Some people just don't seem to see the "last post" thing at the bottom. It gets annoying seeing old threads being bumped up on a daily basis (not that I really care mind you, just putting in some filler words.) Solution? Place the original date posted next to the question or whatever and highlight the shit out of so every boy and girl can see it without even trying.
Quote by TROUnation
so every boy and girl can see it

Are you assuming my gender?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

solution: close the forum

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
The problem isn't always that newbs don't see the upload date. Some 16'ers still believe its helpful to tell the OP to buy a Marshall MG for its crushing overdrive after OP quit playing guitar 7 years ago.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The problem isn't always that newbs don't see the upload date. Some 16'ers still believe its helpful to tell the OP to buy a Marshall MG for its crushing overdrive after OP quit playing guitar 7 years ago.

What if it's to be used as a side table?
Quote by sam b
What if it's to be used as a side table?

Why would I want a waste receptacle in my living room?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why would I want a waste receptacle in my living room?

Just fill it up with sand.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
better idea: all threads should "expire" & be automatically deleted after 90 days of inactivity
^ You can prune old threads but it's a manual process
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by neidnarb11890
better idea: all threads should "expire" & be automatically deleted after 90 days of inactivity

I don't think the deletion part is a good idea. Old threads are useful for archive purposes. I have old stickied threads from years ago that I refer people to when that information is relevant rather than redoing it.

Also some of the big "only" threads go down after a while. The same is true of many band threads over in B&A that will be inactive for a long period and then will get bumped if there is news with the band such as a new release, breakup, reunion, death of a member, etc.

There are also old shoop threads that are worth bumping and reliving when there is a new idea for content.

There are also times when it makes sense to bump old threads such as when somebody makes a thread about something and then provides an update several months later whether it is a particular situation in life or an update on a piece of gear after they have had more time to put it through its paces in real world situations.

I'm sure some old threads are not needed but there is not some AI process that can determine accurately what should stay and what should go.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
iirc the problem with doing much of anything to old threads requires a lot of manual human work. like they can't just apply a filter or click one button to have something happen that solves the old thread bumping issue. or maybe it is just one button click but they get their kicks from telling n00bs not to bump old threads.

my solution would be to create a better "read the rules you n00b" culture. like for instance the new member's sandbox specifically says "no guitar-related posts allowed!" yet 80% of the posts are new users asking guitar related questions. obviously the desire to have new members read the forum rules (and refer to the faq) is not obvious enough to the new members.

edit: also on the master forum page the hotlink for the faq leads to the rules and the rules hotlink leads to the faq

edit 2: also also i just re-checked the rules and faq and there is nothing saying "don't necrobump". it says no pointless bumping but if i was
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
believ(ing) its helpful to tell the OP to buy a Marshall MG for its crushing overdrive after OP quit playing guitar 7 years ago
i wouldn't think it was pointless, especially if i didn't see the date. sometimes i will accidentally reply to a necrobump (and you probably have to) because the dates are not in your face.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 12, 2017,
Quote by Will Lane
iirc the problem with doing much of anything to old threads requires a lot of manual human work. like they can't just apply a filter or click one button to have something happen that solves the old thread bumping issue. or maybe it is just one button click but they get their kicks from telling n00bs not to bump old threads.

my solution would be to create a better "read the rules you n00b" culture. like for instance the new member's sandbox specifically says "no guitar-related posts allowed!" yet 80% of the posts are new users asking guitar related questions. obviously the desire to have new members read the forum rules (and refer to the faq) is not obvious enough to the new members.

edit: also on the master forum page the hotlink for the faq leads to the rules and the rules hotlink leads to the faq

edit 2: also also i just re-checked the rules and faq and there is nothing saying "don't necrobump". it says no pointless bumping but if i was i wouldn't think it was pointless, especially if i didn't see the date. sometimes i will accidentally reply to a necrobump (and you probably have to) because the dates are not in your face.

site folks along with mods are working on some of these issues right now. necro bumping is a tough one. on one had we want people to use the search function to cut down on the same threads getting posted weekly (or daily for some things). on the other probably 90% of the time we don't want the thread resurrected. there are times when resurrection is helpful but these tend to apply to informative threads. obviously a guy wanting to know if he should buy a certain amp or guitar from 5 years ago shouldn't be brought back (ok should be obvious but sometimes not so much)
If you don't check for thread dates you're probably a low key terrorist.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.