Seriously happy camper here, thanks to the masterpiece I’m about to review – the Esoterik DR1.

Before the write up, one of many pics:

Today I had a chance to let this thing rip through a Powerball II at very high volume. What an absolute monster of a guitar. I have it in D-Standard tuning with 10-52 strings and the tone is very crisp and defined, with great note separation at high gain. And thick, thick, thick.

Price is a hair under $1,000. Here are the key features:

• Walnut neck-through with maple stripes
• Mahogany wings
• 24 stainless steel jumbo frets, and the fretwork is outstanding
• Ebony fingerboard and binding
• 25.5” scale
• Glow-in-the-dark side dots
• Premium hardware
• Slight curve to the body
• Slightly offset strap pegs, which helps balance the guitar beautifully
• Seymour Duncan Distortion and Jazz
• Really slick looking body shape and headstock, and outstanding fit and finish
• Custom-fit, premium hardshell case included, plus a large branded chamois and T-shirt
• Made in Korea

And:
• When you order the guitar, the company owner, Ryan Cook, will email you to get your preferred string brand and gauge, as well as your preferred tuning, so that when they set up the guitar in California they can cut the nut slots for your gauge and intonate the guitar to your preferred specs
• You can get different pickups or mail yours in. I believe there is a small upcharge for this (I stuck with the stock SD Distortion)
• Even with the hardshell case, the guitar was shipped double-boxed, and I mean both boxes were heavy duty cardboard.

Some other observations:

• Neck is thin and has a 16” radius; it’s also very slick, owing to the finish
• If you like messing around at the 24th fret, the access on this neck is better than anything I’ve ever seen
• Sustain is exceptional, undoubtedly a combination of the neck-through and the excellent fretwork
• The bevelling where the forearm rests is perfect; and again the finish of the guitar makes that area very slick, so your forearm will never get stuck
• Despite the mahogany wings, the guitar is noticeably light
• It’s one thing to look at this guitar and say it looks great, but when you actually strap in and feel all of the little extra things they’ve done, such as the curved body and the bevelling, you’ll see that there is some serious attention to detail and thoughtfulness that went into the design of this guitar

I bought this guitar online, sight unseen. If these are the specs you’re looking for, I wouldn’t worry about not being able to try one first. I don’t want to beat up on LTD, Schecter and similar brands, because they make excellent guitars, but after this experience the thought of buying one of those brands is totally out of the question. The Esoterik has more premium features, looks way cooler, comes with a hard case, it’s less expensive because you’re buying direct and they do very little advertising that I can see, and I’m getting better tone and sustain.

More pics:

Last edited by PB26 at Jan 14, 2017,
Very cool. And very cheap price too.

How much do these guys ship to the UK? Do they do customs?

Now sure how I feel about the volume, tone and switch being placed that near the edge of the body though and at that angle. They seem too far away, a bit difficult to get to and could accidentally be moved by your leg sitting down.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sweet! And it looks like it could double as a weapon! Nice acquisition! HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Very cool. And very cheap price too.

How much do these guys ship to the UK? Do they do customs?

Now sure how I feel about the volume, tone and switch being placed that near the edge of the body though and at that angle. They seem too far away, a bit difficult to get to and could accidentally be moved by your leg sitting down.

I'm pretty sure they ship everywhere, I'd just shoot them an email. Don't worry about the knobs hitting your leg -- I play standing up but I just rested the guitar on my leg and there's no issue because of where the cut out is. The knobs being where they are was actually the cherry on the cake for me -- I like them as far away as possible.
Sweeeet! I might have to check Esoterik out. Wonder if they do 7 strings...
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by FatalGear41
Sweet! And it looks like it could double as a weapon! Nice acquisition! HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!

Thanks man, it's definitely a looker!
Quote by BCKRedBaron
Sweeeet! I might have to check Esoterik out. Wonder if they do 7 strings...

I just went by their web site and it looks like 7 and 8 string models are coming soon judging my the message at the top of the page.
Congrats. That's looks great. Never heard of these guys before but since they offer guitars with a Kahler I'll have to look into it.
That looks really cool dude, loving the back on it. And some nice other features, for a very good price. HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
That's a huge bargain! I love the look, more than that though customer service sounds superb.

HNGD!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The price is definitely an eye opener, I felt I underpaid considerably for what I got. And the CS is great. The owner is very responsive to emails and he sent me an update when my guitar was about to be set-up, then another one when it shipped, with tracking number. He's known as a top luthier who also makes handmade versions of this same model, and from what I could gather when I did my web research, the production model I bought is based on the handmade one.
Awesome find!!! Enjoy it!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .