I'm looking for a new guitar in the $500 price range which is suitable for the majority of playing styles. I want it mostly to play classic rock and blues but also metal from time to time. I'm looking for something with either a HSS configuration (not fender squier) or a HH configuration with coil split (preferably not epiphone). Right now I'm thinking about the prs se standard 24 since it fits most of my requirements (24 medium frets, fixed neck, tremolo, coil split). Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would recommend taking a look at some Ibanez guitars because I know they have some affordable guitars that look fantastic for your price range and come in the HSS configuration (Specifically the GIO series).
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
I picked up an S520 this week for $475 - YMMV -admittedly a bolt on neck and a FR if that is your thing. I must admit I do miss my PRS still though, and when it gets shipped to me I will certainly make a new home for it!
Avoid the Ibanez GIO guitars. The pickups they come with are trash, as are the bridges. You can get far better for $500.

All the guitars you're considering are doublecuts. Is that coincidental or are you looking for a doublecut guitar specifically?

It must be said that PRS SE's are a solid choice. I'm not too sure how well made the Indo-made Standards are compared to the Korean-made SE Customs. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be bad though.

You need to decide if an HSS or a HH configuration is going to align to your preferences better if you want to narrow down your choices to guitars you might actually want.

You've mentioned that you want a vibrato. What style of vibrato do you want? That'll help narrow down your search a great deal too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Variax hands down. You'll have to go used, but not only will it do what your looking for, you'll have 12 string options plus acoustic. Not to mention alternate tunings at the turn of a dial. I have the older 700, but thinking about the newer 89f. May not be for everyone, but multi purpose not to much else comes close.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
T00DEEPBLUE the vibrato isn't really that important so it wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar if it didn't have one. As far as for the model it can be anything from single cut to double cut or stratocaster. I just want something that plays well, sounds acceptable with the stock pickups and has a comfortable neck with medium or medium jumbo frets
Quote by scott58
Variax hands down. You'll have to go used, but not only will it do what your looking for, you'll have 12 string options plus acoustic. Not to mention alternate tunings at the turn of a dial. I have the older 700, but thinking about the newer 89f. May not be for everyone, but multi purpose not to much else comes close.

If you're really looking for versatile or "multi-purpose," it would probably have to be the Variax. Most new Variax are over your budget, but you should be able to find a good used Variax that will fit. I have two new 89F Variaxes, an older 500 series and a 700 Acoustic.
Quote by zoltan_halasz
T00DEEPBLUE the vibrato isn't really that important so it wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar if it didn't have one. As far as for the model it can be anything from single cut to double cut or stratocaster. I just want something that plays well, sounds acceptable with the stock pickups and has a comfortable neck with medium or medium jumbo frets

You're being far too vague about what you want for us to help you.

You want a guitar that plays well and sounds acceptable. Who doesn't? You want a guitar with a comfortable neck. Who doesn't? You've said you're not against getting a guitar with a vibrato but you haven't stated that you actually want one or not. Saying you're not against the idea is not good enough. We need a yes or no answer.

The only things you've said of value is that you want a guitar with medium to medium jumbo frets, has a humbucker in the bridge and not an Epiphone. That narrows your search down to about 100,000 different guitars.

You need to be more specific.

If you don't really know what you actually want above the other possible options then I suggest going down to a guitar store and finding out by playing as many different guitars as possible. That's the only way you're going to know.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
What about the Vox range that have pickups which switch between humbucker, p90 and single coil?

Don't think they still make them, but you should be able to find one used.
http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/guitar/55_series.html
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Check out the Godin LGXT, LGX-SA, XTSA, they have pickups with coil split, acoustic transducer (like a piezo bridge pickup) for acoustic sounds and a 13 pin synth output and you can also blend the electric and acoustic sounds.

Little out of the OP's price range, although nice guitars, Carvin and Parker also offer the 13 pin MIDI option, The Fender version I believe has been discontinued , One problem though, requires guitar synth, Add $$$, Although once that hurdle is cleared then versatility becomes a moot point, Especially with something like the Roland GR-55, And although the Variax is cool it cant go where the GR goes,
Quote by guitarsngear
And although the Variax is cool it cant go where the GR goes,

The Synthesizer guitars can't go where the Variax can, either. Specifically, you can actually hook your wireless up to a Variax and go as far as the range on the wireless will take you. With any of the synth guitars, you're limited to a cable.
Quote by GaryBillington
What about the Vox range that have pickups which switch between humbucker, p90 and single coil?

Don't think they still make them, but you should be able to find one used.

You can do that with any guitar that has a humbucker. Replace the humbucker with a Seymour Duncan P-Rail. The P-Rail has a real P90 coil, a real rail coil (single coil) and, when used together, works as a humbucker. There are three different output levels of P-Rail, so you can pick your favorite.
Didn't know the P-Rails came with different outputs. Good to know.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
The Synthesizer guitars can't go where the Variax can, either. Specifically, you can actually hook your wireless up to a Variax and go as far as the range on the wireless will take you. With any of the synth guitars, you're limited to a cable.

Pesky cords. Don't know how I ever got by without a wireless system... Oh wait I don't use them today, Never mind
Yamaha makes a fine HSS Pacifica, or HH with coil tap. If you don't mind an actual Fender, they make those HSS, or you can easily put a small humbucker whichever spot you want. Cruise Ebay or reverb.com, see what's out there.
Quote by dspellman
You can do that with any guitar that has a humbucker. Replace the humbucker with a Seymour Duncan P-Rail. The P-Rail has a real P90 coil, a real rail coil (single coil) and, when used together, works as a humbucker. There are three different output levels of P-Rail, so you can pick your favorite.
But for a total budget of $500? A quick google says they cost £170 in the UK, so assuming a similar price is the US you're seriously cutting down on the choice of guitar you could get for it, to the level where you're fitting a premium pickup into a budget guitar, in my opinion that's never worth it.

Besides, not everyone wants to get into the whole replacing pickups thing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Didn't know the P-Rails came with different outputs. Good to know.

They can also be wired with the coils in parallel, in or out of phase. A lot of sounds from one pickup.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by nastytroll
Pesky cords. Don't know how I ever got by without a wireless system... Oh wait I don't use them today, Never mind

I've used them a lot (*had* to use them, in fact), but recently started using the VDI cable for the Variax as well. One of the things I wanted to try was the ability, when working with the Helix, to assign a parameter of an effect (for example) to the volume or tone control on the Variax guitar.

Last edited by dspellman at Jan 17, 2017,