Hey all,

I have been buying cheap cables off amazon for the past 3 years probably. Problem is, they keep breaking.

I know I can solder the connection ends and it'll probably fix, but, I don't have a solder, and to be honest, I hate doing that kind of shit and just want a cable that won't break.

So, will an expensive cable last me? If so, I really don't want to spend more than 30 bucks if possible... any recommendations?

Thanks!
Planet Waves are good and reasonably priced. my personal fav is Conquest but I don't know if Amazon carries those. you don't have to go nuts with cables but real cheap ones don' t last so you spend more in the long run replacing them.
I don't much like planet waves I've only tried them from way back when they were a new company, though, maybe they've improved.

I pretty much agree with what you said, though- it's worth paying a bit to get the decent stuff (but that can often be got for £10-£20 per cable, less for patch cables), but once you get there i'm not sure it's worth paying any more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at the Rapco or Live Wires generic GC cables - buy the ones with the warranty and then keep your receipt. Cable breaks - you pop in to GC and get a new one. That's what I did when I was touring - all cable breakage and failure was covered by their lifetime warranty.

If you want to buy something that will last a lifetime - look at Fatsoflex.
i just replaced my kyser capo i bought for like 12 bucks after about 8 years. And I lost it too, it was still good.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Quote by diabolical
Look at the Rapco or Live Wires generic GC cables - buy the ones with the warranty and then keep your receipt. Cable breaks - you pop in to GC and get a new one. That's what I did when I was touring - all cable breakage and failure was covered by their lifetime warranty.

If you want to buy something that will last a lifetime - look at Fatsoflex.

The LiveWire Elites at GC are most definitely worth it. They are exact replicas of the much more expensive Mogami Golds, and you can get the 10 footers for ~25.00 (even cheaper if you hit a sale). I have owned several for years now and have never had to return one, and they are nice and quiet (no crackle/hiss etc) and very solidly built. Like diabolical said above, if you do happen to ever have a problem with one, just walk into a GC and they'll give you a new one to replace it.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
I used to have cheap cables break all the time. I now always pay decent money for them, and i have to say, that in the last 5 years i had like 1 cable break. Before i had about one a month. So yeah, its worth it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't much like planet waves I've only tried them from way back when they were a new company, though, maybe they've improved.

I pretty much agree with what you said, though- it's worth paying a bit to get the decent stuff (but that can often be got for £10-£20 per cable, less for patch cables), but once you get there i'm not sure it's worth paying any more.

Planet Waves is D'Addario. Not a new company at all, just a rebranding.
If you're going to break cables at a regular pace, it makes sense to buy the lifetime guarantee products and then swap them out when you ruin one.

I buy cable (Canare, Mogami) and ends (Neutrik) in bulk and build my own, and I usually have a bag of them ready to go when one craps out. You can build a bunch in one evening and then, when you start getting low, retrieve the old ones and start checking them over and repairing. The initial cables are as good or better than the lifetime guarantee versions, and they cost far less, and I don't have to make a trip to a GC to get a new one.
Quote by Sayonara6String
Planet Waves is D'Addario. Not a new company at all, just a rebranding.

yeah i know, but you know what i mean

Quote by dspellman
If you're going to break cables at a regular pace, it makes sense to buy the lifetime guarantee products and then swap them out when you ruin one.

i'm never sure if that's a good idea or not. Do you need to keep the original receipt? Even if you don't, if the manufacturer goes out of business your lifetime guarantee is worthless (and you've likely paid more for the cable because of that guarantee), or if the store you bought it in goes out of business it might not be worth your while to return it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i know, but you know what i mean

i'm never sure if that's a good idea or not. Do you need to keep the original receipt? Even if you don't, if the manufacturer goes out of business your lifetime guarantee is worthless (and you've likely paid more for the cable because of that guarantee), or if the store you bought it in goes out of business it might not be worth your while to return it...

in most cases you do need the original receipt. of course if they go out of business well then you are shit out of luck but that can be said of anything. that kind of warrenty is only given out if the maker doesn't expect many returns. this usually means high quality item. I know that Whirlwind has that kind of warrenty and if nothing else you can sent the chord back to them and they will replace it (they are local here). I've had a couple of their cords for probably 15 years and thy still work fine.
I've used Lava cables for years without any breaking. They also sound better than most (lower capacitance).
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I bought a full set of monster cables over a decade ago. Haven't replaced a one of them. They also have a lifetime guarantee.
Just to echo the above posts: Buy the more expensive cables once instead of the cheap ones 3 times.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I'm going to echo the Guitar Center approach just because you get the lifetime warranty. The cables I've bought were about $35-40. I've tried using a cheaper cable in my rig and I was quite shocked to hear the amount of tone loss from the cheaper cable.

For me, they're worth the extra few bucks!
Try adding more delay.
Quote by monwobobbo
(a) in most cases you do need the original receipt. (b) of course if they go out of business well then you are shit out of luck but that can be said of anything. (c) that kind of warrenty is only given out if the maker doesn't expect many returns. this usually means high quality item. I know that Whirlwind has that kind of warrenty and if nothing else you can sent the chord back to them and they will replace it (they are local here). I've had a couple of their cords for probably 15 years and thy still work fine.

(a) Yeah. I dunno about the USA, but i know here that with the type of ink they tend to use here on receipts it's often faded before you're out of your year's warranty, let alone a lifetime one!

(b) True but it's highly unlikely that both the retailer and the manufacturer will go out of business- here in the UK at least your contract is with the retailer, so for a regular warranty (usually a year) with a product where you're not paying a premium for a lifetime warranty, even if the manufacturer goes bust you should still be able to get the thing refunded or replaced if the retailer still exists. That's not the case with extended (manufacturers') warranties where you'd usually have to get recourse from the manufacturer (and can't if it's gone bust).

(c) That's a fair point, i guess, but at the same time not necessarily. It can often be a bluff if they don't actually expect most people to bother returning the thing even if it does break- especially if you need the receipt (they're easily lost, or as i said, can fade). As you said, they don't expect many returns, but that can be for a number of reasons, not just that it's a high quality product .
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Remember, the best warranty is the one you never need to use.

After having 3 Planet Waves cables break on me I got tired of bringing them back. I won't buy any more of them. Fender branded cables and the GC Live wire cables have been going strong for me for a while without any failures. You don't need the receipt for either since they are lifetime warrantied.

Re-soldering the end if it should break is easy, but you can't access the ends on Planet Waves cords and I suspect the breaks in my chourds were somewhere in the length of the cord, not in the end.
Thanks everyone, I'm thinking bout going the lifetime warranty GC route.

Appreciate the help!
I also went the GC Gold cables. They work great and don't coil up too easily. Don't underestimate the nice features of the shielding.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The GC generic are very good for the price and as long as you keep the original receipt you can exchange as long as they're in business.

That's what I've done with them when I was touring and even if the ink gets faded they still honor, never had any issues with it.

I've also had to change a D'Addario or Dimarzio cable once, they just shipped new one, no questions asked.
Just snap a photo of your receipt with your phone. No need to worry about fading. I've also found that by putting important receipts in a book they tend not to fade as quickly. Exposure to light and heat is what causes the ink to fade.

As for cables I have an odd assortment of cheap and expensive. Oddly enough my 8 dollar cheapo cable that I have used for gigging and practicing off and on since 1996 still works just fine. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw when it comes to cables.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jan 11, 2017,
Quote by ThunderPunk
(a) Just snap a photo of your receipt with your phone. No need to worry about fading. (b) I've also found that by putting important receipts in a book they tend not to fade as quickly. Exposure to light and heat is what causes the ink to fade.

(a) What if your phone dies?

(b) Yeah I guess. But depending on how many cables you're buying, and how many different occasions, that's going to get annoying fairly quickly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) What if your phone dies?

Your photos aren't backed up in the cloud???

Google+ automatically backs up as soon as I get a wifi signal.
Not many things are more annoying to guitarists than crappy cables that wear out in less than a year. You're better off paying more for a quality cable than buying crap over and over again. I used to buy cheap cables (the no name cables you can get at GC for under $10), and after replacing three in a single year, it's more economical to buy the $25 cables that last many years.

I've been using Monster cables for the past 6 or 7 years and they haven't failed yet. Plus with a lifetime guarantee, if something does break, you can get them replaced for free. You can't loose! Plus, the prices are pretty reasonable.
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
At my local guitar center the cable is all you need for a free return of the exact item. Out of all the Monster Cable I bought over the years I only returned once, and to be honest it could have been something else in the chain.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Why does everyone worry about the receipt? They ask you for your phone number every time you buy something. If you buy it and give them your info, they can look it up again. They never asked me for a receipt when returning because they've just asked me when I bought it (roughly) and looked it up in their system.
Try adding more delay.
^ Ah ok. I'm not in the USA so I haven't dealt with GC. I'm still kind of paranoid that they might not find it. plus i'm not sure i'd want to give out my details for the sake of the price of a cable.

that being said, with stores here i'm guessing you'd need a receipt.

Quote by Jeffh40
Your photos aren't backed up in the cloud???

Google+ automatically backs up as soon as I get a wifi signal.

i don't even have a smartphone
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 12, 2017,
Planet Waves are good, and I've used Whirlwind before and that thing's lasted me forever. I swear by the Fender Tweed range now, but in answer to your question, yeah, it's worth spending a bit more money. Up to a point you get what you pay for.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by Dave_Mc

i don't even have a smartphone

Well as rare as that is, you aren't alone. Our bass player doesn't have a cell phone or computer. I have no idea how he functions but he does.
haha

i mean i have a mobile/cell phone. i just don't use it that much and prefer pay as you go, and internet is pretty pricey that way (plus i'm never convinced smart phones are that secure, at least the cheaper ones i'd likely get )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought a Mogami about a year ago and haven't looked back, great cable and even after a year of heavy use it looks brand new.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
Just get the livewire cables with the little blue sleeves on the ends from guitar center and save the receipts. The one I got with my first guitar lasted about 5 years. Then I bought a few more and they are still working after 7, although I did have to resolder one. If i had the receipt, I couldve just taken it back and gotten a new one.

Get yourself one of these puppies. I've had one for years and it's yet to show any sign of wear.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
My first cable from 4 years ago was a Kirlin. I've quite done everything wrong to it at the time, but it still works : ) Had many cables since and all other brands lasted for a couple of months and then stopped.
Dunlop CBM95 Mini Crybaby -> (EHX Silencer) -> Ibanez TS9DX -> Seymour Duncan Palladium -> (EHX Silencer) -> Caline 10 Band EQ -> MXR Phase 90 -> Boss TR-2 Tremolo -> Visual Sound H2O
Cordial cables with Neutrik connectors. They don't cost a lot (ranging from 8.50 - 45 euro for 6 metres) and are very durable and always easy to solder. Never had one break and I've been playing since 2007. As long as you don't misuse these cables they will last pretty much forever, so just make sure to coil them properly and not pull the cable too much.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!