so im trying to install a new set of dimarzio pickups in my explorer. a super 3 and air norton. this is not the first time ive installed pickups but im a little stumped on an issue with the super 3
i followed the basic schematic for a 2 volume and master tone on a 3 way switch and got everything hooked up. the air norton works as it should but there is no sound coming from the super 3.....nothing.....so i checked my wiring and double checked it and everything was just as it should be. i figured it was a bad pot so i got a replacement but before i did i checked the Ohm rating of my super 3. the red is hot. green and ground are tied together as are black and white. when i check the ohms on the red and ground there is nothing. but if i check the ohms on the ground and black and white it reads a steady 14 and change. what gives? im taking it as the pickup is shot, as this should not be reading on the grounds and unused wires. any ideas?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Strange, your connection between black and white is solid? That would be my first suspect area, if thats mot a good connection you'd get a reading from ground to that point but then not to the hot wire
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
ill re-solder and report back

re-soldered and checked again still no reading from ground/green and red. i get a 12.63 reading from black/white and ground AND the same from black/white and red. safe to say this pup is shot?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Jan 6, 2017,
Strange.... That number seems like what you should be getting from the whole thing. Do you know what the ballpark impedance is for the pickup as a whole?
no idea....but.....in a strange turn of events. before i gave up i re soldered every connection and tested it again with no reading but i hooked it up anyway plugged it in and it works....how???lol
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Sometimes things just need to be reflowed

Glad you got it working. I've had similar issues in this past and it's always a good idea to touch up all the connections.