I haven't seen any of these locally to try out. For anyone who has tried one of these, how would you rate the distortion channel? As far as brutalness of the sound? The original VK isn't a very brutal amp by any stretch, but I've seen a couple of youtube videos that showcase the valveking 20MH to have a rather 6505-ish capability. Is the VK capable of that?

Main use would be to retire my XXX-212 that I use to gig with because it is heavy. Classic rock through 2000 era metal.
Why not just get the 6505 if your main focus is on metal tones?

The Valveking isn't exactly the gainiest amp in the world.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
sorry but without a fair bit of help from an overdrive the VK isn't doing modern metal and the 20 watt version certainly isn't. as mentioned it just isn't a really high gain amp. the 20 watt head has limited headroom and I don't see it as a gigging amp if you want it for metal. you'd be better off investing in a cart for your XXX.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not just get the 6505 if your main focus is on metal tones?

The Valveking isn't exactly the gainiest amp in the world.

I need a larger variety of tones than the 6505 gives. The XXX is great, but as noted is really heavy so I'm looking for a mini head and cabinet to replace it.

Quote by monwobobbo
sorry but without a fair bit of help from an overdrive the VK isn't doing modern metal and the 20 watt version certainly isn't. as mentioned it just isn't a really high gain amp. the 20 watt head has limited headroom and I don't see it as a gigging amp if you want it for metal. you'd be better off investing in a cart for your XXX.

That was my understanding of the original Valveking but the demos on youtube make me think that this new amp has more gain. That is why I started the thread to see if anyone has played with them.
Honestly, if you want variety in a small package... look for a used Carvin V3M.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
EVH 5150 III 50-watt head should cover you nicely.

But...they're kind of pricey, even used. I haven't played the 6505 MH, but I've played (or owned) all of the other 6505 models. The 6505+, I found to actually be more versatile than its given credit for. As in, the rhythm channel does sound quite different from the lead channel, and I found it excellent for hard-rock, thrash, and tight modern metal rhythm tones. The lead channel is more modern but can still do thrash and hard rock. I got good cleans with mine as well. I don't know how the MH holds up to the others but that's what I found with the 6505+. My point is, try a 6505 MH before you dismiss it as "not being versatile enough."

The last time I played a Valveking I thought "the overdrive sounds would need quite A LOT of help for me to be happy with them." But the cleans are excellent.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jan 9, 2017,
If 15W is enough check out the Laney IronHeart IRT Studio. Used is in budget and 3 channels from nice cleans to the brootz.

You may want to drop it into a small rack case for gigging.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Jeffh40
I need a larger variety of tones than the 6505 gives. The XXX is great, but as noted is really heavy so I'm looking for a mini head and cabinet to replace it.

That was my understanding of the original Valveking but the demos on youtube make me think that this new amp has more gain. That is why I started the thread to see if anyone has played with them.

the gain doesn't hold up well at band volumes. at bedroom volumes you can get a fair bit of gain but once you start to turn the amp up the gain level that is usable decreases. past around 4-5 the gain gets real mushy at higher volumes. with an overdrive the gain tightens up but still doesn't hit modern metal tones very well. I use a VK for practice but don't play much modern metal (70s-early 80s metal) great amp for classic rock and early metal but not for modern down tuned stuff.
Quote by monwobobbo
the gain doesn't hold up well at band volumes.

Good to know. Thanx.

Quote by KailM
EVH 5150 III 50-watt head should cover you nicely.

But...they're kind of pricey, even used.... My point is, try a 6505 MH before you dismiss it as "not being versatile enough."

Yeah, the EVH 5150 50w and the Mesa Mini are on my list. Price isn't as much of an issue as weight and portability. Good to know about 6505, I hadn't really considered it since we do older metal and rock.