Page 1 of 2
I love guitars. I don't have a huge collection but I have nice examples of certain models that I grab to get me THAT sound. USA Strat, tele, SG, LP, and a PRS. So I have close to 2 decades of experience dealing with all the groups that comes with owning guitars like these.

Which brings me to the point where I'm getting sick of "guitar people"

You know the ones. In the Gibson world... The more the guitar cost the better it sounds. Only Les Pauls pre 1968 are real and everything else is garbage. 12 lb les pauls sound better than 9 pounders. The obvious flaws in a new Gibson give it "Character" and is absolutely acceptable on a 3000 guitar. No matter how great your Epiphone plays or sounds save yourself the embarrassment of being caught with one. "HEY DUDE IS YOUR GIBSON HELD TOGETHER BY TITEBOND OR HIDE GLUE."

In the PRS world... I swear its 90% collectors with very few players. Nice top rules all and is by far the #1 reason to buy. If you don't like the sound of the PRS its your fault. PRS guitars are perfect. The pickups and electronics are amazing in all guitars because PRS made them with magic mojo. Just sell that PRS and buy another PRS you like the top of more. You surely cant hate on two PRS guitars back to back! The PRS 85/15 pickups that are very very good but not awesome in my new CE are being sold USED on Reverb/Ebay for 300-500 dollars. The lampshade knobs are sold for 30 a pair. The bridge is around 300 bucks. The import SE bridge is 100. Second hand parts are priced stupidly because the majority of this group will buy anything with the PRS logo attached. I feel PRS makes great guitars but they are purposely taking advantage of their rabid fan base.

I love my PRS and my Gibson but these two have some of the worst people following them.

Fender guys just seem more chill. Tele guys more so. I don't know what it is but they just seem more into the actual guitar playing than all the other stuff.

pointless rant is over.

enjoy your monday.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jan 16, 2017,
Without researching anything, I wouldn't know Mark Tremonti uses PRS, and Misha Mansoor uses Jackson (mostly), but I wouldn't know that from listening to their music. I'm in the Washburn vein, because of the value. I'm sure Gibson is nice, but for $2-3k, it better damn well be. Personally, as long as I like the neck and it holds together, I'm really not to anal, because it will not make me a better player. I don't look at my guitar in the same way I do my 401k. I look at it as a tool. Yeah, Snap-On is going to be better than Kobalt, but for the price Kobalt does a great job...and I don't have to sell a kidney to afford it.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
ok
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Why didn't you have cheesefries?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Roc8995
Thread was moved to forum: The Pit
Dont dump him on us! D:
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Aight I mean I disagree but both my electrics are Teles so I'll take that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Aight I mean I disagree but both my electrics are Teles so I'll take that.

i want a tele
I wanted one for a bit, turns out it was just a phase I was going through. I would like one eventually, but nowhere near being a priority right now.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I've wanted one for a good 4 years now
get one then
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Tele-Tubby

Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
I like my PRS.

Earlier this year the neck pickup stopped working, pretty bummed about that.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
I've been wanting a tele for years ! I love the sound !

I agree with ya OP, guitar is about playing and skill, not which is more "authentic" or "original" than the other...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I had this whole post typed up until I realized a telecaster is not the same as a stratocaster.

That's how much this all matters to me.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 16, 2017,
Quote by cheesefries
Tele guys more so. I don't know what it is but they just seem more into the actual guitar playing than all the other stuff.

It's because they are more into actual guitar playing. Duh.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by TobusRex
The biggest losers of all are guys who don't own carbon fiber guitars.

MY Ex-GF's mother has a carbon fiber cello.
Sounds fucking beautiful.
She's also an incredible musician.
I would have fucked them both at once if they wanted too.

OP is a dumbass whining little pile of shit who should be skinned alive with a butter knife by his mother.

PRS taking advantage of a rabid fan base?
Shit, I would too.

I'm drunk.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 16, 2017,
Quote by CodeMonk
MY Ex-GF's mother has a carbon fiber cello.
Sounds fucking beautiful.

Yeah, I love the space age stuff. Those CF instruments are awesome.
Washburn is my favorite guitar brand. I can't say much about the Washburn group though as I'm the only one I know that owns any.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I want a strat and a tele

Who gives a fuck about Gibson
i would totally have a gibson super 400 but yeah if i ever get round to buying a proper les paul it'll be a tokai or something, people in the gear plans thread showed me a bunch of plaintop bursts and i could totally go for those

i would really like a shell pink strat with lipstick coils but i don't get along with playing the things in practice so
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I want a strat and a tele

Who gives a fuck about Gibson

If you're talking about Les Pauls, yeah fuck em. There's too many great alternatives from Japan and they're too competitively priced for their quality for Gibson to be worth considering. Unless you just want to buy a badge. But based on the quality of the Japanese LP's I've played/owned and the complacency of Gibson's QC nowadays, the badge is becoming more like a detriment than an asset to me.

But I would like an Explorer 84 RI. Even though ESP made a perfect copy of one, I'm not willing to spend £4000 on one just because James Hetfield touched them.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I'm a PRS guy myself, but I've owned a ton of different brands. I like a good Fender (I own a strat and have owned several other Strats and Teles). Not a big fan of Gibsons just because of quality control issues. Never been a fan of more "shreddy" brands like Ibanez and ESP. I can dig a nice Gretsch as well, preferably their fully hollowbody guitars.

I'm not gonna sit and shove PRS down anyone's throat. But in my experience, they're the most consistently nice sounding, feeling, and playing guitars and they have great quality control, but you're gonna pay for the quality.
Quote by cheesefries
The more the guitar cost the better it sounds.

Those dummies are just trying to justify paying thousands for a guitar.
In a blind test a $200 guitar with a couple upgrades can sound as good or better than a multi-thousand $ guitar. Even someone with questionable hearing could hear that.
I personally haven't owned/played a guitar worth more than $1500 but I agree with OP. I've mostly only come across this sort of elitism online. Even in certain sections of this forum. I think a proper set-up (which of course is personally tailored to each individual guitar player) and how you personally think the guitar sounds are the most important aspects here.

Obviously I'm not gonna sit here and say a Squier Affinity Stratocaster (My 1st electric) is anywhere near in quality to an American made Fender Strat.

Nor am I gonna say an Epiphone G-400 Pro is as good as a new or vintage Gibson SG

Those lower end guitars can be upgraded and made to play, sound, and even feel just as good as those guitars in my personal opinion, but the snobbery involved in brand loyalty is just par for the course unfortunately. the big problem with the guitar industry is general is that everyone bases the measure of a guitar and amp based on what was used by music pioneers in the past. Nobody is willing to move forward and innovate in the guitar world to any serious capacity. So everyone has these ideas of what a certain guitar should be and get their jimmies rustled if any dares to step on the tradition of those guitars and what they stand for. That's why we've seen the same exact designs for countless years with no real improvements because people are afraid of change.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Jan 16, 2017,
I found this on another forum some time ago, and thought it was worth saving:

Guitarists tend to hive to their personal gear price point. I've said it before on the Les Paul forums, but;

Cheap guitars are built better than guys with expensive guitars will give credit to.

Expensive guitars are built better than the guys with cheap guitars will give credit to.

The expensive guitars are not built as well as the expensive guitar owners think.

The cheap guitars are not built as well as the cheap guitar owners think.

A valuable guitar has good level frets and a well cut nut, regardless of price.

A cheap guitar with poor design features can be forgiven because it is cheap.

A cheap guitar with poor design features can be criticised because it is cheap garbage that clearly was designed by idiots on a tiny budget.

An expensive guitar with poor design features can be forgiven because it has character and period charm.

An expensive guitar with poor design features can be criticised because it cost so much it should play right and I'm scared to mod it and risk getting flamed by the community that worships the ground said guitar walks on (*cough* Rickenbacker *cough*).

Player A, who asserts that their Squier Affinity Strat is as good as any MIA Fender, is a poor, bitter, jealous loser.

Player B who asserts that their MIA Fender Strat smokes any Squier Strat is an insecure, elitist bully.

Player A calls Player B a 'tone lawyer', and Player B calls Player A a hobo.

Player C owns a Squier Strat but modded it with $300 in parts and claims it outplays Player B's Strat because they spent a further $200 to have it Plek'd. They cannot sell it on Craigslist for $150, but always find a way of bringing it into every conversation on any internet forum they are a member of.

Player B considers their guitar to be complete already, and ignores the poorly cut nut slots grounding issues and rising ski-jump around the 12th fret because 'its a Strat, man'. Player B dosn't notice these issues, and Player A picks up his guitar at an open mic night and finds it a handful, tells the internet the next day, and gets flamed out as a jealous loser.

I hope the original author doesn't mind me using it.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jan 16, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
I'm primarily an acoustic guitarist, but I stopped subscribing to two of the most popular acoustic fora because of attitudes such as you describe. Those kinds of groups are really fan clubs, and that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me.

Taylors are tinny and shrill, and Martins sound like they're stuffed full of socks!
Guitars are like women. Everyone want a supermodel for a girlfriend until they land one. Then they make excuses for why they paid so much for her. She has good resale value. She's pretty. She's made of the good kind of wood that sounds like something. But then she doesn't stay in tune. If you drop her, her head will pop off. All this and you find out the $5000 guitar wont get you laid.
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
Washburn is my favorite guitar brand. I can't say much about the Washburn group though as I'm the only one I know that owns any.

Naw, that just makes...what 3 of us on UG.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I am torn between my Standard American Stratocaster & my Standard Gibson Les Paul.

One is twice as much as the other,.

I will note however that the lower end Les Pauls are not as distinctive as the higher end Strats.

I've played Mexican Strats that destroy $1,500 American ones. Not to say that the American Standards & even Specials are obsolete, but Fender has one of the best business models in the industry. Every Epiphone I have bought has been junk, hate to say it (people are going to destroy me in the comment section for this.) BUT low end Fenders are actually quite nice. No bull shit, simple finishes, simple construction, just a great guitar.

BUT

It's hard to beat a true Les Paul. It's like beer vs whiskey, they are different tools for the job.
Quote by Roc8995
Thread was moved to forum: The Pit

We don't want it here, either. 🖓🖓🖓
Free Ali
Quote by bjgrifter
Naw, that just makes...what 3 of us on UG.

Awwww yeah Wasburn for life. Seriously though I love every Washburn I've ever touched. From my cheep ass Rx10 to ones I'll never be able to afford I"ve yet to find a bad sound or feeling washburn.
The RX10 is pretty nice...like I can't believe the price I paid for it. New pickups next month, because I don't like the stock ones, but otherwise solid.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
The RX10 is pretty nice...like I can't believe the price I paid for it. New pickups next month, because I don't like the stock ones, but otherwise solid.
when you get those pickups let me know how they sound. I love my rx10 but it falls down in front of a drummer. Its just not powerful enough or something. I even thought of moving the bridge pickup farther away from the bridge or at least flipping it to see if it can sound a little hotter. That and there is a balance issue when playing past the 20 something frets that kinks my wrist.
Op read the definition of snob victim.
Quote by bjgrifter

What kinda pickups are you putting in it??

I had replaced the pots in mine few months ago but I've been considering changing the pick ups.
I'm looking to do something from GFS. Probably the Crunchy PAT in the bridge and some Texas SCs for the neck and middle. I think the previous owner barely used it. I also e-mailed GFS and they had some passive and active suggestions, but I'm going passive. I also want to pop different pickups in my WG587, and am leaning toward some used DiMarzio PAF7s for both Neck and Bridge.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The best guitars are the best playing and sounding in your budget. That's how I've bought guitars. That has led me to currently own a Gibson SG Classic and a Fender Showmaster (Fender superstrat with single coils). Neither guitar was crazy expensive, but they're awesome.

The point is who cares what it says on the headstock!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Page 1 of 2