Poll: Which Amp Do You Think Is Best For My Band's Sound and My Playing Style:
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Amp Do You Think Is Best For My Band's Sound and My Playing Style:
Hughes & Kettner TM18H TubeMeister 18
3 38%
Fender Bassbreaker 15
2 25%
Bugera 1960 INFINIUM
1 13%
Carvin X100B EL34 100W Head
2 25%
Voters: 8.
Hey All and thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm the guitarist and singer in a Pop-Punk band called "Penelope Tree". I'm a good musician and songwriter however when it comes to the tech side of playing guitar my knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I'm turning to all the incredibly experienced and knowledgable users of UG to help me choose my next Amp.
I'm after a head that is versatile and easy to use, so far I have narrowed my search to 4 options which are listed in the Poll below; but so you know a bit about me/my playing style: I play a combination of lead/rhythm guitar throughout our set and I have an external pedal-board which contains all your major FX.

Here's a link to our music to get an idea of our sound: https://penelopetreeuk.bandcamp.com/releases

I'm very grateful for any help/advice.
I voted for the bass breaker but to be honest... I don't think any of the amps you have listed nail the tone you're looking for.

Most pop punk outfits tend toward Mesa or Marshall 800 type tones. I wouldnt trust a Bugera to handle the road.

Is there a reason you are considering low wattage amps? I'm guessing a Mesa is way out of your range? If you're looking at Carvin look into the V3 or V3M.

Used Peavey JSX or XXX might work too.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jan 11, 2017,
Quote by ThunderPunk
Most pop punk outfits tend toward Mesa or Marshall 800 type tones.
I know less about the Marshall voicings (or Carvin) than I should, but it does have the typical EL34 power section (stock, has switch for EL34, 5881 and 6L6) and from what I am hearing from a Youtube demo, it is fairly 80's Marshally.

glenndavidson10 Are you taking into account the cabinet into your budget as well? I would imagine you would want at least a 2x12.
OP, I'd suggest Marshall DSL40C or JCM2000 DSL head + 2x12 cab. The H&K Tubemeister 36 watter might do it, but not the small one IMO.
Look into Orange - the TH30 or OR30 or OR50 would be great amps for the basics of these sounds. Also Traynor is a good choice - the Traynor YCV50Blue 50 watter.
Hey all, thanks for the help so far I'm definitely going to start looking into some of the heads you've suggested.
Will Lane I must admit, for the size we are I haven't taken a cab into account yet and probably won't be purchasing one for the near future. My actual budget for the head is max £600, but ideally looking at £500-£550
Quote by ThunderPunk
I voted for the bass breaker but to be honest... I don't think any of the amps you have listed nail the tone you're looking for.

Most pop punk outfits tend toward Mesa or Marshall 800 type tones. I wouldnt trust a Bugera to handle the road.

Is there a reason you are considering low wattage amps? I'm guessing a Mesa is way out of your range? If you're looking at Carvin look into the V3 or V3M.

Used Peavey JSX or XXX might work too.

Thanks for the help ThunderPunk , unfortunately Mesa is way out of my price range but I've really looked into the Bugera and understand they can be flakey on the road. Will look into the V3M (y)
Depending on where you are located you can find a used single rec for $600.
What is your budget?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
What is your budget?

+1 look for a rectoverb.

also i would highly recommend a jsx. the head is in budget, as well as the combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by bobafettacheese
What is your budget?
bobafettacheese My actual budget for the head is max £600, but ideally looking at £500-£550
Quote by glenndavidson10
Hey all, thanks for the help so far I'm definitely going to start looking into some of the heads you've suggested.
Will Lane I must admit, for the size we are I haven't taken a cab into account yet and probably won't be purchasing one for the near future. My actual budget for the head is max £600, but ideally looking at £500-£550
Well you do know you cannot use a head without a speaker cabinet (or a speaker load direct to PA)?
^ yeah.

he's in the UK (I assume) since he's using £. So that means Mesa is expensive, Carvin is hard to come by and expensive, etc. etc.

Laney GH50 or 100L for the hot-rod marshall thing without spending too much? Maybe even the new version might be worth a look but i haven't tried it.

the jet city heads wouldn't be too far away either in terms of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?