Looking for some opinions / suggestions on amps to consider and try out that will put me in the realm of that Texas blues / SRV realm. Have a couple nice strats, one with vintage 59 pickups, and another with Texas Specials...Have the tube screamer..Just need to find the right amp now. Some that I've been looking into (through youtube) are a Roland Blues Cube Hot, a Fender Blues Jr, Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, Fender Super Champ X2, and a Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head.

I haven't actually played any of these yet but except for the Deluxe Reverb, the rest are all available at some local shops. I'm good with a one trick pony type amp since I'm really just chasing that SRV sound (as close as I can get anyway with my noobish skills compared to the great Stevie of course!!) . I don't gig at the moment and just play in my bedroom so I'm not really able to crank it unless I get some sort of attenuator which I'm open to. Eventually I want to start attending some local blues jams and find others to jam with but at this point it's just me in my room. Price isn't a big deal as I'd prefer to find quality and tone, which I know I just have to play them and it's based on my ears..but hoping for some advice from more experienced players interested in this type of sound and playing.
1) Other amps you should consider include the Pevey Delta Blues 115 and Carvin's Vintage 16, Nomad & Belair. Quilter solid state amps would also be good options.

2) regardless, you won't get close to SRVs recorded tone because
a) he used a lot of pricey gear that most people can't afford or wouldn't consider buying unless they're pros
b) there was a lot of studio wizardry you won't have access to.
3) his gear's performance at louder-than-bedroom levels were part of his sound
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
1)
2) regardless, you won't get close to SRVs recorded tone because
a) he used a lot of pricey gear that most people can't afford or wouldn't consider buying unless they're pros
b) there was a lot of studio wizardry you won't have access to.
3) his gear's performance at louder-than-bedroom levels were part of his sound

Yes I completely agree with all of that..and I'll never be able to play anywhere near his ability or use the pipe size strings he did. I'm not trying to get HIS tone, just something along the lines of that kind of gritty blues sound associated with his music. As opposed to say, BB King. Love the King and his tone is incredible, but something about that gritty southern clean breakup blues that just gets me.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.
You'll need healthy pedal board also. Tube screamer, univibe, some fuzz,wah, etc.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
You'll need healthy pedal board also. Tube screamer, univibe, some fuzz,wah, etc.

Absolutely..I've got a tube screamer and checking out a couple different old school wahs tomorrow. Haven't dug into the univibe or fuzz pedals yet though.
I think it was vox wah originally haven't looked it up in a while. I get my SRV tones from my POD. Saved me a tone of cash and more then good enough for my den. If it wasn't for multiFX I'd probably have $5000 in pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
scott58
Quote by scott58
I think it was vox wah originally haven't looked it up in a while. I get my SRV tones from my POD. Saved me a tone of cash and more then good enough for my den. If it wasn't for multiFX I'd probably have $5000 in pedals.

Ya know, I've been looking at the new Line 6 spider V's, a Firehawk and HD500, and some of the POD's...I just haven't been able to wrap my head around those digital ideas of tone. Which is really funny because I'm a huge tech geek and a software engineer..but in regards to playing guitar it just seems like..cheating? Fake, I'm not sure..doesn't feel right though. I'm in no means a purist and haven't been playing very long but I guess I've just always thought of bluesy tone coming from tube breakup and can't seem to grasp how that sound can be emulated in a digital fashion. I'd love to get there because it seems like the much cheaper route and far more practical for home playing but I just don't know how to go about it I guess.
basudz

OK, gotcha!

A tubescreamer- original or one of the many pedals it inspired- is a good option, especially for solos/lead work. But a lower-octane OD might be useful as a clean boost or light OD to color your foundational tone. A lot of players around here favor Timmys, I've never tried one. I personally have a Keeley Katana Blues and a Magnetic Effects Satellite, and have a ThorpyFX Warthog and Gunshot on my radar.

SRV used a few octave up effects over the years. Malekko's Helium Mk2, Catalinbread's Octopussy, and EQD's Tentacle would be good options. That last one is actually made from the octav-up circuit from EQD's Hoof Reaper fuzz pedal.

Good pedals in the Reverb/Echo/Delay family of effects would seem to be standard for the genre.

What fuzz you pick and how you use it will go a long way towards defining your position in the genre. The Analogman Sun Face is a good Fuzz Face clone. The ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud (renamed the Fallout Cloud) can do a good job with that,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The big thing is volume. I sold my delta blues because when I'd use it the way it was meant to be used and sounded the way I liked it it was always a visit from the cops. That got old quick. So I settle for 5 watts and depend on modeling and pedals. But I've found it's really not settling. I had some great Gilmore, petty, SRV and many others. I say had because after 10 years my XTLive finally crapped out I just got a POD HD so I'm starting from scratch. The good news is modeling is a lot better now and I'm looking forward to my vacation next week. I'm spending it getting all my tones back. I learned a lot in 10 years I'm gonna see if I can put it to good use
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Bedroom? Get yourself a focusrite, some decent headphones and some nice VST's (plenty good ones for free out there) or a good amp sim. Sounds way better than any amp at 'bedroom' levels. Trust me, I own a peavey valveking II 20 watt combo, and to get it loud enough to make it sound it's worth half the money you're already making a racket. Even 5 watts is pretty damn loud out of a tube amp.
Just get any old amp mate trust me, the limiting factor is not the amp by the sounds of things. Like scott says, you aren't going to make a tube amp sound good at bedroom levels, even a crappy 5 watt one.
My HRD sounds just fine at bedroom levels. It just won't break up.

Thus, pedals.

Quote by mkouta95
Bedroom? Get yourself a focusrite, some decent headphones and some nice VST's (plenty good ones for free out there) or a good amp sim. Sounds way better than any amp at 'bedroom' levels. Trust me, I own a peavey valveking II 20 watt combo, and to get it loud enough to make it sound it's worth half the money you're already making a racket. Even 5 watts is pretty damn loud out of a tube amp.
Just get any old amp mate trust me, the limiting factor is not the amp by the sounds of things. Like scott says, you aren't going to make a tube amp sound good at bedroom levels, even a crappy 5 watt one.

One of the problems that has stopped me from going this route is that I don't know how I would take this setup to a friends house to jam with? And also how do I use it with foot pedals for turning effects on and off during my playing? I've read a little bit about connecting some monitor speakers with units like an HD500 which seems like it might be how I'd go about making this kind of setup "portable".