Page 1 of 3
I have to get this off my chest. For some reason I cannot get this out of my mind. Here goes:

I was at a party the other night, and some friends and I were talking about music with some guy I just met. I asked him if he played any instruments. You know what he said? - "I dabble in strings."

I DABBLE IN STRINGS! Can you believe that shit??? I held my tongue and eventually exited the conversation when I had a chance. Am I overreacting? Or would you have wanted to shove him into a locker on the spot as well? Maybe you had to be there.

It wasn't just what he said, but how he said it. He chuckled before he said it, like what he was about to say was going to be an understatement. Then he almost said it like an old butler. Like, "Yes, I do declare, I daaabble in the stringed instruments from time to time, I dare say." It was like he was implying that he can do some really amazing shit on multiple instruments, but he wasn't going to get into detail because he was just that cool.
I think you're over-reacting a bit... just a bit...
Also, instead of being so harsh, why didn't you just ask the dude "what kind of strings?" He might be talking about keyboard synth strings, or maybe he plays all 3 - violin, cello, upright bass, etc ...
it seems like you're just judging a guy for a small statement without gathering enough information about his skill set or actually getting to know him.

When people ask me about my music, i'm pretty laconic. I only go into great detail if the other person seems genuinely interested.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I feel like you are over reacting. I also agree with what k.lainad said.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Yeah, calm the fuck down dude
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
i dabble in dibbling the drirribbl bibble
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i dabble in dibbling the drirribbl bibble

Do you dimpdickle while fimpdicking?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Do you dimpdickle while fimpdicking?
NEVER

you deserve to be shoved in a locker for suggesting i'd ever do something like that.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I guess you had to be there. I'm telling you, at least half of you would change your mind if you were actually there and heard how he said it! You know when someone chuckles after you ask them a question, meaning like "Oh you don't even know the half of it."
No matter how he said it I still feel like you are over reacting.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by soundgarden1986
if anyone deserves to be shoved in a locker its you

You deserve to be shoved in a locker for that username lol. It's deserving of locker shoving in two ways: you actually included the year you were born in your screenname! Are we still dialing up to go on AOL instant messenger? And the second reason is because I hate Sound Garden. But that's more my issue, so don't worry about that. But including the year you were born? What's wrong with you!
I feel like TS is a hoot at parties.

Quote by bbzswa777
You deserve to be shoved in a locker for that username lol. It's deserving of locker shoving in two ways: you actually included the year you were born in your screenname! Are we still dialing up to go on AOL instant messenger? And the second reason is because I hate Sound Garden. But that's more my issue, so don't worry about that. But including the year you were born? What's wrong with you!

You were born in the year 777AD?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
No matter how he said it I still feel like you are over reacting.

I agree, because after all, I am still thinking about it a couple days later! But at the time, like I said, I simply found an opportunity to exit the conversation. So if anything, I think I was polite at the time.
Quote by soundgarden1986
i was born in 1993

Like that makes it better! So you didn't even choose the right year? Wow you're fucking up in life. Get your shit together
Quote by bbzswa777
Like that makes it better! So you didn't even choose the right year? Wow you're fucking up in life. Get your shit together

Says the user with the username more mashed than my potatoes last night.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
i'm gonna start telling people at parties that i dabble in strings
I would have double dipped my chip in the caviar and said "oh yeah?"
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Says the user with the username more mashed than my potatoes last night.

I can't argue with that lol. It's part of an old email address; I used it back when I never thought I'd use this site that much, I just wanted to ask one question and leave lol. The name I use now on other forums is: RustyShackleford. Maybe not much better because it's so overused now. But I was one of the originals, I swear!
One of the originals

Joined in 2014

suuuuureeee
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by mattedbird
I would have double dipped my chip in the caviar and said "oh yeah?"

Thank you! You obviously get it. Did he think we were back in 1700 England?
Quote by i_lovemetallica
One of the originals

Joined in 2014

suuuuureeee

You misread what I said. I'm talking about another username I use for other forums. Read what I said.
i once overheard a conversation that went like this:

do you listen to Genesis

no

omg, you need to listen to Genesis

uh...

omg you're a Genesis virgin you should really listen to Genesis.

better/worse than OP's story?

you decide. (Jake reported)
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i once overheard a conversation that went like this:

do you listen to Genesis

no

omg, you need to listen to Genesis

uh...

omg you're a Genesis virgin you should really listen to Genesis.

better/worse than OP's story?

you decide. (Jake reported)

It wasn't a story it was a serious question! But your story sounds like it's about my dad. He's always droning on and on about Genesis.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I'd have probably asked some follow-up questions like a rational human being.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I think this guy qualifies as a "string dabbler". Plays lutes, guitars, ukes....if it's got strings, he plays it. Not only that, he plays it better than YOU

Quote by TobusRex
I think this guy qualifies as a "string dabbler". Plays lutes, guitars, ukes....if it's got strings, he plays it. Not only that, he plays it better than YOU

What a beast. I can tell you the guy I met was NOTHING like this guy lol.
Quote by bbzswa777
boom roasted
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'd probably kill him. Freeze im in a minifreezer, chainsaw his body parts and leave them along highways.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
When I was in the college dorm-apartments, we had a bulletin board in the hall where my at-the-time next door neighbor made an irl thread about being a drummer and wanting to jam.

A few posts later, we met up (me being an axe man of course, if it wasn't apparent... UREH, hehe), and when we were talking on the staircase outside, one of the first bands I told him that inspired me was Nickelback. I was also a huge fan of Rascal Flatts, and have seen them live 4 times.

His reaction was pretty damn funny to me, a "that's cool" in a surface-excited, deeper-fuckthisguy way. I maintained character for maybe 2 long minutes before getting real, and he turned out to be a great friend and future roommate. (and did a tv thing with me for my followers)

You fucked up TS. Reduce your autism levels and get to know people before quick assessments
Quote by Fat Lard
When I was in the college dorm-apartments, we had a bulletin board in the hall where my at-the-time next door neighbor made an irl thread about being a drummer and wanting to jam.

A few posts later, we met up (me being an axe man of course, if it wasn't apparent... UREH, hehe), and when we were talking on the staircase outside, one of the first bands I told him that inspired me was Nickelback. I was also a huge fan of Rascal Flatts, and have seen them live 4 times.

His reaction was pretty damn funny to me, a "that's cool" in a surface-excited, deeper-fuckthisguy way. I maintained character for maybe 2 long minutes before getting real, and he turned out to be a great friend and future roommate. (and did a tv thing with me for my followers)

You fucked up TS. Reduce your autism levels and get to know people before quick assessments

lol it's not like I completely wrote him off, especially for that one reason alone. The "shoving in a locker" comment is obviously an extreme exaggeration. I would say the same thing about some of my friends sometimes. Anyway, there were other things I just didn't get along with this guy about, which is fine, but I would never refuse to give someone a chance just for one comment like that. But again, I have to reiterate this, it was more because of HOW he said it. Not what.
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'd probably kill him. Freeze im in a minifreezer, chainsaw his body parts and leave them along highways.

Thaaaaaank you! Finally someone gets it. You mean to tell me the rest of you people haven't dismembered a body in recent history? Gawl...
Quote by bbzswa777
lol it's not like I completely wrote him off, especially for that one reason alone. The "shoving in a locker" comment is obviously an extreme exaggeration. I would say the same thing about some of my friends sometimes. Anyway, there were other things I just didn't get along with this guy about, which is fine, but I would never refuse to give someone a chance just for one comment like that. But again, I have to reiterate this, it was more because of HOW he said it. Not what.

Either way, it sounds like you've given this guy you met at a party a lot of after-thought. Even going so far as to make a thread to wonder if -- for whatever reason -- not jamming with this guy was the right action...

It's not too late, man! Go to him !! ~~
Quote by Fat Lard
Either way, it sounds like you've given this guy you met at a party a lot of after-thought. Even going so far as to make a thread to wonder if -- for whatever reason -- not jamming with this guy was the right action...

It's not too late, man! Go to him !! ~~

And he just happens to be at the airport right now, about to get on the last flight out of town! (get ready to start a slow clap)
Quote by bbzswa777
And he just happens to be at the airport right now, about to get on the last flight out of town! (get ready to start a slow clap)

Dayum! Shit! That is wack!
Page 1 of 3