This is my first post on the forums i believe. Ive been using this site for about 4 years getting tabs and stuff. But i figured its about time for me to post.

But my first guitar which ive had for 4 years is starting to feel a bit uncomfortable for me to play. Ive tried adjusting the saddle on my guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Junior) but it just seems like i cant get the action high enough. The strings are just so high off the fretboard. When i lower the saddle i get the strings too close to the humbuckers and its just wayyy to muddy at that point. I've found a happy medium just for practicing. But i want to get the action higher.

Am i going to have to cut deeper notches in the nut? Im not sure ive never encountered this problem personally. On my acoustic it was very easy to lower the action all i had to do was file the bridge a wee bit. But i feel like if i mess up on my nut it will be unplayable.

I dont play blues at all. I prefer classic rock 70s 80s 90s and country so idk if that helps any. I dont play metal often.

I think i attached an image for reference. if not here is a link.

https://gyazo.com/64e58062599e44450419ca856668ff88
Last edited by ogxtricks at Jan 6, 2017,
The strings are just so high off the fretboard. When i lower the bridge i get the strings too close to the humbuckers and its just wayyy to muddy at that point. I've found a happy medium just for practicing. But i want to get the action lower.

Why not lower the height of the pickups?

Is there anything physically preventing you from lowering the bridge height down to where it needs to go? I ask because if you've lowered the bridge height to the very bottom of its travel and the action is still really high, then the solution could be shimming the neck.

How much neck relief is there? If there's too much relief, then that can be the cause of excessively high action.
Am i going to have to cut deeper notches in the nut?

Sort out the action at the bridge first before trying to fix something that might not be broken.

Unless the action at the nut is so high that it's practically like a lap steel, then isn't going to be the direct cause of the high action. But without supplying pics of the nut action, there's no way of knowing if this is the case or not.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE I didnt even think of lowering the pickups. Now if i lower the pickups and the saddle will that make it sound muddy? Or will it sound fairly similar to what it used to sound like? its a set of humbuckers so it sounds like a gibson if you ask me.
Quote by ogxtricks
T00DEEPBLUE I didnt even think of lowering the pickups. Now if i lower the pickups and the saddle will that make it sound muddy? Or will it sound fairly similar to what it used to sound like?

It depends on how you set the pickup height.

But if you set it to the same height it was relative to the strings before you started lowering the bridge, then there's physically no reason it'll not sound the same.

If anything lowering the bridge can potentially make the guitar sound better. Assuming you also reset the intonation of the guitar for the lower action settings, the guitar will have better intonation in general than it ever could have had before, due to the nature of the fact that a lower action reduces the amount you need to bend the string into the fretboard to fret a note, which would otherwise cause all the guitar's notes to be excessively sharp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE

Yep i reset the inonation and everything. Just gotta lower the pickups. do you have any tips or can you link a decent tutorial on how to do this. All the ones im finding are for fender strats. I need something for humbuckers
You adjust the height of humbuckers exactly the same way as you would with single coils.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R