So first off I'm using a 2007 Jackson DK2 MIJ and a Peavy Vypyr VIP 1. I keep trying to achieve Jake E Lees raw distorted sound from Badlands but I can't seem to get it. Any suggestions for amp models, stompboxes and EQ for the Vypyr. Whenever I try it just ends up sounding way to distorted to where I can hear the notes and way to bassy and when I get it to where it's not bassy and the notes ring perfectly It doesn't sound like there's enough distortion.
JCM 800 amp. overdrive in front. Jake didn't use a lot of distortion and his guitar toe is actually on the trebly side. keep in mind that the bass often doubles the guitar for a thicker sound so you aren't going to get that with just a guitar.
Well, maybe you can get closer if you "cheat" with an octave down pedal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
When I play alone I will scoop the mids a bit and add more bass to fatten up the tone in the absence of a bass, of course to cut through in a band setting you will need the add back the mid and have enough highs.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 13, 2017,
Try the Butcher and Budda SuperDrive18 amp models.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
So I'll try the butcher, I'm confused though should I add or take away bass and scoop the mids? I've been setting the gain about half way full