Page 1 of 4
So first here is an anecdote from two nights ago. My mom was running late at work so she asks my dad to make pasta. I don't mean sauce or anything but just cook the pasta in boiling water on the stove. You'd have to be pretth incompetent as a human being to nit be able to do that, right? Well...

So first he asks my sister what pot to use. She tells him but he can't figure it out so I have to go upstairs and show him. So then he asks me how much water to put in the pot. I tell him that it says it on the box. He asks where the box is. We have like 5 cabinets in the kitchen where we put food so it shouldn't be too hard to find, especially since it is pretty well organized so it's obviously in the pasta/rice/breading/oil/tortilla cabinet. So then he asks me sister what stove to go on to boil water. Then he asks if he should wait for it to boil before putting it in.* Then he asks after a while how he is supposed to know if the pasta is done. I told him that he it says how long it takes on the package. He says he can't find it on the package. I look and it is like the biggest thing on the package. So I tell him and he says that he wasn't keeping track.

It just amazes me that someone could be unable to do something so simple. He also can barely tune his guitars or change strings by himself despite that fact that he has been playing for 40 years.

It's all kind of ridiculous that some people can't do simple things. Like when you meet college kids that can't boil rice, use an oven, or do laundry (in case you're wondering my dad can use the oven and do laundry but I don't think he can boil rice). Reading time from an analog clock and guys not knowing how to tie a tie are two more. Also washing dishes, either in the sink or the dishwater. It's amazing how many can't.

What are other basic skills like that that some people apparently can't do? There are certain skills like soldering, knot tying, knife sharpening, and writing cursive skills that everyone should know but these days are maybe not as essential. It is surprising how many people no longer carry around a pocket knife.

It's pretty amazing that some people can't do such basic things.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Is your dad the Blode?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

my father has always done all the grocery shopping and would alternate cooking with my mother.

we learned how to cook, clean, diy, sew, garden etc early in our house and as a result I kinda have a hard time respecting people if they aren't also reasonably self-sufficient. It's something I know I shouldn't judge people for because it's often the result of just being coddled by their parents/spouses and they can't really help being ignorant of those things. Although, there is a big a difference between never having the opportunity/never being allowed to learn (eg parents would do everything no question) but eager to learn once they realise the need to know and being legit lazy and crutching on others all the time.

I've always disliked having to rely on people to do things for me though, so I will often try and learn how to do it myself if it's something that's probably won't be a one-off.

Quote by theogonia777
Also washing dishes, either in the sink or the dishwater. It's amazing how many can't.

actually that is one thing I cannot believe there is someone who can't do that. unless they are some spoilt rich kid with maids around their whole life.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I'm one of those people and it is a top five reason for low self esteem lol.

I live on my own and "do things for myself" so i might be considered 'self sufficient'. for example i cook for myself but i never feel enough pride in the results that i would make it for someone else. but i also have no talent, am naturally stupid, and just generally worthless. at my (very easy) job i have to ask a lot of stupid questions and i still struggle with a few very basic tasks. as a result i am not respected or taken seriously by anyone i know
Quote by slipknot5678

I live on my own and "do things for myself" so i might be considered 'self sufficient'. for example i cook for myself but i never feel enough pride in the results that i would make it for someone else. but i also have no talent, am naturally stupid, and just generally worthless. at my (very easy) job i have to ask a lot of stupid questions and i still struggle with a few very basic tasks. as a result i am not respected or taken seriously by anyone i know

you're probably just fine and it's the low self esteem talking

vicious cycle i guess
My mom made me learn how to do the laundry and dishes when I was but a lad, and my school system made me take sewing and cooking lessons in home economics. There is zero (0) excuse for people I went to school with to not know how to do these things.

What really annoys me is when I see people post things on Facebook saying something along the lines of, "School never taught me how to do taxes or apply for a job... BUT THEY MADE DAMN SURE I COULD SOLVE X!!!!"

Bitch, if you paid attention in personal finance class (which was required when I went to school), you'd fucking know how to do both of those things. I mean, shit, we learned how to fucking budget a realistic household income. Stop making excuses for your apathy and laziness.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by slipknot5678

These days it's a lot easier to learn how to do basic stuff with youtube vids and other guides online. In the past, you would have to go get a book from the library, which was hit and miss in quality.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by RAB11
Is your dad the Blode?

I would say that my dad is more like Cray Cray Funeral Sammy B.

Quote by Random3
Why is your kitchen upstairs?

In the western US, there is a very common one floor setup for a house called a ranch house. The door is in the middle ish of the house. On one side you have the living room in the front and the kitchen and dining room in the back with is the dining room usually being in the back corner. On the other side you have a hallway with a bathroom next to the kitchen and then three bedrooms that wrap around the end of the hallway. A laundry room is squeezed in somewhere. Sometimes there is a garage thrown on somehwere. If you have ever seen King of the Hill, that's their house. Occasionally there might be a basement underground and that serves as storage, a den, and possibly the laundry room.

In suburbia, there is a common variation called a raised ranch. It is very similar to the ranch house with a basement except the whole house is above ground so it is visibly a two level house. The front door usually comes to a landing with stairs leading up and down. The downstairs has a den, bathroom, and laundry room on one side (the side under the kitchen and living room) and a garage under the bedrooms but occasionally there is a basement or other finished rooms under the bedrooms and the garage is an extension. That's what my house is like.

There are other vaguely similar styles in two or three level varieties but many have the upstairs as the main floor and the bottom floor as a den/laundry/tv/office/whatever room. It's very common in the US.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
theogonia777 is ur dad okay

he sounds like he needs a hug if he's been that bad off his whole life

he needs jesus christ to guide him
Quote by zgr0826
Bitch, if you paid attention in personal finance class (which was required when I went to school), you'd fucking know how to do both of those things. I mean, shit, we learned how to fucking budget a realistic household income. Stop making excuses for your apathy and laziness.

I agree that these are essential skills but my school did not have personal finance or home economics class. I learned some "life skills" from my parents but most of it from the internet.
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I'll do it tomorrow.

That's just regular lazy!
As someone who often judges people by their work ethic, you wont believe how incompotent people can be.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I'm also one of these people, dont know how to cook much really, and its definitely because my parents would do all the household chores. Ive seen plenty of people do it but never done much myself. I figure im intelligent enough to figure it out after a couple of goes or google it if i need to.

I also dont consider soldering, knot tying, or any of that stuff you listed important or expected. Interestingly, the ability to use/troubleshoot a computer is something that most people should know but some people just dont for a lot of similar reasons (never had to do it b4/always got someone else to do it for me) and i feel they get a pass when really these days its pretty necessary to know.

Anyway rambling.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by sashki
I agree that these are essential skills but my school did not have personal finance or home economics class. I learned some "life skills" from my parents but most of it from the internet.

Damn. We need better schools people.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
my mom is pretty bad with some things.

NJ is one of, i think, two states where you can't pump your own gas.

when i was about 12 we were in PA for a family reunion and she tried to do it and somehow managed to spray gas all over her shoes.

i got out of the car and handled it no problem.

all other household related things i learned out of necessity.

started washing my own clothes because my mom somehow consistently lost some of my stuff.

started cooking and cleaning because my dad "went on strike" as he put it for a while and refused to do anything before eventually moving out.

my brother is more lazy than incompetent in regard to this kind of thing.

also i've met rich bitch people who have never lifted a finger for themselves and don't understand basic things like milk and eggs needing to be refrigerated.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I've been cooking daily since i was like 13 lol
like restaurant tier Italian pastas, stir-fry Mongolian beef rice, healthy oven bake casseroles, medium rare steaks, chicken breast paninni sandwiches, etc, etc
I'm at the point where I can just gather a bunch of ingredients and cook up something delicious and make it up on the spot.

Cooking is so damn easy, just gotta look up a recipe and follow it exactly. I really don't understand guys and gals my age who can't cook, they're just dumb and lazy I guess. Same can be said about basic life skills like changing a car tire or even doing laundry properly, i'm amazed at how clueless some millennials are, they're so sheltered and spoiled.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Here in Atlanta it's driving that people can't seem to grasp.
And I'm a great cook. My gut is proof.
Quote by zgr0826
My mom made me learn how to do the laundry and dishes when I was but a lad, and my school system made me take sewing and cooking lessons in home economics. There is zero (0) excuse for people I went to school with to not know how to do these things.

What really annoys me is when I see people post things on Facebook saying something along the lines of, "School never taught me how to do taxes or apply for a job... BUT THEY MADE DAMN SURE I COULD SOLVE X!!!!"

although personal finance was never part of my curriculum at school, if you can understand percentages and basic algebra that's all you really need for taxes.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
NJ is one of, i think, two states where you can't pump your own gas.

What does this mean?
Every gas station I've ever been to, you put the hose in and hold the lever. It switches off automatically when the tank is full. There's no manual pumping involved and the only employee is at the cash register.
Is this an American thing or am I stupid*?

*not mutually exclusive
Quote by sashki
What does this mean?
Every gas station I've ever been to, you put the hose in and hold the lever. It switches off automatically when the tank is full. There's no manual pumping involved and the only employee is at the cash register.
Is this an American thing or am I stupid*?

*not mutually exclusive
you're not allowed to actually put the hose in. they hire attendants to do it.

it's just New Jersey and maybe one other state.

don't ask why I don't get it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Social skills and how to form relationships is something I consider basic skills, but something I seriously lack.
Just cooking in general. Anyone who says they "can't cook".

Well, can you read? Then you can cook. fucks sake
Quote by jakesmellspoo
you're not allowed to actually put the hose in. they hire attendants to do it.

it's just New Jersey and maybe one other state.

don't ask why I don't get it.

Regulations to artificially boost employment and protect a obsolete "profession" I'd guess. Are the pump workers unionized?
Quote by TheChaz
Regulations to artificially boost employment and protect a obsolete "profession" I'd guess. Are the pump workers unionized?
I don't know but i doubt it.

i've never bothered even looking into a job pumping gas because i'm sure i'd end up getting sick from all the fumes.

or hit by a car the way i see people fly through gas stations.
Only thing I can't do in general is be bothered to do exist tbh
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by sam b

Difference between following a recipe and taking whatevers in the fridge and making something on the spot. If you got step by step instructions then you can do pretty much anything. Fucks sake
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Difference between following a recipe and taking whatevers in the fridge and making something on the spot. If you got step by step instructions then you can do pretty much anything. Fucks sake

Good point m8. I forgot following a recipe isnt cooking after all

oh wait
Quote by Gatecrasher53

Even great chefs write down things so they can remember them later.
Quote by sam b

my mom is completely illiterate but damn can that woman cook

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by sam b

not necessarily -- you can read the words but not really comprehend what it means in practical terms, or be able to execute it. everyone should be able to boil rice & pasta, because it is very simple, but recipes can be more or less complex & require varying degrees of specialized knowledge & prior experience.

for example my mom keeps trying to bake an apple pie but she cannot quite get the crust to come out very well. it's edible & taste like an apple pie, but it is crumbling in on itself & sticking to the pie dish.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jan 11, 2017,
Quote by theguitarist
These days it's a lot easier to learn how to do basic stuff with youtube vids and other guides online. In the past, you would have to go get a book from the library, which was hit and miss in quality.

Yeah. Like I learnt cooking recipes, how to tie ties, how to iron and more with youtube videos and the like. You have to learn to recognize when you are facing a new situation that necessitates a skill that can come in handy later on, and afterwards have the drive to go out and learn how to do that (which is easy with vids and stuff like you said).
Quote by sam b
Good point m8. I forgot following a recipe isnt cooking after all

oh wait

All you've really said is "if you're told how to do it, you can do it" which is pretty much the process of learning.

If I said my car wont start, fix it, and left you'd be fked. If i said my car wont start heres how you fix it, then youd be able to do it. And if i said my car wont start heres a sheet of paper telling you step by step how to do it, well that's a recipe. You're learning how to do it but you didnt know beforehand.

Quote by theogonia777
Even great chefs write down things so they can remember them later.

True. To be clear though im not saying using a recipe isnt cooking, it is; but if its your first time then you're learning as well.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Jan 11, 2017,
Ok, your dad just wanted you to do the pasta for him, isn't it that clear?
Page 1 of 4