Just grabbed a Peavey 4x10 Bass cab, but have no clue what its rated for. How the hell do you find its proper ohms/watts so it doesn't blow anything?
WANDERED, FAR AS I
Will Lane
I believe its just 410S. It almost looks a line a number or letter could be in front of the 4 but scratched out, or it could just be a scratch.
The guy I got it off of said it was 200w 4ohms but I'd like to be sure before I pick up an amp with that rating. I haven't found much out. When I look it up really all I see is the newer headliner series.
WANDERED, FAR AS I
shaunbelievable And so I presume the cab is not one of those Headliner cabs? It is silly that manufacturers do not put wattage/ohm ratings on their cabs. I do not get why they wouldn't.

To make sure of the wattage/ohm rating, you will need to open up the cabinet housing and take a look at the speakers and how they are wired. Wattage is calculated by taking the lowest wattage speaker wattage rating and multiplying it by how many speakers are in the wiring chain. Likely they will all be the same speaker. The impedance is a little more tricky, look up series/parallel speaker wiring.

Or if you have a multi meter you can plug in a speaker cable and check for DC resistance and see what it says, and typically what the reading is will be a few ohms less than what the cab actually impedes (what you want to know) when AC current is running through it. I think that is right science.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 15, 2017,
Definitely not a Headliner lol. Its a model year or 3 before the headliners came out. I contacted Peavey with the Serial number hoping they'll give me some information.
WANDERED, FAR AS I
You bought this used correct?

The ONLY way to know what you have is to open it up and look at the speakers installed and how they are wired TODAY. Peavey can only tell you how it left the factory.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
You bought this used correct?

The ONLY way to know what you have is to open it up and look at the speakers installed and how they are wired TODAY. Peavey can only tell you how it left the factory.
That is smart too. Some tinkerer may have adjusted the wiring and when you are considering possible death of your expensive equipment, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Will Lane

Or swapped the stock speakers out!!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
You can measure the cabinet's resistance with a multimeter and then convert that loosely to impedance. A measured resistance is usually about 15% lower than the actual impedance (an 8 ohm impedance speaker or cabinet will often measure 6 or 7 ohms resistance).

Here's a Wiki: http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Speaker-Impedance
Information from Peavey:

410S
4x10 Scorpion S-10425, 125 watts @ 4 ohms each

Shipped out of factory 08/16/1989

This thing is in damn good condition for being nearly 30 years old. Previous owners must have never left the garage with it. Clearly still the stock speakers so I have to assume the wiring is still the same. I'll be careful to rewire it how it should be.
Would like to load it with 4 new 10 inch Eminence 200 W @ 8ohms speakers.
WANDERED, FAR AS I
You could plug a speaker cable in and grab a multimeter. Plug the cable in, set the meter to ohms (a low setting) and touch the tip with one lead and the sleeve with the other. That'll show you how many ohms your cab is.

Beat me to it haha ^^
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by shaunbelievable

Would like to load it with 4 new 10 inch Eminence 200 W @ 8ohms speakers.

why?
dspellman

I mean, its got 30 year old speakers hanging in it. And Peavey doesn't have any clue what this thing is actually rated for. So might as well repurpose it, eh?
WANDERED, FAR AS I
Why not test it with a $5 multi-meter and try it out? You might like the speakers and could save yourself some money.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I wish I could tell the difference between Scorpions and Eminence speakers (or any 2 speakers) by looking at the cone through the mesh.

I normally have to look at the stickers and/or stamps on the back of the speaker to tell the difference.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee
I opened it up today and there was about 0 helpful information on the stickers. All the good stuff had faded and come off.

I had to contact Peavey with the serial number to get the info I have on it
WANDERED, FAR AS I
kylendm
I've tested it with the multimeter. All 4 speakers came in just under 4 ohms as expected. I just don't know what the actual max power is. Peavey told me not to go anymore than 450 watts. Also it at 4 ohms and I would really like to be able to add an additional cab for some venues. And I don't have anything that will go lower than 4 ohms. And if I run it in series it seems like it'd be useless to even use an addition cab due to the power cut.

Honestly though I may just trade it and get a solid combo with an extension cab. Seems all the work is already done lol
WANDERED, FAR AS I
I bought a ohm meter at home depo 40 bucks. Has to read low ohms so its bit expensive. What you do is plug regular speaker jack into the output of the cab hook the ohm meter up to the end of the jack if its 16 ohm it will read 13 or 14 same as 8 will read 5 or 6 it always reads a couple of ohms lower because all speakers are wound differently plus your hoojing it up to the jack. Hope that helps. If you are using a tube amp dont hook it up until you test the cab. Could kill your amp tubes etc. Hope that was helpfull