I have a cheap Cylclone guitar that I got from my band teacher at school for $50. I noticed right away that the pickups sounded really muddy and kind of like single coils if that makes sense. I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan JB and also got a new volume pot but that didn't really seem to help. It helped with the single coil-ness; it actually sounds like a humbucker, but the tone is still muddy, lacks the clarity it should have, and has lots of bass frequencies. If I palm mute, the amp actually starts to clip a little bit with the bass frequencies. And before you ask, yes, the tone on the guitar is turned all the way up. I have two other guitars with JB pickups and I haven't ever had this problem. I think it's the guitar, because I had the same problem with two different pickups on the same guitar. I don't believe in the tone wood theory, I think all the tone comes from the electronics, wood does not have electronic qualities and cannot change the sound that the pickups produce. The switch is really old, the tone pot is as well, and I don't really know anything about the capacitor I have. Would the cap affect the muddiness of my tone? Also, the bridge is really crappy and I'm thinking about buying a Fender bridge to put on it. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas of what is making my pickup sound muddy, please reply.
Last edited by anakin3482 at Jan 9, 2017,
i thought the cap only really affected things if the tone knob wasn't on 10, but i could be wrong about that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hardwire the JB to the output jack and see what you have. Once that works then add back in the other components to the circuit.

And make sure the pickup isn't too close to the strings.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
A JB isn't a muddy pickup at all, so the first thing to do is what he ^ said, and wire it to the jack to see if the problem is elsewhere. Bad tone pot? Other bad electronics? Check the JB with a meter to make sure it is reading right.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan