Been saving for several years now. Started out I was going to get an american tele, but while I was in the store checking it out I tried out a Gibson Led Paul studio and liked it so much better the tele was prertty much off the table. The Gibson was $500 more and I didn't have enough cash so I didn't get anything. Couple months have passed and I have more money. In the meantime I've been looking at the new JTV Variax 89 (great sounding on YouTube). Torn between getting a classic guitar or another modeler with tons more options. They're within a few hundred $$$ of each other so that's not an issue. Can't try it though before I buy so it's a site unseen order, same as with my 700. The 700 has been my best purchase so I'm kinda leaning that way. Any insights?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Interesting. The two guitar types that I use the most are LP-alikes with Floyds and a pair of JTV89Fs.
I can't speak for your 89s, but I specifically asked for new-in-tne-box untouched-by-guitar-center-hands guitars, and got a pair of factory sealed boxes, shipped to my local GC, and I opened them right there in the store. Mine were very well set up, had great low action. One had an issue -- someone at the factory had swapped the modeling and alternate tuning knobs. Quickly remedied, and they really haven't needed anything since.

I have an older Variaxas well, but yours is better. MIne's a 500, and I have no idea how old it really is (great condition, though), and I've got an Acoustic 700.

I've got a really wide range of LPs, costwise -- one is a $4K Gibson Axcess Custom with about $1500 worth of additional work, and the cheapest is a $200 Agile B stock. I love Gibsons and all, but I'm generally not a fan of the Studios. Couldn't pin down exactly why. If you need any further comments on either of these choices, just yell.
I'm thinking I'd probably be happier with the variax. Can you still switch between output s? I have my xlr going to a pa for acoustic and 1\4 jack to amp for everything else with the 700. The improvements will be the easier access to alternate tuning and standard pickups.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I tried out a Variax several years ago. Thought it was pretty cool, Although I'd already crossed over to the dark side of guitar synths so it was more of a novelty to me, Granted something like the Roland GR-55 is a bit spendy at $799 with an ugly ass GK-3 pickup system, or $699 without in case you opt for a synth access guitar or add on internal system like the Graphtech Ghost Hexpander . But once you cross over its hard to go back, Just food for thought