Hey guitar warriors, I'm looking for some opinions on amps (something I'm sure is in short supply here ). I've gone down a lot of rabbit holes in this past few days researching this, and I have some questions I haven't quite seen answered. Apologies if I'm making any wrong assumptions here. To start with, here's what I'm looking for:

- A smallish combo amp, but preferably powerful enough for small stage use - so probably 15-30W but possibly more
- It needs to be pedal-friendly -- preferably with an effects loop
- Probably a tube amp but I'm open to solid state or hybrids if they meet my other criteria
- I need a line out for recording, and also for headphone use (headphone jack is a plus) -- I need to be able to run it completely silent and still achieve essentially the full tonal range, meaning I likely need some kind of cabinet emulation, or a modeling amp

I'm pretty new to electric guitar, but my interests lean more toward chimey clean sounds along with the ability to add overdrive -- essentially indie rock territory, as opposed to, say, metal. I can elaborate if necessary. I recently bought a Vox AC15 on the advice of a friend, and I love the sound, but it's just not practical in my apartment, so I will likely be returning it in favor or something better suited to being quiet. In the short term, the ability to play over headphones and record directly via a mixer is more important than the ability to use it on-stage.

Amps I'm considering:

- The Blackstar HT series, such as the HT-5R or HT Club 40. Obviously the 5R isn't really stage-ready, but I'm more concerned about playing/recording in my apartment at this point. The Club 40 seems pretty similar feature-wise except that it doesn't have a headphone out, but it does have a line out with cabinet emulation.

- The Blackstar ID series, such as the ID:30TVP or ID:60TVP. No tubes, but I've heard good things about their sound. Also no built-in effects loop, though the 60TVP can now use an effects loop at the cost of the line out. My other concern is whether I would have trouble with overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals since it's solid state. Anyone here have experience using pedals with these amps?

- The Vox AV30. I've heard good things about this one, and it has an effects loop and also a headphone jack. Unfortunately it doesn't have a line out. If anyone here has an AV30, have you tried recording via the headphone jack, probably with a converter? Does it sound any good?

- The Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 20 looks intriguing, though I'd prefer a combo amp rather than a head.

Any opinions about these, or other favorites or suggestions? I'm sure there are many other options out there. Thanks in advance!
You should also check out the laney iron heart series. Lots of features for home use.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Maybe out of budget but the Mesa Mark V:25 or V:35 may fit the bill.

Peavey's MH heads have some cool recording and silent features - check out the ValveKing MH and Classic MH.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'd pick up the Carvin Nomad. It's a 1x12 combo amp, all tube, two channel, compact, 50W of EL84 power and, quite honestly, capable of pretty much anything. $649 direct from Carvin, generally $350 or so for a really good used one on eBay or Craigs. Drawbacks: No line out, no headphone jack.

For absolutely quiet practice and recording, I'd probably find a good used Pod XT or HD, and honestly, if I were taking that a step further, I'd find a good powered PA-type monitor (like Carvin's PM12A, which has a 12" and a tweeter, 400W RMS) and use that for playing out.
If you really want it to be tube, everything you listed there is either solid state or hybrid. Maybe you don't care, but from the way you said, "Probably a tube amp" it makes me think that you think the Blackstar HTs and H&K Tubemeisters are all-tube, and they aren't.

Apologies if that's not what's going on, but their sketchy (in my opinion) advertising really annoys me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A non master volume, unattenuated Plexi full stack

In all seriousness though, you can always turn the volume down. If you want optimal tone at bedroom, apartment friendly volumes, a tube amp isn't so practical for that. You could just hang on to the AC15 for live use, and go with a modeling/VST solution for practicing at home with.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I'll just pitch in my two cents not to discount a small head and cab arrangement. Peoples' taste in amps tends to change more than their taste in speakers, and if you have a small 1x12 can you like, you can swap different low wattage heads you acquire in the future to match your current musical tastes. Combos are bigger and heavier, and if you acquire several of them you are essentially left with a bunch of redundant speakers.

If youd really like a combo with nice sparkly cleans that can also do classic rock growl and a little metal (think Randy Rhoads, not brutal distortion), Id advise you to take a look at the Bogner Alchemist. Really sweet sounding 1x12 40 watt combo. That amp gets a bad rap on some forums for not being a "true" Bogner, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a shiva or ecstasy and, in my opinion, it still sounds really good. YT has some good players demoing it and the amp pops up cheap on the user market.
^ it's also about 5 times his budget. i mean, if he could afford a triamp he could afford near enough anything on the market.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. i'm not sure if there's really anything cheaper that does exactly what the triamp does. there are certainly much cheaper amps which will do some of what the triamp does if you don't need all of those tones (plus i wasn't that keen on the triamp's heavier tones anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't really comment on anything listed here, but...
I had a Vox AD30VT that did pretty good for most of your needs.
It doesn't have an effects loop, but you can modify it and add an effects loop (I did with mine).
Last I checked, quite awhile back, the AD100VT did come with an effects loop.

It does have an AC15 and AC30 setting.
Although I found the AC30 setting wasn't quite all there, even when running through the same cab (I have an AC30), but it still sounded pretty good.
But that was on the 2nd Generation models (1st Gen models only came in 60 and 120 watt versions).
Newer models may do better.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 13, 2017,
Just get a POD HD500X. Output it so some decent speakers, I run mine through a pair of logitech computer speakers.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.