Looking for some advice. About 2 weeks ago my basement flooded due to a sewage back-up (luckily it wasn't super gross brown sludge, mostly clean LOOKING water). All of my guitars/music equipment are of course in said basement, leaning against a wall in their respective cases. Some of these damaged/contaminated items include; Not even a year old Martin GPCPA5, Feneder Telecaster, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, Fender Koa Ukulele, a USB keyboard, PA speakers/stands, etc etc. The PA speakers are of lower quality and built of particle board which I would assume soaked up a good bit of water, so I'm chalking those up as being damaged. I haven't checked out the keyboard yet. My guitars, however, were the first things I went to. So here is what I found:

All guitars, no matter if they were in hard cases or soft bags, were wet to some extent. They were sitting in about an inch of water which intern just soaked through and up the cases. My Martin was wet 3/4 of the way up the one side of the body. I'd say that was one of the worst ones.

I dried them all off and then wiped them off with some cleaner to sanitize them. They then sat in a bedroom upstairs to dry out over a few days.

Should I be worried? Is there anything I should look out for? As of right now, I can't SEE any damage, but I don't want this to be a case of something being bad later on down the road.
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Last edited by mrsixstrings12 at Jan 14, 2017,
Well, it's not like we're talking in term of the guitars actully being submerged. The worst that could happen, (I think) is an internal brace or two coming loose. I would worry more about the acoustics than the electrics.

In either case, both Titebond and Hide glue are to some extend, waterproof. But you couldn't use either to patch a swimming pool. (If you get where I'm coming from here). As you've most likely figured out, the cases may have to be trashed. You might try cleaning the fur, then sitting them directly facing a sunny window for a few days. "Febreze" or something similar might help with the odor, as long as you clean them the best you can first.

Something else to look for specifically with the acoustics, would be the sound boards swelling from the moisture. These rise and fall over the course of the year due to different humidity in different seasons, but your situation could potentially be much worse. It might help to wrap a bunch of rice in tissue paper, and drop it in the sound holes. If you have a decent quantity of silica gel, so much the better.

With your electrics, it might not be a bad idea to pop the covers off the control cavities, and check for gook or water in the controls.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 15, 2017,
This would be the perfect excuse to replace them with carbon fiber instruments....
TobusRex Actually, it seems like those really expensive waterproof flight cases might be the better way to go.

Although, a carbon fiber guitar might make a great cat video for YouTube. Just imagine, a kitten in the sound hole, two tiny oars strapped to its tiny paws, mewing sadly as it floats through a flooded basement...poignant indeed.
Tony Done Sadly nothing. My worn out old lungs simply can't take smoke of any kind....

OTOH, I think I had a very enjoyable drug interaction between Bacardi's new seasoned run, "Oakheart", and some prescription medications,... which must unfortunately, remain nameless. I'm truly sorry if this impedes you from attempting to duplicate my state of mind at the time of that post.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 15, 2017,
Quote by Captaincranky
Tony Done Sadly nothing. My worn out old lungs simply can't take smoke of any kind....

OTOH, I think I had a very enjoyable drug interaction between Bacardi's new seasoned run, "Oakheart", and some prescription medications,... which must unfortunately, remain nameless. I'm truly sorry if this impedes you from attempting to duplicate my state of mind at the time of that post.

Good thing for these, huh?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-gives-marijuana-edibles-new-look-to-avoid-confusion/
Quote by TobusRex
Good thing for these, huh? ....[ ]......
Had these been available when James Taylor wrote his famous song, the lyrics would have been, "I'm going to Arizona in my mind"...