Page 1 of 2
I used to post a lot of my covers on youtube/facebook. But I soon realized nobody could care less about them. To me they sound good and reflect my hard work and talents. But nobody ever really watches them or comments on them. I am wondering what lesson in human psychology explains this. And what about all those folks who want you to "subscribe" to their channel after watching their videos. Who would bother?
Show us some examples.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
People interact with things that give them something or involve them somehow. Simple as
PM me for newts
99% of people sharing their amateur work on Facebook and the like is, at best, average and forgettable.

As such, the practice in itself gets a reputation to the point where people won't even bother clicking play on yours, they'll just keep scrolling.

It's a shame, but largely it's true. Even if it's in the upper percentile of stuff that's half decent, ultimately it's seldom going to be better than the 'professional' music the average Joe listens to from their own personal playlists, so as such it's instantly forgotten.

Well, this is just anecdotal and me speaking from experience. Unless it's a really good friend, if I see someone on my Facebook feed has shared some of their music or posted a YouTube video of them playing, more often than not I'll ignore it.

It's equally one of the biggest pros and the biggest cons of the internet age. Anyone can make music. But at the same time, anyone can make music.
Last edited by matt bickerton at Jan 12, 2017,
Share it on a dedicated website for music LIKE THIS ONE for best results.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
1) you probably suck

2) I'm guessing nobody likes you

3) You probably play shitty metal
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Because no one cares. Unless it's a vine or a joke that's under a minute no one cares. Even if someone does click on it, their attention span is will wander within the first 10 seconds.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
What kind of veggies do you love, OP?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by matt bickerton
99% of people sharing their amateur work on Facebook and the like is, at best, average and forgettable.

As such, the practice in itself gets a reputation to the point where people won't even bother clicking play on yours, they'll just keep scrolling.

It's a shame, but largely it's true. Even if it's in the upper percentile of stuff that's half decent, ultimately it's seldom going to be better than the 'professional' music the average Joe listens to from their own personal playlists, so as such it's instantly forgotten.

Well, this is just anecdotal and me speaking from experience. Unless it's a really good friend, if I see someone on my Facebook feed has shared some of their music or posted a YouTube video of them playing, more often than not I'll ignore it.

It's equally one of the biggest pros and the biggest cons of the internet age. Anyone can make music. But at the same time, anyone can make music.

You hit the nail on the head. Even though I know this, I still feel an unexplained urge to "share" each new music recording on social media. I know nobody will care, but I feel like I just have to do it.. Maybe I just like to show off. Or maybe because I want my fellow musician friends to notice and respect me more?? Or maybe I just like to listen to myself on social media rather than through some soulless mp3..
You definitely like to listen to yourself. That much isn't denied.

Too bad nobody else does.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd say your biggest problem would be sharing it on facebook. If you want people to notice your work post it in a place people will actually care about what you are making. Unless you are already popular no one is gonna give a fuck about what you post on your Facebook except maybe your mom or girlfriend. Youtube is the same way unless you have followers no one is gonna see your shit unless you post links to them videos in place where some one might give a fuck about your music.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Last edited by MurrcuryFoxx at Jan 12, 2017,
You should dress up as a girl when you play in videos, that'll get people caring.

Bonus points if you're a girl, you should be making cash in no time.
I post my music on social media as well. I think YouTube and SoundCloud are decent ways to grow an online following. I agree with the above posts, nobody cares about our underground garage rock / metal bands. Most people listen to FM radio hip hop / pop, well known festival rap artists and EDM tracks, etc and that shows on social media as well.

Another point is that sharing your music on Facebook hardly works if you don't have a fan base, because it just gets shoved under all of the other high status posts that actually get likes. Don't feel bad that nobody listens to your music on Facebook, people are busy with their own lives to care. Just keep doing what your passionate about so you at least have something to show people in person.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

When I post the odd cover on Facebook, mostly it's my musician friends that like and comment, but it's certainly not the rule.

Maybe you're posting too frequently.
It's simple. Why would someone listen to your cover when they could listen to the original? Or... something that they like? Just because you like a song enough to cover it doesn't mean that other people like that song. And especially if there is no novelty. Try playing the song in a diving suit or while riding a unicycle or on a hurdy-gurdy and then it's interesting to watch.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah really covers are just kinda boring unless theres a novelty. Its like when that video of the homeless giy singing Creep was big a while back. He did the song justice, but the interesting part was that he was fucking homeless dude.

I mean really, YouTube gives us all access to like a million boring ass renditions of practically every song. Even if you're good, what makes you special.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by veggielover
I still feel an unexplained urge to "share" each new music recording on social media.

This I don't get. Is sharing your cover song skills in real life not satisfying?
Quote by theogonia777
It's simple. Why would someone listen to your cover when they could listen to the original? Or... something that they like? Just because you like a song enough to cover it doesn't mean that other people like that song. And especially if there is no novelty. Try playing the song in a diving suit or while riding a unicycle or on a hurdy-gurdy and then it's interesting to watch.
it's not even that you're competing with the original, on facebook you're up against whatever everyone else is listening to at that moment. Like you say, there would have to be something pretty compelling to pause it and listen to you
it's even tougher to get people to listen to originals. I guess most figure that if you are just some guy on FB or a guitar board that you are a nobody so they don't bother
when I think of facebock, I think fake news. if you wanna get hits, put em on youtube and have a "how to play" snippet involved in it. then after showing people where your fingers are going on the frets and they still don't know when you hit what fret, that's your time to have them listen to how it sounds all put together.

dude not even your baby is interested

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Jan 13, 2017,
mattedbirdThis is a good idea. Teach people to play the song in the video, before giving your rendition for people to play along with it. Title the video as a guitar lesson, because there are so many other people with videos of cover songs. If you're giving a lesson for a less obvious song, then maybe nobody has done a video for that before you.

I only watch a cover version if I specifically want to learn from them for one of the instruments I play. I never go near Facecook.
Last edited by V3n0m777 at Jan 13, 2017,
As someone who makes a lot of cover videos myself, I never upload them expecting anyone to care lmao. I just do it for self-satisfaction.

But I've been fortunate enough to receive some very high praise (sometimes from the bands themselves), so I guess I can give some input.

For starters, Facebook is naturally a bad place to grow an audience. Unless you have a really successful page, you're really just sharing it within your own inner social circle. What you really want is to get it out there with an outer social circle. That really just leaves you with YouTube, though UG is a good place too. Soundcloud is good too.

You probably don't want to hear this, but it doesn't just take talent to be successful. People like creativity. Take yourself out of the equation and ask yourself why should they care? What can you provide for them? Or maybe what would they like to see? Answer for me was to provide tabs as well since that's all I ever could do. For someone who doesn't strive being successful, it works out pretty well for me, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know it's pretty easy to entertain yourself watching/making these, but you have to see past that if you want people to notice you.

Also, big tip: Try to be the first person who uploads a cover of that song. No matter what quality or accuracy it may be, I've noticed that the first person always gets on the first page results. Second person doesn't get so lucky.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 13, 2017,
also take advice from Pav's most successful video

Quote by Pastafarian96
simple: your music might be good, but it needs to be truly great and original to compel people to click on it as they are scrolling through endless shit.

however, in your defense, there are two other things at play that might not be related to the quality of your music. one is the presentation. if you are just like 'hey check out my song' it might not attract much attention. also on facebook people are automatically going to think of it as a song by you rather than their favourite bands if that makes sense. a personal facebook account just isnt an effective way to gain interest outside of your closest friends.
holy shit nevermind this is Pav's most successful video

am I seeing this right? 140K?

Quote by Pastafarian96
insanity. I realize that i never listen to anyone else's material. My ex bandmate sent me his new original material which i highly admire. I've listened to maybe half of the 4 songs he sent me that are actually recorded with real instruments and i expect people to listen to my midis. how shameful of me. I should commit suicide
My own two cents on this is that people rarely respond well to anything being shoved in their face. I pretty much scroll past every video that is shared on my FB feed unless its from someone who I know posts interesting, fun, good content. If you haven't already got a reputation for that then people probably wont look.

I find this problem with small local bands all the time. Sharing and sharing your shitty music video just degrades your product. If you want to get some recognition online share it in the right places, FB isn't usually one of them for un-established artists.

Better yet, go to open mic nights. Play there. Get feedback and engage with the scene. Then at least you know you'll probably have a captive audience.
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
There is so much bad stuff being uploaded that people just don't want to spend the time looking through 20 amateur videos to possibly find one half way decent video. As for your video, it's just you faking a track you pre recorded looking like you are you are totally bored. It's a very nice, well recorded audio track and good playing but it's boring as a video. If it was a video of you actually playing live and up close it would be interesting to many other guitar players and that could be a target audience but it's not. It's you faking like you are playing and a video cutting back and forth to a baby. There is no reason to watch this video. Nice to listen to though.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 13, 2017,
The novelty of social media is not what it used to be when people post about every meal they eat or whine about having a bad day and or post endless selfies or videos of them and their kids on Facebook it gets old pretty quick, and there are endless cover videos on youtube so you really need something to make yourself stand out like playing Metallica or Slayer on a ukelele or banjo or have a high level of production for an amateur video like picture in picture for close ups of your fretting hand and still you have to get enough clicks for it to show up on the first page of a search before it has even a chance to take off.

Also there are more young people viewing stuff on the internet than people who will actually even know or care about an instrumental cover of a song by The Who.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 13, 2017,
Don't be discouraged, you have to find your right audience and that takes a serious search
most people's facebook friends were acquired through school/work/family, and they all likely don't care about your musical style.

go get involved in local music scenes, build up new friends from there, get in good with promoters on facebook and who have loads of like-minded friends to connect to and can get you opening slots in local shows which will get people interested in your music (if you don't suck).

I'd guess that dumping videos everywhere, in the hope someone interested might randomly find it, doesn't work so well.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i uploaded some short music i recorded the other day, got a decent amount of attention. from people i knew would be somewhat interested right enough
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
The competion is stiff and numerous. You need talent, yes, but having the look and personality is also important. Even then, you're one of a million.
Unless you've developed a following you're just another guy playing guitar...it's no big deal.
Last edited by chaosinsues5 at Jan 13, 2017,
Page 1 of 2