot so take some time to smooth out those edges in your playing. It'll come naturally just with daily practice.

Also don't burn out! I can't stress how big it is for people to just enjoy guitar.

this

vs

this
- earth,wind, and fire
Ok I'd say you're in pretty good shape for the amount of time you've been playing, also extra marks for the wrestling themes!

Your playing is still somewhat mechanical at this stage and not particularly fluid, however that's to be expected this early stage. You won't realise it yet, but there'll come a point where the guitar suddenly feels much more natural in your hands. You're clearly not there yet but it's probably only a couple of months off...trust me, you'll know it when it happens.

You're definitely years off the kind of speeds you were mentioning in your original post, likewise sweep picking is way off the radar...again, it should be at this stage so nothing to worry about. Your timing and accuracy kinda go out the window even when just trying to pick the open strings a bit faster but again, you've barely started in the greater scheme of things so nothing you wouldn't expect. It's good to know where your limits are though...there's no sudden leaps in ability when it comes to guitar, it's as steady progression.

Your focus at this stage should be to look at getting some songs under your belt as it's hard to get a feel for where you are until you start to string it all together. Wrestling themes are fun but they're not the not the most challenging pieces of music out there. Try learning some ac/dc or black sabbath songs and see how you get on.

Right now your main focus should simply be getting to that point where the guitar starts to feel more natural in your hands, things really open up when you hit that point. Just keep playing things and keep practicing...one thing you'll realise is that no matter how well you think you can play something you can always play it better
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

steven seagull
Good day, I really appreciate all this advice man. I will make all changes necessary and focus on improving the basic foundations like you mentioned. I'm definitely with you on the natural feel for the guitar, currently playing easy songs looking away for now that go up to 12th fret. As well as listening to some black sabbath albums for songs I can enjoy and learn. Idk if I want to listen to Ac/Dc tbh. Since the past 2 weeks I'm learning 2 songs per week instead of 1 song per 2 weeks. These songs are about 1min loops that consist of 3-5 bars.

About the open string picking- I should've said in the video that is the fastest I can pick open strings lol, I had it in the description, though. I know its pretty pathetic but that was about 130bpm whiich is struggle speed for me atm standing up, the order was all down, then all up, down up, down then up and next note lastly down up down up.

So yea, new songs, calm down on the sweep picking and other unnecessary techniques at this stage until Intermediate(I'm guessing I can call myself an Intermediate with 1 year total which would be September). I'm still... going to do the other technique exercises but scale back the time I spend on them on increase my basic skill. You sure I should be learning to play Black Sabbath at this stage man? This is the easiest tab I found https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/black_sabbath/black_sabbath_ver3_tab.htm I can definitely try it out if you think its a good idea to practice this, I like the song
What kind of music do you like? Sabbath/ACDC is for sure a good place to start, but it's important to make sure you actually like the music you're playing so it's enjoyable and doesn't feel so much like a chore.
I like Black Sabbath, I like Korn(7 string band), Flyleaf, Evanescence, Metallica, Slayer are some of my favourites but how can I learn Metallica and slayer after 4 total months so far...
Metallica has some easier songs..

For whom the bell tolls
Enter sandman

These are some that come to mind.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with those other bands catalogues
Are yo NSpen1 Are you trolling? This tab literally has more bars than all the songs I know in total without exaggeration... and I can play about 20 songs
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/slayer/south_of_heaven_album_tab.htm

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/slayer/dead_skin_mask_tab.htm
^Dead skin mask seems better than the black sabbath - black sabbath tab. There are no hammer ons and pull offs and I should be able to play at tempo of song

Okay, I think I'm just being misled. In my logical reasoning, I should practice techniques because its universal and will lead to playing difficult songs easier which I am already seeing in action with songs that I know now from when I tried it at an earlier state.
I know its the entire album, the song is longer than all songs I know in total and I dont even like the song that much. Once I learn it that is it, I'm good at that song and a few skills gained that will translate to another song. I'm interested in increasing my technical skills at this stage not really playing songs. I would try that but I know for sure its a complete waste of time, I don't need to start an experiment to compare the results had I used the time for technical drills.

I prefer doing what StevenSeagull said which was playing the songs I like, and right now I'm not playing any songs with hammers on and pulls offs until my hammer on and pull offs drill reach a certain base speed(130bpm for example). I have no idea how long it would take to learn south of heaven if even able to be played...
Iron Man is probably the easiest Sabbath song out there, minus the solos, and technically the riff is actually relatively similar to The Rock's intro theme so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting to grips with it. Most of their early stuff isn't too taxing, solos and widdly bits aside, and indeed a lot of the stuff from that era at least has some easy riffs and intros you can learn - bands like Deep Purple, Free, Rainbow and Whitesnake.

As far as hammer ons and pull-offs go though, again you really need to start using them. The simple fact of the matter is that in most songs you get one hammer on or pull off at a time, maybe the two one after the other or occasionally three (hammer on - pull off - hammer on or vice versa). You don't need mad speed for that, what you need is good technique - focus on the excecution of the technique and getting a clear note as a result at this stage rather than speed. Consecutive hammer-ons and pull-offs are called trills, and in the greater scheme of things they don't occur very often, they're mainly used as embellishments in solos. However if you want to get started on them War Pigs uses them in the rhythm part, it'll take you a while before you can nail them at the speed they are in the song but it still sounds fine if they're played a bit slower. Also that trill in the Black Sabbath intro isn't anything to be scared off as it kind of sits on its own, so you don't have to worry to much about transitioning in or out of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

steven seagull
I starting the Balck Sabbath self-titled song today(and/or iron man), dead skin mask and probably Star Wars Imperial March theme(love this tune).

May I ask two questions, I read the tab legend forum but it did not really explain hammer on and pull offs that happen in a sequence such as this one what I think you are talking about - 'trills'
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc_wwf/kane_theme_tab.htm

E----------------------------------------------------|
B----------------------------------------------------|
G------------------------------3v~-6-5b-3---------5b-|
D-----------------------------------------5----------|
A-3h5p3-4h5p4-3~-3h5p3-4h5p4-3~-------------3h5p3----|
E----------------------------------------------------|
On the A string, does that mean to pick the 3rd fret note, hammer on to the 5th(no pick) fret and pull off(no pick)? then next sequence is played 4th fret note, hammer on to 5..and pull off play 4 again? Basically meaning the hammered on the note is the next that is after the h and the pull off is the note before the p?

If I learn the iron man song in ~10days practising it 10 hours total, is that a good learning speed for my stage?
Last edited by ballajoe010 at Jan 21, 2017,
Tony Done

Usually stands for "bend" but tbh I haven't seen a tab in years so not sure.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by ballajoe010
If I learn the iron man song in ~10days practising it 10 hours total, is that a good learning speed for my stage?

It really depends on how well you play it!

and the 'b' does stand for bend but usually it gives you more information like which pitch to bend it to.
- earth,wind, and fire
Don't worry so much about how long things take and whether or not it's "good" - especially when compared to other guitarists. Think about it, learning the guitar is a solo pursuit - anything other people may or may not have done has absolutely zero influence on your progress. I understand you want to know you're on the right track, but here's the simple fact - at the beginning, you're gonna suck a bit, and you'll suck for a while, everybody who ever picked up the guitar went through that same process.

There is no "should" in guitar in terms of progress, everyone learns at their own pace and often people learn things in different orders. So there's no point in worrying how you "measure up", because in reality there's nothing to measure against. Ultimately playing an instrument is an art, not a sport - the only way you can really judge progress is in the end product, the music.

So don't worry about how long it may or may not take you to learn Iron Man, just focus on the learning journey. Listen to the song a bunch so it's ingrained in your mind and listen for all the little nuances in there and try to anticipate what might be in the tab. Do you hear distinct chords or do you hear them audibly slide when they change, or is it a mixture of both? Are the chords going up in pitch, or down? Are there single notes in there too?

Spend that time with the song, then grab a tab and start learning it. Doesn't matter how long it takes, what matters is learning the song to the best of your ability - the more work you put in the more you will benefit from it.

Also I'd probably swerve the Imperial March for the time being. The problem with that is it's not a piece of guitar music, so it's very difficult to know what you should be playing and whether or not you're playing it right. There are a few guitar arrangements obviously but there's not really a definitive one - basically you're not going to get an awful lot of benefit from learning it, and also it might be quite tricky to learn. Following a guitar on a recorded song is hard enough when you're a beginner, so imagine trying to pick out the couple of notes that have been transcribed for guitar from a full orchestra! It might be a piece of music you like, it's just not got an awful lot it can teach you at this point so not the most efficient use of your time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Just double checking, I left something out, I will put it in parenthesis

A-3h5p3-4h5p4-3~-3h5p3-4h5p4-3~-------------3h5p3----|

To play this I must: All on A string - pick 3rd fret then hammer on to 5th with ring finger(whilst index remains on 3rd fret, don't pick, release to execute pull off the entire time keeping index on the 3rd fret- now my curious question is, for that 3 after the p, do I pick that? Or is that indicating that my hand stayed on the 3rd fret to make the pull off on the 5th fret sound.

Thank you
Page 1 of 2