Checked out the bass guitar that belonged to my late friend, I gave it a thorough check out regarding being all original, the machine heads were a bit stiff the volume and tone pots needed some switch cleaner along with the jack socket.
The finish is showing signs of age but all the chrome fittings are still there.
All in all not bad for a 1962 Fender Precision, one owner from new.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift Hi, It's always interesting to read about old instrument, may be you can make a review on it or write a story behind that bass in Community Feed section of News?
Spaz91Being very old but I'm still gigging, like me the bass is very old. Back in the very early 60s it would have cost around £120 British pounds. Back in the 60s it belonged to a friend of mine from schooldays, we grew up in the same street only one year difference in our ages.
Tony and I both started on what was called the Beat Scene 1961/62, Tony owned the Precision from new and up until he died roughly 10 years ago he never had another Bass. I checked out the Bass last week for Tony's widow and although plenty of road use it is all original, the ashtrays (chrome fittings) are still n place, the volume and tone controls just need some switch cleaner, the machine heads a little light grease oh and new strings, when I played it through my combo it was fine, the neck was perfectly straight and there was room to lower the action.
What people must realise is that we new nothing of action or intonation back in the 60s. A value of £5000 British pounds has been put on it.
Hope that this is of interest
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 16, 2017,
John I talked to my friend who deals in vintage instruments and does extensive luthier work. He says that bass is worth easily 7 - 10K USD based on the photos you sent and that he would start pricing it at $8500.00 USD or around £7000.00
Quote by anarkee
John I talked to my friend who deals in vintage instruments and does extensive luthier work. He says that bass is worth easily 7 - 10K USD based on the photos you sent and that he would start pricing it at $8500.00 USD or around £7000.00

Thanks a bundle, I'm so concerned about the conman agent who offered her £1700 $2100 USD that I've pleaded with her to take it to a friend or relatives as I just don't trust they guy.
But much very appreciated John
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I would look into getting it an appraisal from Gruhn: https://guitars.com/appraisals

That little piece of paper can be some real ammunition to fend off lowballers. And it can be important to prospective buyers, especially if they're collectors.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I would look into getting it an appraisal from Gruhn: https://guitars.com/appraisals

That little piece of paper can be some real ammunition to fend off lowballers. And it can be important to prospective buyers, especially if they're collectors.

Many thanks, I'll go with 'anarkees' valuation, I'm just glad that when I met Annette at Tony's funeral I asked her to get in touch with me if she ever thought of selling the bass, this she did and with help of people like anarkee I've been able to show Annette just how much it is really worth. Annette has also promised to place the bass in safe keeping.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I would suggest to her to get it insured as well.

Good idea I hadn't thought of that, thanks.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn