Just bought it and I put new Celestian V30s in it. Can it play metal like Metallica? If it can't, what pedal should I get to run through it?
I'll admit it, I'm a newbie. 7 months experience. I've got an Ibanez GRG 170DX. My amp is kind of weird... it's a 65 Watt Kustom KMA65. Yeah. I only have a Boss DS-1 with Keeleys Ultra Mod. Just looking for tips and answers to my many stupid questions! ?
Probably not by itself, may I ask why you bought it?

It seems odd you'd get an amp before you know what it sounded like...

The VTX is a more old-school sound, I'm fairly certain that it or one of it's predecessors was one of the Skynyrd amps...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Probably not by itself, may I ask why you bought it?

It seems odd you'd get an amp before you know what it sounded like...

The VTX is a more old-school sound, I'm fairly certain that it or one of it's predecessors was one of the Skynyrd amps...

the VTX came out in the late 70s so yeah just after LS (they used the Peavey Mace). solid state preamp into tube power amp. the distortion sound on that amp isn't even remotely good for Metallica and honestly will only do low gain classic rock. an overdrive won't do it either. you'll have to get a distortion pedal and run it thru clean amp settings.
I've primarily played Peavey for the past 25 years. I just tend to like a lot of their stuff. And though I play a fairly wide array of music, one of my favorites is Thrash. I can say with confidence that I've never played a Solid State Peavey that can put out the necessary tone for it. Notice I used the word TONE. The XXL is probably the only SS, at least that comes to mind, Peavey made that has the gain for it, however even after HOURS and HOURS of messing with it, I just couldn't get a good thrash tone out of it.

I'm a huge advocate of getting your gain from your amp without pedals. I get all the gain ill ever need from my 6505+ head and more. For tone, I only run a Fat switch to give the high-mids a mild boost and tighten it up. The old SS Peaveys have a nice sounding clean channel though with a lot of headroom and are great for running a pedalboard through to get your tone. I'd try one of Kirk Hammetts line of pedals for your Metallica tone. I haven't tried them, but I figure who would make a closer sounding pedal then the man himself.
Last edited by Xander_X at Jan 12, 2017,