I am looking at the blue box (have forever wanted one) i just want something better (?). i haven't ever been happy with any current production MXR pedals (loved some of my 80's choruses though), and want to see if there is something better for a reasonable price.

i will only buy used, likely off of reverb and i would like to keep it under 120usd.

i was considering building one, but i am not that confident yet to do it on a veroboard. if there is a PCB out there, i would likely try that though.

thoughts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I thought that the EQD Bit Commander was similar to the Blue Box, I really didn't care for either though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you say you've wanted the MXR Blue Box forever then why do you want something 'better' than it?

That makes no sense.

What is it about all modern MXR pedals that you don't like? There's dozens of them that are awesome and they've never been reputed for breaking down, despite hundreds of thousands of touring musicians shitckicking them so the build quality of them is at least good enough to not warrant concern.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you say you've wanted the MXR Blue Box forever then why do you want something 'better' than it?

That makes no sense.

What is it about all modern MXR pedals that you don't like? There's dozens of them that are awesome and they've never been reputed for breaking down, despite hundreds of thousands of touring musicians shitckicking them so the build quality of them is at least good enough to not warrant concern.

better components, maybe an extra knob or another tweakable parameter. for example i had a phase 90 for a while. great pedal. i spent $80 on a CMATMODS one, it just blew it away. period. so that is what i mean by better.

for some reason i haven't been pleased with MXR for what i have had. it's my opinion. i have played a few. i didn't like my dyna comp. i also didn't like the micro chorus. the stereo chorus is nice, but i have found better for the price (maybe not the bass and treble), and i have owned a few from the 80's and they were way nicer than the ones they put out today.i didn't like my phase 90 (not nearly as much as my cmatmods one). my favorite pedal in their lineup is their carbon copy, but i prefer my malekko ekko's for the same price. i haven't used any of their newer overdrives, so you may have me on that. its just me.

as far as questioning their durability, i don't question it. they are on the road with thousands of musicians for a reason, they are solid pieces.

its just a preference and opinion, they differ for different people.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by bobafettacheese
I thought that the EQD Bit Commander was similar to the Blue Box, I really didn't care for either though.

i don't have anywhere to get my hands on one but i will look around for clips.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
better components, maybe an extra knob or another tweakable parameter. for example i had a phase 90 for a while. great pedal. i spent $80 on a CMATMODS one, it just blew it away. period. so that is what i mean by better.

I have to agree with the Phase 90. Great sounding pedal but really, really limited.

I don't doubt the quality of the components they use either. They're no better or worse than what anyone else uses that mass produces pedals and if a pedal sounds good, it sounds good. Regardless of what exactly is in it. But I totally get you about versatility. My Keeley Phase 24 has a switch for changing the number of stages of phase and it has a depth control that seems to work as a volume in effect because of the way phase pedals work. It kicks butt. Really warn and chewy sounding but flexible enough to do just more than 1 sound well.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
paging danny!?!?

lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
better? I always found that part of the blue box's charm was that it is unpredictable and unique. making something "better" seems to defeat the purpose
I bought one for $25 off CL a while back. But it sounded so f*ed up that I can't tell if it's working properly.
Quote by fly135
I bought one for $25 off CL a while back. But it sounded so f*ed up that I can't tell if it's working properly.

lol. good price though on the pedal though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!