Looking for a tube amp to replace my Line 6 Spider IV 30. My band mostly plays alternative rock but there are times when I might need some heavier distortion for Metallica/Megadeth style metal. I want an amp that has great cleans but can also have some higher gain options. I have a TC Dark Matter Distortion for hard rock and if I got an amp that doesn't have metal distortion I will probably buy a different pedal for it. I can get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for a pretty good deal so my question is, if I run it with a Boss Metal Zone or Donner Giant Metal would it work? If not what other amps would you suggest, preferably no more than $600.
Last edited by priestsofsyrinx at Jan 16, 2017,
I own a HRD: not ideal for metal, so I'm buying an Orange TH30.

Peaveys are good. The Fender Bassbreakers might work, but might be too pricey. I can also think of a few Mesas, Oranges, Carvins & Jet Citys that might work...

Are you looking at heads or combos?
Where do you live (country affects availability)?
Can/will you buy used?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Here's my tip. Don't buy any pedal with the word "metal" in the name.

Apart from that, no the HRD isn't going to do metal. IF you're dark matter gets heavy enough for your idea of metal then maybe it would work into the clean channel. Thing being though that combo amps are going to sound loose and they will not have the thump that I'm sure you're after. Best to see if you can find something used with a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. Kinda hard to have the good clean and metal thing going but some suggestions I would toss out would be a 6505, DSL 100, or a Mesa of some sort if you can afford one. It's hard to find a tube amp in that price range that offers everything you're looking for. You'll have to go and try out some things, that would be your best course.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Mesa Boogie triple rectifier
Rectifier 2x12"
The Fender HRD is not a metal amp, no matter what sort of mid-scooping ultra gain box you put in it.

I think getting a Peavey JSX is a good idea if you can get one for $600 used.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
dannyalcatraz Combos are preferable because they are more portable and usually cheaper but I'm open to other options. I live in Canada and I would like to buy used if I can. As I said I would not be using the metal distortion too frequently but it's an option I would like to have available to me...
Just looked into some used gear and I can get a Peavey Valveking II 20 MH 20W/5W/1W Head for pretty cheap. Can I get good cleans as well as distortion? If so, any suggestions on a fairly cheap cabinet to run it with? Also I guess I should mention that my main guitar is a Fender MIM Strat.
The dark matter is more of a cranked plexi sound. And as repeated an HRD won't do metal. You could look into a jet city JCA20 or 50h. Should be able to find a used one cheap and a 2x12 cab plus an od pedal. They can and will do metal and hard rock.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Jet city combo or laney irt combo
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Ok so I've done some research into Jet City after these recommendations and I can get a used Jet City 333 22w head for $325 or a 333 20w combo for $575. Are these prices reasonable and which would you recommend?
Cleans are one reason I prefer the Carvin V3M. JCA''s cleans are decent, but not their strong suit. Their selling point is delivering the SLO sound at a surprisingly low price. To my ears, at least, the V3M's cleans are better.

Here are a couple of vids. I've heard the JCA cleaner and the V3MC heavier, but both of these vids give a taste of each amp's range. Most others concentrate on one end or the other.

The 50 watt combo is really cheap too.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by priestsofsyrinx
Just looked into some used gear and I can get a Peavey Valveking II 20 MH 20W/5W/1W Head for pretty cheap. Can I get good cleans as well as distortion? If so, any suggestions on a fairly cheap cabinet to run it with? Also I guess I should mention that my main guitar is a Fender MIM Strat.

Yeah, I would say that could be a very good option for you. The little VK is a nice sounding amp, even Rob Chapman made a big deal about those. Clean should be pretty good but remember, with a low power EL84 amp it's not going to have a lot of headroom, so if you're playing at higher volume it will distort some. They also make a 6505 in mini version which would be better for the rock/metal stuff BUT cleans will suffer there, so the VK is probably the better option given your needs.

Also, a strat, do you have a humbucker in the bridge? If not get one in there pronto, that will do more for a "metal" tone than any amp, single coils just won't do that sound.

Oh, one final thing. This is a personal preference but I do not like combo amps, they just don't have the tightness and thump of a closed back cabinet, even a 1x12 cabinet is going to sound better than a combo with an open back. Just my opinion but I've tried both ways and the head/cabinet set up is better to me.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Rectifier 2x12"
Also, a strat, do you have a humbucker in the bridge? If not get one in there pronto, that will do more for a "metal" tone than any amp, single coils just won't do that sound.

Ahhhh...I can't agree with that.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ahhhh...I can't agree with that.

Ok, a BKP will but not a stock MIM strat single coil. Especially not through a HRD.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Rectifier 2x12"
Good amp.

Chiliphil1

I was speaking more in terms of a pickup swap doing more than an amp change in terms of developing a metal tone.

I also think there are definitely singlecoils that do certain metal tones just fine. Heck, I've even posted vids of guys demoing unmodified strats & teles doing metal here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713133

Now, in fairness, the Hello Kitty Strat has a HB. The ones here do not.

Etc.

No, it's not Meshuggah, but it's still doing just fine with less high-gain forms of the genre.

gregs1020

For most metal, I agree- especially the modern, high-gain stuff. But I don't think certain earlier, lower-gain metal works sound right with HBs.

IMO, the Valveking isn't really stellar at anything.
But it does a lot of things pretty well.
And they are usually dirt cheap.
A decent gain pedal can get you to some heavy stuff.

I've never tried one myself, but Jet City gets recommended here A LOT for the heavy stuff.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 17, 2017,
I've seen the mini Mesa Recto go for as low as $600 2nd hand.
Peavey 5150 micro head, valve King micro head, Carvin amps. Second hand you can get a good deal, all under $600.

Egnater Tweaker can do a Marshall kind of sound and sounds good to my ears. They can be had quite cheap.
Alice in Chains - Dirt album, has some heavy tones that the Egnater can do well. There's a video on YouTube.

Those are a few amps I can think of. Preferably closed-back cab or the low end will sound like elephant farts.

Those are my personal choices and they're good. Chuck Norris approved.
Last edited by Charlie4 at Jan 17, 2017,
dannyalcatraz

Gotcha, misunderstood.. I guess you're right. Maybe it won't be a bigger difference than changing amps but it will make a massive difference none the less. I tried the single coil metal thing and while it would do a maiden Yngwie kinda thing I wouldn't be playing the black album with them. Like you said, earlier metal would work, newer stuff, not so much.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Rectifier 2x12"
I am a Fender fanboy and like the HRD a lot... Just not for Metal.

Valve King, JSX, 6505, Laney Ironheart, Jet City are right up your alley.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
As far as "not for metal", I say f**k it. You want to sound like everybody else? I'd try it with the pedal and see if it works for you. You may just get a tone that suits you, although different than the standard metal tone. I never go with just the amps gain channels anyhow. You almost always need to tweak the tone with some sort of overdrive to shape it up.

To add to amp suggestions, I bought a Carvin v3m and it does everything. Has 2 gain channels and 1 clean, reverb and an effects loop. The cleans are sparkling with my tele and plenty of gain for my metal guitars, though I do need to shape it a bit. Granted, you'll need a cab with it, but can get those fairly cheap. It was around $600
Last edited by pressureproject at Jan 18, 2017,
The V3M does come in combo form, @$700 new.

But that reminds me- I have also seen older V3 heads (and combos!) available in that price range.