Hello. I am new to ultimate guitar and am also new to guitar. I own a Schecter c1+ and recently bought a 5150 combo from Guitar Center. I m going crazy trying to get any dirty sounds out of it. Seems like maybe crunch feature is broken. Is that possible? I'm trying to figure this out so that I can return it before deadline.I also hear a rattle sound whenever I set it down. I read others have experienced that and have compared the sound to coke bottles hitting each other. Thank you.
I'm thinking of bringing it into the store and comparing it to the 6505 with the assistance of a sales associate.
If you put it on crunch and it sounds like anything other than face-meltingly heavy then something is wrong.

The rattling sound may be a tube problem, not certain though. I would suggest taking it back ASAP because regardless of what the problem is, it shouldn't be doing it.

If you want further advice here, make a new thread in GG&A.
The rattling sound could be the spring reverb unit. My 6505+ combo does that whenever it's in my car -- as I drive down the road or just set the amp down the reverb springs rattle.

But the amp should immediately be able to get crushing distortion tones no problem. Is the lead channel also "clean?" The lead channel should be distorted pretty much all the time, even if you have the gain set at 1/2 out of 10. I'd take it back.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thank you KailM. I think that was part of the problem. I was using more post than pre. It is sounding nice now.
Quote by AscendedWolf
Thank you KailM. I think that was part of the problem. I was using more post than pre. It is sounding nice now.

Yeah Peaveys are a little confusing that way when you're first getting to know them. "Post gain" should really have been labeled "volume" and "pre gain" could just be called "gain."

Glad you're getting some good sounds out of it now-- it's very hard to beat a 5150 for raw, balls-out metal tones. If you get a chance, try boosting either channel with a tube screamer or other OD pedal, with the pedal's gain turned all the way to zero and its volume/level turned all the way up. Set preamp gain a bit lower than normal; about "3" on the lead channel or "6-7" on the rhythm channel w/ crunch button activated. In this way, you can run a lot more bass and resonance on the amp's EQ and it'll sound massive but still very tight. Enjoy!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood