Hello everyone,

Happily owning a DSL40, I've been wanting something that gives a 50s/60s Fender clean type sound up through dirty blues. I played the Blues Deluxe and was pretty fond of the cleans. I used to own a Deluxe Reverb and really enjoyed the tone but would like a gain channel or master volume on whatever I bought. I was hoping to finance something through guitar center and keep the budget around $500. I've found Blues Juniors and Peavey Delta Blues amps in that range. I've never been able to play the Delta Blues but have heard it's better sounding. I worry about the two however, as they have El84s and I don't know how that might change the characteristics of the clean sound to a British one.

Thank you.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i like the delta blues a lot. i had one with the 15" a while ago. nice amps. depending on the price, maybe i would just go with a classic 30. . for the record, i prefer the 30 to the 50, but the delta blues trumps all of that series.

i would look into mesa a bit, as to what is in your price range and area. they can have some amazing cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Which Mesa model?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Which Mesa model?

there are a bunch of cheaper mesa combos, i haven't tried a ton of them (although i do have a Mkiv and a tremoverb), but for example the F30, F50, 5:15, 5:50, .22cal, .45cal, etc. i know i am missing a few. however i can't for sure say what one would be best for you. i don't remember the ones i have and havent tried.

a lonestar (if in budget) is IMO one of the best clean amps of the last few decades.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Peavey Valveking. it has a really good clean channel and can do some blues dirt. your budget would allow for a used one and a speaker swap. I use mine for this purpose.
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Valveking. it has a really good clean channel and can do some blues dirt. your budget would allow for a used one and a speaker swap. I use mine for this purpose.

i have a VK (am modding one of the days), but for bluesy dirt type stuff, the classic 30 kills it. there isn't a huge price gap there either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a VK (am modding one of the days), but for bluesy dirt type stuff, the classic 30 kills it. there isn't a huge price gap there either.

new not a huge gap used there is. VK 1st version can be had for $200. I dunno I tend to use an overdrive and have gotten some good blues tones. been working on my Peter Green sound and getting there (well for not using a Fender and a Les Paul) . a Classic 30 would be a good choice for the OP none the less.
Quote by monwobobbo
new not a huge gap used there is. VK 1st version can be had for $200. I dunno I tend to use an overdrive and have gotten some good blues tones. been working on my Peter Green sound and getting there (well for not using a Fender and a Les Paul) . a Classic 30 would be a good choice for the OP none the less.

yeah, VK's can be found cheaper. i got mine even cheaper.

why i prefer the classic 30 is because you don't need to mess around with it as much IMO the speaker (while may be even the same) isn't such a bottle neck for a classic 30. no loop patch cable, dummy jack, and with what he is looking for i think he could save the money on an EQ, because you can get by without an EQ in the loop on the classic 30.

its all preferences though.

the first mod i did on my valve king made the lead channel soooo sweet though, no compressed fizzy garbage. it even had sensitivity to picking on the lead channel, could get the easy low gain breakup. but i am going to take a break from it. i am mad at it... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yeah, VK's can be found cheaper. i got mine even cheaper.

why i prefer the classic 30 is because you don't need to mess around with it as much IMO the speaker (while may be even the same) isn't such a bottle neck for a classic 30. no loop patch cable, dummy jack, and with what he is looking for i think he could save the money on an EQ, because you can get by without an EQ in the loop on the classic 30.

its all preferences though.

the first mod i did on my valve king made the lead channel soooo sweet though, no compressed fizzy garbage. it even had sensitivity to picking on the lead channel, could get the easy low gain breakup. but i am going to take a break from it. i am mad at it... lol.

well I haven't bothered with any of that stuff as the VK does fine for lower gain stuff without all that nonsense. for a good old fashioned blues tone it works (at least for me). I never have the gain above 4 and just use an overdrive along with it for hard rock/metal tones.

can't argue that a Classic 30 may work better without per se for a blues tone out of the box. I did find that the clean sound on the VK was a little better to my ears (and others seem to agree).
Had a Delta Blues 1x15 for about 5yrs. Great amp you'll need to pedal it to make it more versatile, but it was a good pedal platform. Mated with my XTLive it would do anything you needed it to do. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but it was to loud for the house. The guy that bought it gigs bars around town and he's very happy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I think the last I looked on Reverb.com, Peavey Delta Blues 115s were under $500.

Another classic clean amp family besides Fender's is Carvin's Vintage line. The 15w Vintage 16/5 and its 50w Nomad & Belair descendants are really good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I got $500 for mine when I sold it. Paid $650 when new I think.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like the delta blues a lot. i had one with the 15" a while ago. nice amps. depending on the price, maybe i would just go with a classic 30. . for the record, i prefer the 30 to the 50, but the delta blues trumps all of that series.

i would look into mesa a bit, as to what is in your price range and area. they can have some amazing cleans.

I preferred my mate's Delta Blues 115 to my Classic 30, but it was bigger and heavier. I would be happy with either.
Quote by Tony Done
I preferred my mate's Delta Blues 115 to my Classic 30, but it was bigger and heavier. I would be happy with either.

yeah, kind of a trade-off.

i should have clarified, that i don't like the regular classic 50 as much as the classic 30, but i love the delta blues more than both.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Would the Delta Blues and Blues Junior pull off authentic Fender cleans from the 50s-60s (for non-vintage amps)?. That's mainly what I need. I have the Marshall for heavy modern stuff and crunchy rock, but want bright Fender type cleans and the honky midrange overdrive they get. Like I said I was going to finance it through guitar center so $500 would probably be the max but $600 if it was something absolutely amazing.
Quote by chip46
The blues Jr is great. The EL84 will not turn your amp into a British tone as Fender designed the amp to sound like a Fender should. The only drawback is that you may hear a bit less bass. The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe features 6L6 tubes so it is able to push more bass. The Blues junior is easier to overdrive and push into tube compression. The biggest drawback of these amps is the speaker. They will benefit from a speaker change similar to your DSL40. Since they are marketed as budget tube amps they have inferior sounding speakers.

The bluestate junior tweed is sold with a Jensen ceramic Speaker that would achieve 60s tones. If you get the regular amp and consider a speaker swap, you should also look into the alnico series from Jensen as these were popular in the 50s-60s until they were phased out by the ceramic.
I have never liked the blues j. , the hot rod deluxe is really good for cleans on a budget. but the overdrive on the amp is abysmal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have never liked the blues j. , the hot rod deluxe is really good for cleans on a budget. but the overdrive on the amp is abysmal.

If you want overdrive sounds from a HRD you should invest in pedals
the Blues Jr is a pretty good amp that gets good tube overdrive at reasonable volume, thanks to it being only 15W. You can find them with a tone stack mod, too, which really opens up the sound. I find the stock model sounds a little canned.

Any Mesa is gong to beat the Blues Jr in overall quality, but you're going to have a harder time balancing tube drive with volume, as they are much higher wattage. I have a 50W DC-5 and it gets some awesome tube breakup, but definitely not at bedroom volume. I keep the tone sparkly clean and use pedals for anything else.
I found a used '57 Champ in my budget but the description worries me. "53 Chassis, newer pro Jr. tweed cabinet, 3 prong chord, replaced resistors, sounds great." I want a Champ but no one someone may have butchered.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I found a used '57 Champ in my budget but the description worries me. "53 Chassis, newer pro Jr. tweed cabinet, 3 prong chord, replaced resistors, sounds great." I want a Champ but no one someone may have butchered.

I only have $309 into the champ (5f1) that I built. maybe you could do that and pay somebody to build it and maybe stay in budget.

I just built my own. it is pretty simple, but there are some challenges.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I don't have the time to take on the project (though I do have knowledge of circuitry thanks to my degree.) Unless there's someone who builds them in my budget I'd have to go with the one I posted.
Quote by chip46