Now I know that ss amps dont take distortion pedals well but recently I came across a sustain/compressor pedal ie Boss CS3, I would love to have that extra sustain in my playing but the problem is that I have a Roland Cube 20GX which is a ss amp. So my questions :

Can we connect such pedals to the cube?

Will the pedal improve my tone or is it just a waste of money?
It is more accurate to say that certain- usually modeling- SS amps don't take dirt* pedals very well. Other, mostly nom-modeling SS amps take dirt pedals just fine. I don't know into which category your Cube falls, however.

Connecting a dirt pedal to your Cube works just like connecting any other pedal to it.

Is it worth it? Only way to find out for sure is to try it. Is they're anyone you can borrow pedals to try? Or can you go into a store near you and try out a Cube with dirt pedals?

* overdrive, distortion or fuzz
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
cyruseternity For the most part it is just drive pedals (distortion, OD, fuzz, etc.) that typically do not play well with SS amps. Compression (like the CS-3) is fine with SS amps, especially considering Compression works with your guitar signal only and not with the amp- the amp just amplifies it and adds color. Drive pedals cause a reaction from the amp, which typically SS amps will not react as favorably as a tube amp would. Although really I would work towards getting a more professional, inspiring amp before starting to invest in pedals.

dannyalcatraz I think my rule of thumb is that if the modeling or rather the sound of the amp is done through digitalization, then the amp is likely not going to take drive pedals well. Typically these kinds of amps are just not made to take drive pedals in the first place- they are meant to be a guitar > amp kind of unit. The Roland Cubes all use (I think) the COSM technology which is digital. And that technology is quite old at this point too. I have tried using drive pedals into a Roland Cube 20X (very similar if not for the most part identical to TS' amp) and no, it just does not work right. It sounds much better (sometimes even moderately usable) using just guitar > amp.

The Marshall MG's boast that they have an all-analog signal path, but they still sounded pretty bad with pedals, which may just be caused by the MG's awful inherent nature. Although once I ran a Soul Food into the front input on the clean channel and it sounded okay. I opened up an MG100 and I saw a few digital-looking bits in the circuit. I think the problem is finding the few SS amps that do take drive pedals well in a market saturated with SS amps who are unhappy with drive pedals.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 6, 2017,
I know that several if not all of the Quilter line is pretty damn pedal friendly. I'm probably going to get one of the Aviators later this year. Might get a 101 for giggles, too.

Aviator

101 Mini Head

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Their Toneblock 200 is good, too.

Quote by cyruseternity
Now I know that ss amps dont take distortion pedals well but recently I came across a sustain/compressor pedal ie Boss CS3, I would love to have that extra sustain in my playing but the problem is that I have a Roland Cube 20GX which is a ss amp. So my questions :

Can we connect such pedals to the cube?

Will the pedal improve my tone or is it just a waste of money?

this kind of depends on what you are after. this pedal won't add gobs of sustain in the same manor as a distortion pedal if that is what you are thinking.
In my experience, most pedals work fairly well with solid state amplifiers. There are of course exceptions to some overdrive/fuzz pedals, which interact directly with the tubes in a tube amplifier, but they can still improve the tone of a solid state amplifier. As for the compressor you're describing, it probably works just fine with your Roland Cube 20GX, as it doesn't really manipulate the way the amplifier itself works, at least not in the same way that an overdrive/fuzz pedal does.