I decided the title would be too long if I put it there so here is the title. How can I get a metal sound with a bass amp and an effect board. My guitar is a fender strat and I am trying to get a metal sound with what I had. My dad was a bass player so that explains the bass guitar gear.
assuming you are using a multiFX unit, dial up a high gain tone, or use a preset that you like, plug your guitar into the pedal plug the pedal into the amp, turn the amp on and play with the EQ to find what sounds best.
Actually the Fender Bassman is a bass amp, Bassists hated it, Guitarists loved it, So its still in production today, I use a bass amp I line out from to a guitar amp for that added low end, Love that rig, In any case bass amps are neutral voiced meaning they take very well to effects by way of peddles or other processors, So in this case you may want to start out with a decent multi effects peddle and experiment with different settings till you find out what appeals to you then upgrade from there,
hot rail in the bridge.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Your bass amp isn't going to be imparting much gain to the signal most likely. If you have a multi effects pedal all your gain will be coming from that. It should be fairly straightforward once you find a distorted preset.
wrong tools for the job. you'll need a distortion pedal of some sort (your mfx unit) for starters) if your strat has an SSS pickup configuration then that is making it harder (not impossible but an uphill battle).

what type of metal tone are you shooting for?
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by jonah.tangreen
monwobobbo Master of puppets/ older Metallica style is what I am trying to get. Thank you for the reply.

good luck. bass amp tend to be designed to stay clean with really high headroom. a distortion pedal will get you closer but won't likely really nail that tone (unless you spend big money.

what fx are you using? honestly getting a guitar amp that has a decent high gain sound would be the better route to go.
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, plug the output of the MultiFX into the loop return on the amp. What MultiFX do you have? I'd dial up a high gain tone on that and turn off cabinet simulations if that's an option since you will run out of the bass amp.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .