Well, yeah, obviously not my pinnacle moment as an engineer....

Right, I shifted from .09s that came on the GEEtar for a set of .11s - mainly because the .09s that are on there are like cheese wire to my digits.

Let me add that I would REALLY REALLY REALLY prefer to keep the .11s on....

Basically I was aware that the FR bridge would need adjustment, spring tension etc. After fiddling around for the last, uh, I dunno, 3 hours I have ended up with....

1. FR Bridge Spring Tension Plate (I assume that is the 'technical term' :rolleyes is near enough screwn in all the way to it's mounting position on the body.
2. Step 1 leaves the FR bridge bottoming out when there is no string tension
3. Once I have applied string tension and started to get the guitar to tune (more on this coming...) the FR starts to lift into the correct position.
4. By the time I have got 1 or two of the strings somewhere near tune and I move up or down I end up with the FR bridge lifting drastically towards the neck.
5. Obvously, can't get this mofo in tune
6. I am aware that I am a tool....
7. Moved springs from | | | position to /|\ position and it has had little to no impact on result
8. Happy to do truss rod and action adjustments if/when needed

So, any advice. Where can I go next? Already looked through the FR set up guide however I can't find where it covers changing gauges (but I am funking tired and frustrated at the moment)

Am I missing a trick?
More springs?
Stiffer springs?

Can't send it to a guitar tech - there isn't one....
Can't get springs easily.....
And, I'm difficult and want the .11s on

Any takers?

Thanks all for reading
How many springs do you have? If you angle them instead of putting them straight across, it applies a little more tension.

Find a pink eraser, piece of cardboard, wad up a shirt, etc and stick it under the Floyd rose block. The other side of where the springs are. Make sure it holds the Floyd horizontal, and doesn't move. Alternatively you could just hold the bridge flat with one hand using the trem bar.

Tune guitar

Remove whatever you put in there and tighten the spring claw until it is back in tune and flat bridge. If you can't do that than you need more springs. After you get it flat you're going to need a truss adjustment. Good luck.
Quote by hydreliox
Well, yeah, obviously not my pinnacle moment as an engineer....

Right, I shifted from .09s that came on the GEEtar for a set of .11s - mainly because the .09s that are on there are like cheese wire to my digits.

The Floyd is like a teeter-totter -- if you increase the tension on one side, you have to balance it by increasing the tension on the other.

You've learned one Floyd lesson. Don't change string gauges unless you have to. Second Floyd lesson: learn to block the trem. There are two places to do this, depending on whether you have too much spring tension or two much string tension. In your case it's the latter, so you take the cover of the spring cavity off, loosen the strings (did I mention loosen the strings), lift the handle on the FR until it's flat, and then put the appropriate size stack of Post-It notes between the guitar body and the "sustain block" dangling down into the cavity. You're going to have to add spring tension, which means that you're going to have to screw the "claw" on the other end of the springs into the body some more.

Don't tune one string at a time. You're going to want to start with the big thick strings and bring everything up with those first. THEN you can bring the skinny strings up to tension. There's going to be some fuckwithage while you get everything balanced out. There are some YouTube vids that will guide you through the process.

I use 9's and 10's on Floyds (Muhuwahahah). ELEVENS. Sheesh.
Sounds like you need a fourth spring for those 11s. What tuning are you after?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
guitarkid8 dspellman Thanks for the feedback. Will try blocking the trem and then giving it another go.

metalmingee Standard tuning - although right now I might settle for drop D

One of the issues I am having is I can get the EAD close enough to tune - but by the time I get the the High E it throws out Low E/A quite a lot (somewhere close to C#/F#). Start the tuning process again and bridge lifts to an unacceptable point.

I think an extra spring is probably the way forward - I just can't get one for a month (by the time it is shipped) which puts me in a spot.

As for 11s - meh, what can you do - I used to prefer skinny strings but the 9s just don't have enough crunch to them, could go for 10s but I'd still prefer some 11s. Each to their own I guess - I know it is a bit outside the norm for FRs.

Should I reset the claw to somewhere near 'factory default' or use my current 'knowledge' (pff, is that what I'm calling it?) and accept "THE CLAAAAAW" needs to be tight to it's mounting position in the route.

Hmmm, final thought - the springs don't yet seems to have physically stretch, but I am aware they are a very high tension spring. Do they generally move like a 'bar' as opposed to a springy spring? What I mean by this is should I see any openings in the spring once it has tension applied?

Thanks all
If you're on E standard with 11s that's a lot of tension. You'll need that additional spring if the claw is all the way to the body. For now you may want to try Eb tuning till you can get that extra spring.
dthmtl3 Just as I thought really - as I am so tight to the body would it be worth installing 2 springs so I can ease back on the screw. Good idea on the drop tuning, at least it might get me playing.

I'll be going to the city later and I can drop by the music shop - I seem to remember that they sell some cheap FR clones and other bridges in there so if nothing else i can steal a few springs from a full set. Might get lucky and they just sell the springs....live in hope, die in despair.

Final question then....any particular brand of spring, sizes on tension that is specific or are they a reasonable generic unit?
Doesn't really matter. FR sells springs, and there are bunch of generic and some other brands. As far as I now they only come in coated or uncoated, no tensions or anything of the sort.
dthmtl3 Thanks for the info. Went into the LMS and they had a variety of cheap tremolos in for around $30 bucks a piece. Whilst I was asking and inquiring a kind hearted sales guy took pity on me and nicked 2 springs from one of their guitars and gave them to me! So, all of my problems have fantastically vanished I will upgrade tonight.

Is it a case of adding 'just enough' springs or is there any benefit of 4 vs 5?
You just need enough tension, no difference 4 vs 5.

When you tune get everything ballpark then do low e, high e, a, b, d, then g. Don't waste your time getting the tuning spot on here as it's going to change. Do this enough times so that you notice the other strings aren't really going out of tune anymore. Now you go through and get everything spot on. You will be able to do it. Clamp the lock nut and re-check with the fine tuners.
hydreliox
I hope you go back and buy something, anything from that shop - strings, picks, anything. . . . That was really nice of them.

Start by blocking your trem so that it sits flat, or mostly flat and tune it up. It will take a ton of time out of getting the guitar setup. Basically block the trem, tune it up, press the trem down and remove the block, let it back up - refine your spring claws/spring positions/number of springs. Repeat as needed. You can get close way faster this way.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee You are absolutely right and I did get a few packs of Jim Dunlop strap locks and a new capo for the acoustic whilst I was in there. Planning to give them plenty of support these days

Thanks for the tips for the trem blocking. Didn't manage to get to it last night but will have a go this evening. Once I get clearance for the missus for some new pickups we'll really start to turn it into a customised beast xD

Thanks for everyone's help and input - I'd be really struggling without it!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
If it were me..
I'd go back to the 9's or 10's or whatever were on there. If you're used to acoustic guitars, you're used to 12's or thicker. But that's not what an electric is all about. You let the pickups do the work. So you may NOT want to put 11's on an electric guitar just because you're used to heavier strings on an acoustic.

I'd also leave the pickups alone. There seems to be a disease in these forums that infects people and has them tweaking their truss rods every 15 minutes, changing out their pickups every six months and asking "what amp for metal" every third thread. Noobiosis or something. If you *aren't* new to your guitar (you are) and if you've tried it through various amps at length (you haven't) and if you know exactly what you're looking for, in specifics, in the tone of the guitar that's missing now (you don't), and if you know which pickups do what (nope), *then* you might want to consider something different in pickups.

99% of all guitarists are better off leaving them alone.
dspellman That was quite a presumptive post potentially. Points taken on board but perhaps you may be reading too much into my knowledge base. Thanks for taking the time to read though.

in the tone of the guitar that's missing now (you don't), and if you know which pickups do what (nope), *then* you might want to consider something different in pickups.

SD Stag Mags are right up my street!
Last edited by hydreliox at Jan 10, 2017,