I got this guitar at a really cheap price due to some physical details.

But looking at it for longer I started having my doubts.

Honestly, the guitar feels pretty nice.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

http://imgur.com/a/s8Hee
http://imgur.com/a/QvnmI

Thanks!
Last edited by rosv58 at Jan 12, 2017,
Okay first thing is first. Did you buy this guitar? What did the previous owner tell you about it? How do you know its an Epiphone? It might have been an Epiphone at one point but aside from having a similar bridge, there is almost no way of telling at this point considering the work that was done to the guitar. It also could just be a Chinese fake which I would be more willing to believe.

The bigger differences are the logos and things. The guitar has a metric/import bridge but has a Gibson logo and pressed serial number. If it was a genuine Gibson, it would have a Nashville bridge. A Gibson Goth Explorer would also have a picture of Orville Gibson on the back of the headstock and the Gibson logo would've been a pearloid one and not a gold silk screen. Truss rod cover would've been a standard Gibson 2 screw as well.

If it was an Epiphone then somebody has done some work on it to make it look like a Gibson. New logo, pressed in serial number, probably a respray on the headstock after some of the work etc... I'm guessing the original serial number was either taken off or is hidden under a refin so either way it would probably be hard to say 100 percent its an Epiphone even if it has some similar features of an Epiphone Goth Explorer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 12, 2017,
H4T3BR33D3RHe told me that he sent it to USA to custom build it like it was a 'gibson' but that in reality it was an epiphone.
Quote by rosv58
H4T3BR33D3RHe told me that he sent it to USA to custom build it like it was a 'gibson' but that in reality it was an epiphone.

Sounds kind of bullshit to me. Did he show you any proof of this work done, what he payed and who has done it? Every time I have had custom work done to my guitars, I have tons of pictures and references documenting the work done and to prove that the guitar is what I say it is. Where did he send it to? He should be able to give you contact info of the person that did the work so you can at least call them and ask.

I'm more willing to bet this is probably a fake made in china guitar and he is trying to rip you off.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The irony of urning what was once a legitimate Epiphone into a fake Gibson.

Whether or not the guitar was bastardised by a 'professional' is totally irrelevant. It's still a fake Gibson

He ironically would've got more money for the guitar if he just kept it original.

Keep away from him. The guy sounds like an asshole.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The irony of turning what was once a legitimate Epiphone into a fake Gibson.

Whether or not the guitar was bastardised by a 'professional' is totally irrelevant. It's still a fake Gibson.

He ironically would've got more money for the guitar if he kept it original.

Keep away from him. The guy sounds like an asshole.

Yeah it would definitely be worth more in its original condition.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by rosv58

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

rosv58Its prolly a Epiphone Goth Explorer. I have one. The XII fret in lay and the black matte finish was its main thing. I paid 400 US new. made in korea. theres one on ebay right now. Someone put a Gibson logo on it thats all from what it looks like to me. Shit pickups stock but otherwise not a bad beater guitar.
Quote by jgebhardt
rosv58Its prolly a Epiphone Goth Explorer. I have one. The XII fret in lay and the black matte finish was its main thing. I paid 400 US new. made in korea. theres one on ebay right now. Someone put a Gibson logo on it thats all from what it looks like to me. Shit pickups stock but otherwise not a bad beater guitar.

Gibson made a goth with XII and in black matte too. Its not exclusive to the Epiphone models and there are fakes available of it on your typical Chinese fake websites. At least its obvious that it isnt a Gibson considering the bridge and logos are off but it would be enough to fool most people.

Epiphones have serials that are silkscreened in gold on the back. At minimum IF it was a real Epiphone it would have had that fake serial pressed and then a respray because you cant press a serial number into the wood like that without damaging the finish.

Either way the guitar isnt worth it unless the guy is selling it for dirt.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Gibson uses 2 screw truss rod covers so right there that tells you not a Gibson. as mentioned this guy is full of shit and if he's looking for any kind of real money for this guitar then take a pass.
Quote by jgebhardt
H4T3BR33D3Rnever seen a Gibson with the Roman numeral 12 fret inlay. Just the epi. Did Gibson use it too?

No they had a moon inlay youre right.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hopefully you got it for DIRT cheap. It looks a lot like an Epiphone Goth explorer that's been "reengineered" (to put it as nicely as possible) to look like a Gibson.

The guy sounds full of shit, with his "Sent to the USA" story and whatnot
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff