Hey guys, I have a pretty decent home recording setup, the only thing I feel like I'm missing is a nice comfy pair of mixing cans. I have a pair of ATH M50Xs that I use for tracking, but they just don't feel right to me. They aren't comfortable enough for me to wear for hours on end working on mixes. Since I have those, as well as a pretty good monitor setup (a pair of KRK VXT6s as well as a subwoofer), I feel like I don't need to overspend on mixing headphones, as I can always check it through the monitors or M50s (or borrow a pair from my dad, my favorite of his being the Sennheiser HD 598s). All I really want from this new pair is that it creates a good soundscape (For example, with the HD598s it sounds more like I'm sitting in a room with the music, the M50xs don't do that for me), and of course that they're comfortable enough to wear for long durations.
Originally I was going to get AKG K240s, but I did some looking around and saw a lot of praise for the Superlux brand, specifically the HD668Bs, or HD681 (both under 40$). Regardless of the pair I settle on I'm gonna get velvet pad replacements, as well.
Does anyone here have experience with the Superlux HD668Bs, or how they compare to the AKG 240s? And do you guys think the extra ~25$ is worth it for the AKGs if I already have a good monitor setup?
I have a pair of the AKG K240's. They're very accurate. They're comfortable and lightweight. They're good for critical listening of edits and that kind of thing. The downside on them is that they are not very loud. Loud enough... for most things most of the time.... but not for all things all of the time.

I also have a new favourite, the Sennheiser HD280 pro. Highly recommended for a great pair of phones.

That all said... if you can't get there with your current monitoring setup, a good pair of headphones won't really help you that much in getting that much closer. You'll probably find that,mixing with phones and then listening on proper monitors, that you'll need to make some corrections. Not huge ones, probably, but corrections nonetheless.

If you're not getting your mixes "there" with the monitors alone, you probably need to take a look at what kind of treatment you have in your room and improving your room. $150 on DIY room treatment will be money better spent than on a new pair of phones.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I have a pair of the AKG K240's. They're very accurate. They're comfortable and lightweight. They're good for critical listening of edits and that kind of thing. The downside on them is that they are not very loud. Loud enough... for most things most of the time.... but not for all things all of the time.

I also have a new favourite, the Sennheiser HD280 pro. Highly recommended for a great pair of phones.

That all said... if you can't get there with your current monitoring setup, a good pair of headphones won't really help you that much in getting that much closer. You'll probably find that,mixing with phones and then listening on proper monitors, that you'll need to make some corrections. Not huge ones, probably, but corrections nonetheless.

If you're not getting your mixes "there" with the monitors alone, you probably need to take a look at what kind of treatment you have in your room and improving your room. $150 on DIY room treatment will be money better spent than on a new pair of phones.

CT

It's not so much that I "can't get there" with my mixes, its just that I like mixing with headphones on, and my current ones are uncomfortable. I don't feel like I need a new pair of 150$ headphones, but I don't wanna buy crap, yno? I actually really like my monitoring setup, the way the room is set up everything sounds pretty good. I just tend to be nocturnal and with 4 other people in the house I can't blast my speakers whenever I want to, so a decent set of mixing cans would be a great tool, but since I have a decent monitoring setup I don't need perfectly neutral, perfectly precise phones, just something decent I can work with and then check the final mix on the monitors or a different pair of headphones