Hi,

I have been helping my friends band out as a stage hand/ guitar tech / driver / merch guy for the last year. We did our first UK tour back in September. The tour went well but I feel I could have offered more or it could have gone better. Things like awkwardly moving gear on small stages, or the worst incident of dropping my guitar off a stage

but I learnt a lot from my first experience, and feel this is something I really want to do. I have a lot of gigs with this band ahead of me next year

My questions are to anyone who has ever worked as a tech:
1. Have you any tips or tricks to make a show run smoother?
2. How would the general layout of your day go? From load in to packing up at the end of the day, what activities would you be doing throughout?

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd use a computer. Its wonderful, you can program patch changes for modeling amps throughout a show or just run the signal from the computer (use reaper or cubase or something) and use amp sims, just pull the signal to front of house
Youtube: Musishoon
What sort of band? How many players? Do they have a back line? Do they have their own PA? or do they rely on House PA? Do they do support?
- all this could be relevent to answering the questions.

But, in the meantime, one or two tips: 1. Organise the cables so that you don't have to individually lay them out and pack them away - i.e. tape together multicores including signal, speaker and mains cables. 2. Get wheels fitted to anything heavy, like bass bins, amp racks. 3. Get a mains testing plug and test the mains sockets before you use them.

In terms of activities in the day, we decided eventually that the driver was NOT to help pull down the set and load - ensure the driver has enough rest - falling asleep at the wheel is not a good idea.