Hi gang,

Someone brought to my attention that we should do a reharmonization challenge - I'm all for it. So I'm making this thread to organize and then implement it.

If you want in, this is the place to sign up, and also contribute any suggestions you have to the rules. What I'm thinking so far is:

1. We take two communal melodies, one "easy" (diatonic and simple) and one "hard" (all over the place chromatically).

2. Everyone harmonizes those melodies in whichever way they damn well please.

3. Compare them and yell at each other over who's is less stupid.

That's it. I dunno if we want to use an existing melody (just not Twinkle again), or write something as a team, but I'm open to suggestions despite my heavily voting for the former.

The best part is we don't even have to record this crap we can just make chord charts and compare it on paper.

Other than that I think we should keep it relatively light on the rules; I want to see different approaches. Maybe someone does all triads. Maybe someone moves it through 6 keys. Maybe someone does a modal harmonization or one full of simultaneities. Maybe it's on chord per note.... (keeps brainstorming to himself for 30 minutes before he realizes no one is listening)

Let's do it and have fun with it!
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Sign me up of course. This is a great idea, but yeah let's not do Twinkle again please
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I'm in.

I think it should be a new melody that hasn't been harmonized yet. The thread about the Smashing Pumpkins influenced riff was interesting because people heard it in different keys. So it should be something like that - something that people could listen to with fresh ears. If it was a song that already exists, people would most likely already have the original version in their ears so strongly that coming up with completely different harmonizations could be difficult.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'm also in (as a remixer, I find stuff like this cool). Please no nursery rhymes this time. Somebody write a decent simple melody before I write one.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Up for it; if we need a melody I could transcribe some, just need to choose/make one
Quote by NeoMvsEu
just need to choose/make one

Maybe we can have two challenges - one for melody, one for it's reharmonization. First we all write a melody, then we reharmonize the "winner/s".
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
How about I host the diatonic melody portion of the challenge and Jet can host the reharm/main event. What do you guys think (I promise the rules won't be too insane)? Who's going to volunteer to judge the melody's (provided we agree on this)?

I'm sure we can create some good melodies that are truly unique yet simple this way.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
I decided I'm going to host a melody contest now and if you guys want, we'll use the winning melodies from the contest. Tell me what you think and check out my Doom/Black Metal thread please. Also I think there should be a rule that if the user uses chords, they should post which ones were used.

Mm I think there's a difference between a challenge and a contest; people are allowed to choose favorites, but this seems more of an open challenge than a closed contest

If we're going to choose a melody from a bunch of existing/new melodies, though, best to keep it democratic to welcome more discussion

(Not that you're not allowed to choose a favorite of your own, but it never hurts to hear multiple viewpoints and the reasoning behind it)
NeoMvsEu

That is why I put the word winner in quotation marks, I don't like the idea of a contest either. But on the other hand, it would be cool to see how other people tend to write music around here.

Ronald kind of jumped on the idea way faster that I expected, I thought that we were going to have some discussion about this first to be honest...
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
I edited my thread to make it so the winner will be decided by the UT members (especially the regulars) and was never planning on being the main judge (just the host). What do you guys think of my challenge (I'm not changing the inspiration thing)?

I think we should all do the same melody, whatever it is. That way we can see how different people attack the material. Trying to see how we all write is a different matter somewhat, right?

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I agree, Jet. I hope this challenge will be a success (it's a great concept). Do you think the users should list the chords they used in their harmonization?

There has been a lack of volunteers on my melody contest so I want suggestions for inspirations number 7 (for simple melody) and 8 (for complex melodies) if that's the problem. I just wanted to host a nice melody contest and maybe help JetPenguin with the reharm challenge. Also I hope someone responds to my Black/Doom Metal thread ...

In commemoration of me eating Tex Mex atm (ha kinda not really), I've just thought of Livin' La Vida Loca

It seems rather open-ended, anyone thoughts?
Sign me up m8, im cited
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by copperwreck
Can't wait to listen to your submissions. (I'm far from experienced enough to try to harmonize anything.)

And I though I'd just post an inspirational video:

(edit: Seems I can't just post a link to youtube. It always embeds?

Nah, that's a really inefficient way of doing it. Just harmonise it all on one staff (one for each instrument group: trumpets, bones, saxes etc.) except the rhythm section. That one you do the instruments separately. Then you use Sibelius's arrange function and split it into x amounts of parts. Copy and paste into corresponding instruments, transpose into right octave and you're done (except hairpins, dynamics, articulations and all that jazz).
^This guy knows what's up.

That video's method would take forever.

I think we've waited long enough and we can start this thing. Someone who isn't me come up with a melody.

Melodies... well, this is somewhere between diatonic and chromatic, with key changes (in the original harmonization at least )

Anyone interested? If yes, I can write the melody down. Otherwise, ppl, we do need a melody to start a reharm challenge >.>
That works for me
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Seems my contest was a bit of a bust and may not be used in this contest. I think that anime song may work well anyway (I'm a big anime fan but haven't seen that movie yet).

Here's a counter-melody I wrote in tab (rhythm is either 8th note, quarter note, or some mixture). We could perhaps mix the 2.
G|--------------------------------------------------
D|----2-3-5-6-5-2-------2----2-2-3--0-------
A|-3-------------------3-3----3-------------3----
E|-----------------------------------------------------

Still think we should list our chords if used ...

Last edited by RonaldPoe at Jan 27, 2017,
Hello again,

2 things:
1) attached melody via PDF. If you want to edit it a little bit (since the ending is basically the chorus repeating to fade and alternating between voice and what I believe is a harp/guitar duet), I can also attach it via MIDI in a different post
2) Perhaps once we're done, if we're doing chord sheets, could we use spoilers?

Btw, RonaldPoe, Jet Penguin wrote this:
The best part is we don't even have to record this crap we can just make chord charts and compare it on paper.
I don't think there's a use in restraining key because things can always be transposed, but yes - the goal is, at the very least, to write chords down and compare.
Attachments:
Arrietty's Song - Full Score.pdf
^This.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Also I'm just doing A&B (jazz style) because this shit is way too long.

Edit: DONE!

So do we have a time limit? No way I can do this over the weekend right now. But next week should work out.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Kev, probably, but we haven't made a decision on that lol

For anyone's motivation

Hasn't jazz already harmed enough innocent melodies? Where will you sick people draw the line?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Hasn't jazz already harmed enough innocent melodies? Where will you sick people draw the line?
Cheeky, but 😂
On tour till Friday night - I'll post mine then and we'll wrap it up. That'll give everyone a few more days for the stragglers.