Hi guys,

https://soundcloud.com/lessixmorts/8string-2-12-mixing2 (new version)
https://soundcloud.com/lessixmorts/8-string-2-12-other-mix (this is a mix of the same song by someone else)
I also have another one up, i remixed it since last time.
https://soundcloud.com/lessixmorts/8stringheavyreremix5

any constructive comments appreciated
Last edited by d0wn_paym3nt_blues at Jan 11, 2017,
That's a sick tone dude, what do you use for it?

My main crit is that the drum mix is awful. Guitars completely overpower it and the kick and snare barely make an impact.

The Meshuggah nods here and there are pretty sweet. Would say that the slightly more complex parts are something you should focus on when it comes to timing, they were off by quite a bit.

But overall, conceptually sound.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
EpiExplorer
Thanks for the feedback.
I used bias desktop for the guitars. The guitar itself is a schecter hellraiser.
I'll try something for the drums. Maybe I need sidechain compression? Are the guitars too loud overall?
I added a different mix done by someone else.
It will be a good idea to rerecord the guitars when I finish this project.

Do you have something I should listen to?

Thanks again.
Last edited by d0wn_paym3nt_blues at Jan 8, 2017,
I'd reconsider the approach to drum mixing from the ground up. Drums should be the clearest, most notable thing in every mix. Old piece of advice is to makes sure that, even if everything else is inaudiable, your kick and snare should be the most clear thing you can hear. I'd dial back the guitars, boost the entire drum kit, also work on the snare velocities because it's a bit robotic and also use a reference song for the mix. Considering the genre, I'd recommend something like Vildhjarta or TesseracT. Just load something like that into its own track in your project session and keep it muted then use it for a reference.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Substantially better, I'd almost call that demo worthy. Nice work dude One thing is to put less emphasis on the cymbals and clear up the high and low end of the mix by doing a highpass/lowpass on your drum mix. Cut off below 30hz and above 16khz or whenever the cymbals start to sound jittery and lose definition.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Hey man, thanks for the feedback.

The drums still sound off. The snare doesn't have that beef and snap in them. It might be because the drums are too low in the mix.
The overall track sounds good. I love that guitar tone, but as a song I feel like it doesn't go anywhere; it feels empty. Its missing vocals or something; maybe some light synths to fill out the space.
DirtyChain
Thanks for listening. I'm still working on the drums, it seems like the hardest element to get right (though probably a lot of stuff still need some work, I'm just an enthusiast)
I wish I could lay some vocals on it myself, because it definitely needs some.
It sounds better than before. I still believe the guitars are too loud, but it sounds the way it is.