Hi guys,

First thread here, so hi!

Looked all over the internet, didn't seem to find anything on this so.. here we go:

I'm currently looking fwd my first electric guitar setup and I'm a bit confused as of what I should get to plug the guitar in.
I'm actually looking to play some metal kind of stuff in the In Flames / Metallica / etc. range or heavier.
I'm not into recording at all though (for now).
I'll mainly want to play at home, getting in from work and picking up the guitar to practice and chill.
I'm really looking fwd something I can just plug in, play and put headphones on if my girlfriend feels like I should..
Trying to keeping things in the $300 CAD -ish range.

Guitar in sight is the Ibanez RG421.

Now, here comes my dilemma:

1. Bias FX + M-Audio M-Track 2x2 + some DAW
That setup would allow me to test out many kinds of FX and all without having to get out and buy the pedal for the job. But I need to power up the computer, etc.

2. Bugera v5 Infinium amp + some multi effect pedal to mess around with later
This has the nice tube amp tone and basic reverb + not so bad distortion (at 5W). I guess it has more of a "blues" tune to it, right? Would it be enough?

3. Boss Katana 50 amp
This has the 50 effect presets built-in, enabling me to mess around but lacks the "tube amp" sound I liked of the Bugera. It also has the headphone out feature, the Bugera doesn't. EDIT: It actually does!

Any other idea I might've missed?
Last edited by py.cvalade at Jan 15, 2017,
For metal? Peavey Vypyr VIP2.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
1. I would steer away from only having a computer as you amp. Trust me, I've got great amp sims on mine but I hardly ever plug into it, it's just not the same as having a real amp.

2. I would never recommend Bugera to anyone, they had some reliability issues and well, maybe they're better now but I wouldn't buy one.

3. No idea, I've seen good things but I have not actually played one.

The biggest thing is this, assuming you want a combo. Do you want to add (over time) pedals to give it a different flavor or do you want to be "all set" from the beginning?

In your price range you may consider the Marshall DSL5, Orange micro terror with a 1x12 cabinet. I recently purchased a hotone nano heart attack amp and it's not bad. It only does metal but it does it pretty well.

Best advice would be to look at used items, you can get a much wider variety of things that way.

Also, the suggestion for the Peavey vypyr above is not a bad one.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Mesa Boogie triple rectifier
Rectifier 2x12"
Yeap, Peavey Vypyr would be a solid choice, it has a really decent 5150/6505 sim in it which has been the amp of choice for In Flames guys for many years.

And I agree with Chiliphil1, I actually bought Peavey Revalver, made a patch with the best approximation of my physical amp's (Peavey Ultra Plus) sound that I could and although it sounds great I hardly ever use it, I prefer the real deal, even for stuff like whisper level practice.
@Chiliphil1, the dsl5c is about $750CAD after taxes.

tsc86 The Butcher model with an OD should be able to get older Metallica tones easily as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV Yeap.

And the JSX model can get you in Mesa-era Metallica ballpark.
You don't want the bugera V5 for playing metal, the amps distortion isn't metal so you will need a distortion pedal to get your metal tones, plus the V5 only has an 8" speaker, you will want at least one 12" speaker to get the low end you want for metal. If you are going to get a decent metal pedal pickup a Peavey solidstate amp, there are lots used for cheap, run it on the clean channel with your pedal and you have metal for your budget with headphone option

The Peavey Vypr is another option as noted, get a model that has a 12" speaker, the Boss Katana is also a good option, very similar type of amp to the Vypr i.e. modeling with some digital effects.
Quote by DarthV
@Chiliphil1, the dsl5c is about $750CAD after taxes.

tsc86 The Butcher model with an OD should be able to get older Metallica tones easily as well.

Wow, I did not realize that. They're nowhere near that price here in the states. Used should also help with the price.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Mesa Boogie triple rectifier
Rectifier 2x12"
For $300 CAD maybe look for some local Traynor amps if you can find.

Maybe the USB multifx is not a bad idea, something from the Boss ME series as they also have USB connections which you can record with or practice silently, look into Epi Valve Jr or Kustom Defender amps instead of the Bugera.
Thx guys! Sorry for the delay, didn't get the notifications like I thought I would through email..

Anyways.. Couldn't find the Peavey in nearby shops so I went for the one that sounded best in the shop that wasn't over budget (tried like 10) and came out with the Boss Katana 50, which gives me all boss pedals built-in and some "recording features" if need be to get that IQ up. It's lack of fx loop to plug in some looper is the only downside, but hey.. I'll upgrade when I get there to some 100w then and get something that sounds like me!

I'm surprised that almost no one tried the Boss Katana series, as it's a really nice package but I understand it's quite new..
Quote by diabolical
We've tried it, for low budget amp is quite passable.

Quite passable? really?