Hi, I wanted to try to find out why my Ibanez SCA-220 (S-Classic) with a hardtail bridge is going out of tune. I installed locking tuners on it not too long ago and have Dunlop 9-42 strings on it. I put on the new strings a couple months, ago, stretched them and played it very little since then. It's been in a gig bag in my closet and when I went to tune it, all the strings were flat. After tuning it back up and stretching the strings again, all 6 of the strings went very flat and that hasn't happened to me before with any fixed bridge. If anyone has any idea as to what is going on, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

-Scott
What tuning are you using? Standard tune or drop? If you're drop tuning with such a light gauge you can expect tuning instability. It could also just be that the neck moved on you and you need a truss rod adjustment. Or, if you have a heavy picking hand, you'll knock those light strings out of tune quite easily, especially if you are drop tuning. Just a few possibilities.
PB26Thanks for the info, I'm thinking that the neck moved although I've never had all the strings do that before. I use Standard tuning and wasn't playing that hard. LOL I had it setup a few months ago and I'll probably take it back to see if the guy can find anything wrong. I really appreciate your input!
Quote by scottinpa40
PB26Thanks for the info, I'm thinking that the neck moved although I've never had all the strings do that before. I use Standard tuning and wasn't playing that hard. LOL I had it setup a few months ago and I'll probably take it back to see if the guy can find anything wrong. I really appreciate your input!

Pretty common this time of year for guitar necks to be uncooperative. The weather where I am in Canada isn't much different than PA and I've tweaked my truss rod on one of my guitars twice in the last month.

An easy way to tell if things are moving is to set the guitar up the way you like it (or get someone to do it for you), then have a string action measuring gauge on hand to check the string height at the 12th fret. If later on the string action becomes lower than initially set up, the neck is backbowing; if the strings move higher, it's bowing/increasing neck relief.