Probably a stupid question but I recently bought a bass and don't have a bass amp, however I have a 60w solid state guitar amp, would it be safe to play it through that? I don't plan on playing all that loud, just practicing in my room. Ive hears you can damage tube amps this way but since its a solid state am I in the clear?
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Yeah, it would be safe, but you don't want to blow the speaker. The speaker will be the thing that limits the tone you'll get out of it, and the thing that might not handle the really low frequencies of the bass.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by cj_leee
Probably a stupid question but I recently bought a bass and don't have a bass amp, however I have a 60w solid state guitar amp, would it be safe to play it through that? I don't plan on playing all that loud, just practicing in my room. Ive hears you can damage tube amps this way but since its a solid state am I in the clear?
Quote by 8Len8
Yeah, it would be safe, but you don't want to blow the speaker. The speaker will be the thing that limits the tone you'll get out of it, and the thing that might not handle the really low frequencies of the bass.
Bass frequencies can tear apart guitar speakers cones from what I understand, 1/10 would not attempt.
Quote by Will Lane
Bass frequencies can tear apart guitar speakers cones from what I understand, 1/10 would not attempt.

Playing through a small pa system would be ok right? I thought playing through a guitar amp would be using it to the most of its potential that I can, but if its bad for it then the pa would be a better idea?
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
The amp itself doesn't care what you play through it -- tubes or solid state. The speaker does. If your PA system won't support low end bass, then it'll have issues as well. If you've got some powerful subwoofers on your PA system, however, you're good to go.
I have a Fender Princeton 60 watt ss amp that I played bass thru for a while in a garage rock band, no issues but it was a full range speaker, you can get away with it for a while but using it for too long could damage the speaker, especially at high volumes.