Poll: Why?
Poll Options
View poll results: Why?
Hot girls never send them sexy selfies.
14 44%
They are too ugly to take selfies.
21 66%
They are upset that other people get attention.
20 63%
They are upset that other people like things.
15 47%
They hate things that are fun to do.
15 47%
Voters: 32.
Page 1 of 3
So according to recent threads about selfies, many people claim to not like looking at or taking selfies. Why do you think this is? The choices I listed in the poll I think are the main possibilities. I have hot girls sending me sexy selfies all the time, most of which were taken specifically for me. I can imagine that people would feel left out if they don't receive any.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No you don't
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Your face is not particularly interesting.

They are often highly narcissistic and the photographic community needs to get over portraiture. People are not as interesting as the world they live in.

unlike photographs of things, actions or events they do not provide me with potentially useful information outside of what a person looks like or is wearing

the internet is saturated with them and so the previous three make them something that's just sort of "there" to me. Like pictures of babies on Facebook or people photographing their dinner (unless they're good at photographing their dinner).
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I don't hate selfies are I just hate the word it's self.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Unless I've done something to drastically change my appearance, what would be the point of me taking a selfie? People already know what I look like. It's not particularly noteworthy.
people who don't take seflies are usually harbouring subconscious issues about their image i personally spend 80% of my time taking selfies and it's the first thing i do in the morning, with a morning-nomakeup selfie
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I don't like taking them because I generally don't like being in pictures. I like taking pictures of things, people are eh

But I don't care that others do
My God, it's full of stars!
Most portraits are boring, self-portraits included

If people like taking them, more power to them, I like people having fun, even if the thing that's fun for them isn't fun for me. Fun is good, I'm glad they're enjoying themselves. That doesn't mean I don't think it's boring though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 7, 2017,
All of the above tbh, but I hate fun and other people liking things the most.

Also with all due respect theo, I can understand people hating selfies after seeing yours.

I'm out

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by BillDemote
I do think that people that take lots of selfies are self-absorbed and shallow. I think that with social medias, folks have become more narcissistic because they found that by exposing one's self they could garner what they think is "positive" attention. But, to me, selfies aren't even a "thing". People be on Tinder, for example, trying to look all pretty and pleasing to the eye just for a quick fuck, I think it just proves what I'm saying. They're trying to get this attention to fulfill a really basic impulse.
I think a lot of the opinions in this thread are based on a subconscious false assumption that every single selfie they see is taken with them in mind if that even makes sense.

I mean obviously you're not gonna like selfies if you think that broadly 'people are boring'
Quote by slipknot5678
I think a lot of the opinions in this thread are based on a subconscious false assumption that every single selfie they see is taken with them in mind if that even makes sense.
This is called a strawman

Quote by slipknot5678
I mean obviously you're not gonna like selfies if you think that broadly 'people are boring'
some people are interesting

just not people who spend their time making selfies and publishing them online
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Banjocal

not really a strawman.

you said earlier that it is narcissistic and that the photographic community needs to get over potraiture.

maybe they arent trying to be photographers, and maybe even though it's published online it could just be meant for their friends or whatever. it's sort of just there for me too but your post indicates a negative opinion of people who take them (even though it is never explicitly stated) and i dont see how it is really any different than just having your picture taken.
Quote by theogonia777
I have hot girls sending me sexy selfies all the time, most of which were taken specifically for me. I can imagine that people would feel left out if they don't receive any.

What a coincidence. I also have hot girls sending me sexy selfies all the time, most of which were taken specifically for me.

I think the problem for me lies in the inherent narcissism behind the picture. If I visit a cool place or eat nice food and I want other people to know about it, I take a picture of the place or the food. Very rarely am I ever in the picture. That said, I don't mind if other people take selfies and post them. It's just not a thing I would find particularly enjoyable myself.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I take a selfie so I don't look like a fuckin weirdo

Seriously when someone's most recent photo is from like 2013 its weird

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Why would that be weird? I'm asking for a friend.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Can't explain it. Just is. I just think it's good to keep stuff like that up to date. Don't do mine too often maybe like once every 6 months but it lets people know who they're dealing with.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I have some hot chicks on my snapchat, most of them i met in classes in school. A lot of them send me selfies daily. I don't have close relationships with all of them anymore, so they're probably just mass sending them to all of their contacts. A few of them are actually personal snaps. I think snapchat is the perfect platform to go all out and take as many selfies as you want. Regardless, I think selfies are fine if done in moderation. I've unfollowed so many chicks who i'm actually friends with on facebook and instagram, because they post selfies every few hours, every day. It gets annoying seeing their face 5 times a day in my feeds, and it just proves that they crave attention.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

definitely the dumbest thing about complaining about selfies is the idea that nobody wants to see them like honestly my friends' selfies make my day
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I take a selfie so I don't look like a fuckin weirdo

When you take all your selfies with only half your face you look like a weirdo regardless.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
When you take all your selfies with only half your face you look like a weirdo regardless.

my current photo has my full face suck it cunt

Quote by theogonia777
excuse you
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Can't explain it. Just is. I just think it's good to keep stuff like that up to date. Don't do mine too often maybe like once every 6 months but it lets people know who they're dealing with.

I think this really depends on how active you are on social media and how much that part of your life ties into your actual life.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
my current photo has my full face suck it cunt

tbf, maybe there's a case to be made for the half face photos.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by EndTheRapture51

but people know what i look like now y would i need a picture for that

i dont rly like my picture taken. only person i really feel comfortable taking my picture is me but i have no reason to take a selfie unless someone was like "yo do this pls"
I'm 45 years old. I grew up in a world where taking pics of yourself and admiring them would be considered being embarrassingly full of yourself.

Nowadays there's no shame. I hope that's not being too honest.
Quote by soundgarden1986
but people know what i look like now y would i need a picture for that

i dont rly like my picture taken. only person i really feel comfortable taking my picture is me but i have no reason to take a selfie unless someone was like "yo do this pls"

because you change appearance over time

Quote by chaosinsues5
I'm 45 years old. I grew up in a world where taking pics of yourself and admiring them would be considered being embarrassingly full of yourself.

Nowadays there's no shame. I hope that's not being too honest.

you also lived in a world where you had to develop film

i don't want to have a dozen photographs of me. i look like cunt grishnakh when i smile and charles manson when i don't. i'd rather few people knew my face, that way when i die suddenly, i will be viking metal's Bigfoot
Quote by EndTheRapture51
because you change appearance over time

i mean yea if im like 38 and my fb page is of 22 year old me then its a bit bizarre

like those old people that have their first grade portraits up tf is that about

but there isnt that big of a change between 18 year old me and soon to be 24 year old me so its like w/e
Quote by Victory2134
tbf, maybe there's a case to be made for the half face photos.

Maybe if you cut off the top or bottom half but not the left or right half.
Quote by soundgarden1986
i mean yea if im like 38 and my fb page is of 22 year old me then its a bit bizarre

like those old people that have their first grade portraits up tf is that about

but there isnt that big of a change between 18 year old me and soon to be 24 year old me so its like w/e

probably more of a difference than you think

but yh whatever suits you

i went through a lot of hairstyle changes since then

Quote by neidnarb11890
so what?
so they are not of use or relevance to me (and potentially some who think similarly), per the question

Quote by slipknot5678
Banjocal

not really a strawman.

you said earlier that it is narcissistic and that the photographic community needs to get over potraiture.
one can hold that belief and still be aware of a differing creative intent in such a selfie. Therefore, it is a strawman, and one built on a hasty generalisation at that (or otherwise one that effectively claims to know a person's mind more than they themself do, which is a whole other level of wacky). I'm speaking in terms of the function of the work - not its intent. the intent is irrelevant to me. Its presence is not.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 7, 2017,
because I don't like making stupid faces into a camera? Don't get me wrong I don't mind selfies, but I do not get the appeal.

I don't like it because it isn't true. It's the same reason I don't like smiling in pictures if I'm not happy enough to smile without the picture. I'm a very honest person and I don't really cover up my emotions much, so I don't like taking pictures that falsely represent my feelings.
Last edited by ehbacon at Jan 7, 2017,
Page 1 of 3