what are you guys into these days? im thinking the 5150. any other options i should be considering?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
a variety.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Mesa Mini Rectifier, Mesa Mark V 25, 6505mh. And that's just off the top of my head.

As Grawgos said, need to know more (including price limits, what bands you want to sound like, what gear you've got, etc.) if you want more advice than that.
The 5150 you mentioned should work just fine. The most important part is the cabinet, in my opinion. You could also check out the

Peavey 6505 MH
https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118738
and the
MESA/Boogie Mini Rectifier 25
http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/rectifier-series/mini-rectifier-twenty-five/index.html.

They're supposed to be very close to their full-sized counterparts.
couple three more to add to the list .... EVH 50 watt , Carvin's Steve Vie signature amp called the Legacy , Carvin V3m
I have 112 with a veteran 30 laying around I typically use pç amp Sims. But ive started to grow tired of it. The Mesa stuff is a bit more than I'd like to spend honestly. As for budget I'll be using tax money so it varies, if it's something amazing for the right price I'd make it work.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
romeozdistressI sometimes plug my interface into the FX loop on my amplifier and use amp sims for whatever amplifier/effect that i want. It sounds pretty good, to be honest.
All metal isn't the same .
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Never said it was, I enjoy many sub genres of metal.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
8Len8In all fairness most, if not all genres of metal have some common traits like for instance distorted guitar tones.
Putridead Megedeth, Iron Maiden and Mastadon are all metal but definitely use different types of distortion (at least to me).
If you play industrial metal, we won't recommend an Orange OR15, if you play stoner metal, we won't recommend an ENGL metal master.

You need name a few bands so we know what you're talking about and suggest the best amp for those sounds.
Putrideadsorry I'm really not understanding you then. It's like saying you want to paint a room blue, but consider all shades of blue the same.
Folk, thrash, death, black, blackened death, symphonic, hardcore
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
8Len8 I was just pointing out the fact that distorted guitars, however broad the term might be, is a trait that is shared by all metal genres. I wasn't going into the tonal differences that are obviously present. Everyone can hear that Iron Maiden doesn't sound like Cannibal Corpse or Pantera, eventhough they all have distorted guitars. And that is really what people usually mean when they say they want an amplifier/guitar/whatever "for metal". In this case, that would be a high-gain lunchbox amplifier.
Quote by romeozdistress
Folk, thrash, death, black, blackened death, symphonic, hardcore

Take a look at the Randall Diavlo, Engl metal master/iron ball, laney iron heart
Love the fact the 6505 MH has a clean channel though
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The original micro metal heads, the Krank Jr amps
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
ive alkways wanted one of those little kranks, they seem hard to find these days.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
that mesa is pretty pricey for the wattage man.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
for a but more you can grab a mark.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I currently own the peavey 6505 mini head and the Engl Ironball. I play them through a 1x12 mini recto cab. The 6505MH really does give that classic sound although with less bottom end oomph than its big brother. The downside is a poor clean channel. The Ironball is an all around monster. The gain structure is super articulate and very organic. The clean channel is, in my opinion, far better than the 6505s. It's not super sparkly like a fender twin reverb deluxe, but it is nice.

If I had to pick one, id say Ironball without question...but of course it comes with a higher price tag. There's other great options out there like the mini rectifier, mark V, and orange Dark Terror, but I have no experience with those. Good luck! Mini heads are super fun...and trust me, whatever you buy won't be your last.
Honestly, I'd recommend the Peavey 6505MH. The gain channel is fairly similar to the full-size 6505, so if that's the sound you're looking for it's a perfect fit. I have one paired with a Carvin 1X12 cab (Celestion V-30 speaker) and it is a ton of fun! Slap an overdrive in the front, and you have quite the metal machine.

The only cons are the clean channel and the cheap included footswitch. The cleans are bland, but not the worst cleans on a high-gain amp I've ever heard. Then again, if you play death metal like I do, cleans are probably not a primary concern. The footswitch that is included feels like an afterthought on Peavey's end. It's made of chintzy, flexible plastic. I'm surprised I haven't broke mine yet...
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay