I haven't changed the gauge of strings but I've changed strings and now the low E string is very loose i.e. low tension. I've tried messing around with the bridge (tune-o-matic) height but it hasn't changed anything.

I'm using standard E tuning. Basically if I pick too hard only the low e string will go out of tune, it has tension like it is tuned to drop A or something. The other strings are fine.

Any help?
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
dspellman

it's the same as i've always done. i really have no idea what is wrong with it
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Did you fully stretch the string in? If you haven't, the strings will obviously have tuning stability problems but more to the point, the strings will feel a lot more elastic as the strings take up the slack from not fully conforming to the tuning peg post.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Did you fully stretch the string in? If you haven't, the strings will obviously have tuning stability problems but more to the point, the strings will feel a lot more elastic as the strings take up the slack from not fully conforming to the tuning peg post.

yes I did that

I've also tried changing the bridge height from very low to very high and it makes minimal difference. it's slightly better when the bridge height is higher but there isn't that much difference
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Jan 13, 2017,
Can someone dig up the old thread where a guy complained that his strings were too loose, and then came back and said the band had discovered that they accidentaly detuned more and more at each practise until they were at low G or something?
Quote by copperwreck
Can someone dig up the old thread where a guy complained that his strings were too loose, and then came back and said the band had discovered that they accidentaly detuned more and more at each practise until they were at low G or something?

I am not tuning my guitar wrong
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I am not tuning my guitar wrong
I know, I just wanted to spread som lulz. That thread was hilarious.

edit: come to think of it, that might have been over att talkbass.net
bump
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I know it might sound stupid but have you double checked your high E isn't an octave low?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Maybe the string manufacturer messed up and put a lighter gauge E-string in with your normal gauge set? In-tune tension goes down when the string diameter is reduced.
I would just get a new string on there. Every once in awhile there's just a bad string. It's only happened to me a couple of times but it has happened.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/