So I bought a vintage phase 90 from right after when Jim Dunlop took over. When I plug it in only makes this fuzzy noise without any modulation. Ive checked the batteries and even tried the adapter, so it's not a power issue. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also how do I take the electronics out because they are face down and stuck into the box?
I figured out how to take it apart and all of the connections seem intact. I don't know what is wrong.
Last edited by 70001407 at Jan 8, 2017,
Unless the circuit is something as simple as a couple of pots and capacitors, electronics by their nature can be very difficult to diagnose.

I would suggest cleaning out the input and output jacks, ensuring they're making good contact and are free of oxidation. Then cleaning out the pots with deoxit. If the problem persists, I would start taking the pedal apart and check that every component on the board is doing everything it's supposed to with a multimeter.

There's a possibility that the previous owner put the contacts of the battery on backwards, causing some of the components on the board to burn out. Which may explain why the seller sold it to you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I got it from guitar center, and it's not the type you can put the battery in on backwards. I might just take it back and have them look at. Any idea how much that'll cost? I didn't get the insurance thing.
I wouldn't imagine Guitar Splinter knowing the first thing about guitar electronics tbh. Just because they offer repair services doesn't mean they actually know what they're doing.

Impossible to know how much they'd charge for repairing something like that. It entirely depends on what exactly is wrong with the pedal.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I emailed them, now I'll just wait for a response. If there's nothing they can do I'm still well in the return period. And even then I might just gut out a modern Phase 90, which should be exactly the same, and put it in the vintage box.
Last edited by 70001407 at Jan 9, 2017,