Museums are cool. What are some cool museums you've been to? What kind of cool things did you see in museums? Which museums do you recommend visiting?

As discussed in the Chat thread, el Reina Sofía in Madrid is very nice. Picasso, Dalí, (Spanish) civil war stuff etc.
I like the National Gallery in London a lot too.
tate modern if you want to piss around for a few hours, rofl

National gallery is pretty good too, Science museum (sometimes), Natural History Museum.. House of Lords (full of old fossils, huehuehuehueheu).
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
The carnegie museum of natural history is pretty cool. I went for a huge dinosaurs exhibit, then a few years later I went back for an Egyptian exhibit, and a few other times for smaller less exciting exhibits but its always cool and aways got new stuff.

The rock and roll hall of fame was pretty cool as well.

The air and space museum in Washington DC was fun all kinds of old air craft and space ship parts was pretty neat. That one was also free.

The Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh is cool if you like Andy Warhol.

The Carnegie science center has all kinds of interactive exhibits though it's kinda geared for kids.

Fort Pitt Museum in Pittsburgh is a museum of a British fort built back in 1764 was really awesome place.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Idk, we got the Witte Museum. Which kind of sounds like witty museum. Which is kind of my whole thing.

It's got some cool ancient stuff and a lot of events but I've only ever been there 3 or 4 times.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I forgot ToonSeum it's a cartoon museum. It's always changing so you get to seen cool new stuff every time you go.
the Mutter in Philly.

gross medical stuff.

body parts in jars, preserved corpses and shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
the Mutter in Philly.

gross medical stuff.

body parts in jars, preserved corpses and shit.

I've been wanting to go there for over a year now.
I live in Oxford, went to the Pitt Rivers museum just this Sunday gone actually. It's amazing, definitely worth going to if you get a chance.

Real shrunken heads, a humongous like 50ft totem pole, all kinds of ancient weaponry and armour. Really cool stuff.
The Museum of Jurassic Technology

The Getty & Getty Villa

NHM: LA

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Jan 11, 2017,
Went to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science last year for the first time in many years. They had a really cool exhibit on chocolate where you followed it through the timeline of history from ancient central America to modern day.
Check out my band Disturbed
there are a lot of good museums here in manchester. i forget their names. there's a couple and they're all cool
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
MFAH

HMNS

HMNS butterfly exhibit, they're just flying all over the place, you're not supposed to touch them, but once one of them landed my shoulder, pretty cool.

HMNS IMAX 3D

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

What museums would folks who have been to Berlin recommend? I'll be visiting for a few days in February
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
The last museum I went to was Gold Hill museum in Shaftesbury and it had stuff about Shaftesbury and it was more interesting than I thought it would be because they had some weird ass traditions back in the day
I have nothing important to say
Quote by k.lainad
MFAH

You used to call me on my cell phoooone
Quote by laid-to-waste
there are a lot of good museums here in manchester. i forget their names. there's a couple and they're all cool
Any in particular that you reckon would be worth checking out first?

My girlfriend lives in Manchester and we've been saying for a while we want to do some of the museums there.
The Louvre was neat. There's another one a bit out of the way that I can't remember the name of but it was probably closer to the edge of the city and bigger than the Louvre, with a huuuge courtyard.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I can second Reina Sofia. The natural history museum in Venice is really cool too and pretty hidden away. Along with the glass museum on Murano.

Nothing will top the museum in Hiroshima's Peace Park though. The entire place is truly humbling.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by matt bickerton

My girlfriend lives in Manchester and we've been saying for a while we want to do some of the museums there.

the one owned by the university of manchester called Manchester Museum is the one i've been to the most and it's good there, they got plenty to check out. nothing incredibly special though, i heard The Museum of Science and Industry is better (especially cos manchester is the first ever industrial city or something) so maybe check that out, but Manchester Museum has a lot of really cool models of fossils of ancient animals such as dinosaurs so it's worth checking out. the whole of manchester in the city is awesome tbh, the real museum is just going around St Peter's square or the northern quarter and going out to bars and pubs. manchester has so much to offer it's madness.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
POLIN, a Jewish history museum in Warsaw is pretty cool if you like Jews. Not sarcastic, an interesting place.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by k.lainad
HMNS

Came in here specifically to talk about the Houston museum of natural science's butterfly exhibit. The best date I've ever had was largely because of that. There's something about seeing the person you love surrounded by butterflies that just seems otherworldly. Like something right out of a cheesy romance movie. Can't recommend it enough.

Though I suppose it has little to do with the actual museum part of the museum...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I went to the British museum a couple of weeks ago with my friend, was really cool. Also went to the museum in Manchester and saw the frogs

I love the natural history museum too, spent a lot of time there as a kid (when we still lived in London). Same with the science museum
friends
I've been to lots of museums. Probably the best were the Getty and Golden Gate Park.

The coolest thing I saw at the Getty was ancient Greek road signs with Priapus. His enormous dick pointing the way to the next town, lol. We've regressed in many ways since then.
We used to have a small museum in the nearest city to me but that closed a long time ago. In my actual hometown there is a tiny doll museum.
However despite not having been in years, the museums of Canberra were rather impressive.
If we count very specific museums then The Temora Aviation Museum is heralded as one of the best in the world for seeing certain historical aircraft, especially in flight. Seeing one of the only six Lockheed Hudsons and the only airworthy one in the world swoop low over the crowd was fantastic.
US space and rocket center in alabama
Last edited by geo-rage at Jan 11, 2017,
California science museum, next to the one with the dinos up there. They have the space shuttle endeavour. Its such a cool museum.
Oh no! Am i double posting?
Last edited by geo-rage at Jan 11, 2017,
Quote by Banjocal
What museums would folks who have been to Berlin recommend? I'll be visiting for a few days in February

Topography of Terror is basically a must see I think, go inside first, and the Bauhaus Archive was pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing. The Soviet War Memorial is also pretty cool but a bit out of the way. C/O Berlin and the Museum für Fotografie/Helmut Newton Foundation were both very good too if that's what you're into.
Quote by matt bickerton

British museums in general were so full of hands on kid exhibits it wasn't funny, the Museum of Science and Industry is one of them but they've got several massive working steam engines which made it worth a visit. The John Rylands Library is not really much of a museum but is pretty awesome to see, and the Manchester Art Gallery had some good exhibitions on when we were there. Didn't bother with any others.

as for my personal favourite, the MMK Frankfurt is amazing, best art gallery I've ever been to by a mile, a genuine experience walking through there. Second probably goes to the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich, which wasn't nearly as good on the art side but has a massive industrial design section to go with it so overall had a lot to offer. Both amazing buildings too. Finally I have to mention Arles, their small Van Gogh museum is great, there's a very good museum about the Romans there too, and you're within striking distance of visiting Pont du Gard which is second only to the Colosseum really IMO if you're interested in Roman shit that's coming up on 2000 years old. Plus while we were there there were probably dozens of small exhibitions being held with local artwork, most of which were very good. Same applies to Avignon for that matter, two great little French towns.
Quote by geo-rage
California science museum, next to the one with the dinos up there. They have the space shuttle endeavour. Its such a cool museum.

The Endeavor flew over my backyard

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I went to this immigration museum in Dublin that was pretty cool, and there's a small museum in Berlin about life during the Cold War in East and West Germany that had heaps of interactive stuff, it was really cool.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by ultimate-slash
Museums are cool. What are some cool museums you've been to? What kind of cool things did you see in museums? Which museums do you recommend visiting?

As discussed in the Chat thread, el Reina Sofía in Madrid is very nice. Picasso, Dalí, (Spanish) civil war stuff etc.
I like the National Gallery in London a lot too.

I've been to a warplane museum that is just a few miles down the road from here. I want to take my nephew. I was going to join the Air Force as an apache gunner, but I turned it down because I found a job in the private sector making more money. Wish I could go back and do that over again, that is one of my biggest regrets in life. I always wanted to serve my country.
i can't remember the names of the ships, but i did overnight stays at the USS something in Baltimore and a submarine.

i do not recommend the sub if you're claustrophobic.

interesting WWII stuff tho.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i can't remember the names of the ships, but i did overnight stays at the USS something in Baltimore and a submarine.

i do not recommend the sub if you're claustrophobic.

interesting WWII stuff tho.

That stuff always interested me, really cool.
I've been to a lot of museums, but the Dresden Zwinger was probably the best, as it had a great display of medieval armaments.

^ Someone posted the Houston Fine Art Museum - it's OK but it won't me on my top 20 list.
Quote by diabolical
I've been to a lot of museums, but the Dresden Zwinger was probably the best, as it had a great display of medieval armaments.

^ Someone posted the Houston Fine Art Museum - it's OK but it won't me on my top 20 list.

the Royal Armouries in Leeds is awesome if you like that sort of thing.
My favorites have been the National History Museum and Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C, the Art Institute of Chicago and Art Institute of San Francisco
I love museums. My most recent fave is the National Museum of the American Indian. In addition to the excellent exhibits, they have the best museum food I've ever tried. (so good that I bought their cookbook)

Next up: National Museum of African American History and Culture. I hear their food is even better. I probably won't go until next year though, or when they stop giving out timed passes.

The Rijksmuseum is one of the first non-local museums I remember experiencing. I would like to go back someday.
cat