I posted a thread recently asking a simple recording question. One thing lead to another and I ended up experimenting with my first DAW (reaper). This might sound ridiculous to some, but after spending several hours messing around with reaper I felt like I had an epiphany. I went like 7 hours without eating (this never happens) and I realize that this is the only thing that has intrigued me so deeply that I literally forget to eat.

Without telling my whole story I started thinking about the possibility of pursuing a career in music production. I love music more than anything else but I never considered myself to be good enough to pursue a career in music. I already have a degree in computer engineering and when I thought about that music production seemed to make a lot of sense.

Anyways, in that post I got a lot of replies from people who seemed to know what they were doing. Seems like there are some producers roaming around here or at least people who know the industry. I've gathered that I would obviously need to get a degree in music production, but any other advice on how to pursue this as a career is appreciated!
I used to hang out here far more often than I do now. But because this question came up all the time, I wrote a blog post that addressed this very question. It's here:

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/2012/10/how-to-become-producerengineer.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Even though you spent 7 hours entranced by music production, I would not suggest to just jump right in quite yet. I have spent well over that time in single gaming sessions but I do not really want to be a professional gamer. Keep learning from free resources on the internet, make some tracks, and if you keep picking up momentum- go for it.
A degree is cool and all, but nothing replaces going to a local studio and asking to help out for free. You can learn tonnes by being around the process.

Also experimenting with your DAW, VST/VI instruments, and stuff like that can also be critical. I know a few guys who took production as a degree and know way less than a dude who I know who's 'training' was nothing more than subscriptions to Future Music and SOS, experimenting with Logic and EXS24, and volunteering to be a cable monkey in a studio.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
One of the things you can do is work on as much remix projects as you can, there are Remix contest pretty much running all the time on sites like
https://blend.io/
http://www.acidplanet.com/Default.asp
etc...

Once you learn the ropes, get a portable rig and record local bands for free until you get good at it.

Personally, since I've been there as a pro, I'd suggest you just continue on your IT path and do this for fun.
Trust axemanchris. As long as you also have a regular day job music production is fun. It's all about supply and demand and right now there are 10 recording engineers with "A-list" album credits for every 1 good paying recording project. I know several guys who worked at the top of the game for 10-20 years with dozens of major credits. All have day jobs to cover their mortgage and expenses and they moonlight in music production.

Go for a degree in music production if-and-only-if you can do it with zero student loans. If daddy will cover you or you have a trust fund you are golden. If not, start volunteering at the local studio. Run mic cables, take out the trash, sweep floors and clean up afterwards. Be that guy they can always count on no matter what, establish relationships, and learn the biz from the inside out. This is a much more certain path to music production than a college degree.

You could probably make $100k in a computer engineering day job without too much trouble, and moonlight in music production for another $10k-$15k if you get good at it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 17, 2017,
Even if you "make it" as house engineer, you can make about $25-$30/hr top salary, and expect 12+ hr shifts, weekends and major holidays too, usually no benefits, and that is if you're lucky and the house engineer croaks or leaves for another job.

Usually the good investment by top guys now is the property where the studio is built and the studio itself covers the tax and mortgage, then they usually sell and move shop to another location once the property value doubles.