£411? Fuuuuuuuuuck me.

For the amp I'd have to get a TC Electronic BG250-115. It's the only amp in that price range that has the wattage, speaker area and doesn't break your back.

That leaves me £100 to spend on the bass - good thing I'm happy to gig with a tree branch, so long as it stays in tune.

I'd probably get a Thomann Precision bass for about £75 and use the remaining £25 for a set of chromes.

I do my own setups and the TC E amp has built in effects, money savings all up in this.
That TC looks pretty awesome for the price

I think I'm going to struggle to be able to include a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' flats but I can't imagine using different strihgs
Probably a used Ibanez SR305 or Yamaha TRBX-305 and a GK MB115. Used, both of that stuff should fall under $500...not that I've been researching it for my own future purchases.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Ooh Yamaha is a good shout for cheap, playable basses. Even the worst RBX feels pretty good.
I'd also go with a Yamaha or Ibanez bass. Maybe a Squier Mod PJ.. And Guitar Center has a used Ashdown Mag300 Combo Amp for $249 with a 15". Thump Thump da Dump....
A Yamaha RBX170 and a SansAmp D.I. pedal or Hartke Bass Attack D.I. pedal. I might even have a few bucks left over to grab a drink at the bar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by bloatedcorpse13
I'd also go with a Yamaha or Ibanez bass. Maybe a Squier Mod PJ.. And Guitar Center has a used Ashdown Mag300 Combo Amp for $249 with a 15". Thump Thump da Dump....

aww I miss my MAG...it sounded like a winter duvet feels
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special (234.00) and a Ashdown AAA-60-10T - 60W 1x10" Bass Combo with XLR DI Output. (249.00).
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Making this hard n myself by going strictly new. Used is cheating.

Nah. Used is the only way to go. What moron does NEW?

I actually did this when I first went looking for a bass for learning and fuckwithage. I nabbed a Fender Squier MB-4 Skull and Crossbones bass (four stringer, passives, P&J pickups) used off a GC wall for $110. They tossed in a lousy gig bag. The amp was even more fun. I hit up a couple of church rummage sales and found an early '70's Carvin 275W solid state head and speaker cabinet (2x15" Altec Lansing 418's and a mids/high horn in a 48" tall closed-back ported cabinet) for another $125. Grill cloth is a bit tatty but the whole thing works like a champ. One note, however. The cabinet will *just* fit into a '95 Honda Civic's back seat, but only if you *roll down the windows.*
Quote by dspellman
Nah. Used is the only way to go. What moron does NEW?

Firstly, new stuff has a warranty. Musicians always seem to forget that warranties exist.

Secondly, for the purposes of the game going new makes it a bit harder. Otherwise I'd just go for the $150 Warwick Vampyre that an ex-forum member picked up (genuine German model, not Rockbass) because the shop was that incompetent (there was a cold solder joint, so they priced it for repair/parts IIRC).
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Otherwise I'd just go for the $150 Warwick Vampyre that an ex-forum member picked up (genuine German model, not Rockbass) because the shop was that incompetent (there was a cold solder joint, so they priced it for repair/parts IIRC).

Man, fuck Fitz.

And yeah, $500 for used gear is easy. Squier Classic Vibe + any combo you want, really.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Firstly, new stuff has a warranty. Musicians always seem to forget that warranties exist.

I'm one of those. I've never taken something back under warranty. The closest I've come is with a recent Variax purchase. The silly Koreans had transposed the modeling and alternate tuning knobs. Line 6 is a relatively short drive from me in Calabasas, so I drove it out there and had them swap them for me. Nothing I couldn't have done myself, but I always get a tour of the upcoming bits and pieces (and they have a Faraday cage that's room size!).
Quote by dspellman
I'm one of those. I've never taken something back under warranty. The closest I've come is with a recent Variax purchase. The silly Koreans had transposed the modeling and alternate tuning knobs. Line 6 is a relatively short drive from me in Calabasas, so I drove it out there and had them swap them for me. Nothing I couldn't have done myself, but I always get a tour of the upcoming bits and pieces (and they have a Faraday cage that's room size!).

The Faraday cage would be worth it.
I bought my Squier Bullet new to have something more or less par for the course. Everything else is used. Guitar modding isn't that difficult to me, as far as electronics are concerned. Soldering isn't that complex, and setup...I already had most of the stuff needed. Should get some feeler gauges for precision, but now that I have a better grasp on parameters, it's no big deal. Then again, I like to be hands-on, so others might vary.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Squier Bronco, because short scales have more fun. $150
Ibanez Promethean if I have to have an actual amp. $350

if I could just roll with a DI then it'd be a Darkglass B7K ($330) or an EBS MicroBass II ($300). Then I'd have enough leftover for drinks to get over the fact that I'm playing a Bronco.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The more I see on the Promethean, the more I want one. Usually, Ibanez isn't a company I look at for amps, but 'dat Promethean...
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'd get a Buck49 student geetar-amp-cord-pick-strap combo from Wallyworld. Only play clubs that have a P.A. !
I've been gigging with a rock solid Dean Metalman for years. No problem there. Grab a nice DI box and I still have beer money for the gig.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Secondly, for the purposes of the game going new makes it a bit harder. Otherwise I'd just go for the $150 Warwick Vampyre that an ex-forum member picked up (genuine German model, not Rockbass) because the shop was that incompetent (there was a cold solder joint, so they priced it for repair/parts IIRC).

What most people don't realize about those great new product warranties: If you gig with it, the warranty is usually voided.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Today I bought a Trace Elliot 2x10 cab and a custom build J-bass for £450...

...that's used up the budget though, so someone would need to sub me the cash for an amp to go with it!