Hey everyone, I own an Epiphone Les Paul Bob Marley special edition (don't ask) with Pegasus Sentient pickups, and I've recently encountered a problem with it out of nowhere, while it was working just fine before I put it away on the side the last time I used it. I connect the guitar to an amp or interface, and there's no output whatsoever, just a loud buzz that gets louder when I touch the guitar (instead of what usually happens with the mains hum). When I strum the strings I hear some extra buzzing and cracking, and that's it.

The guitar outputs normally if I can somehow move it in a very specific position, and hold it extremely still, like something temporarily snaps into place, but the clarity only lasts 1 or 2 seconds cause I can't hold it that still and play. Think cheap earphones at the end of their life cycle, when you have to wiggle the jack to get audio on both.

I've removed the panel from the back of my guitar and unscrewed the output jack, but I'm seeing no wires loose. I tried replicating that movement that seems to temporarily fix the problem, but I don't see how it could cause any mechanical change in the wiring. The only odd thing I noticed is that EP Les Pauls usually have two wires attached to the output jack, whereas mine had one, but again I saw no loose wires that might have been soldered there. Could anyone help me diagnose what's going on with the guitar? Thanks
I've attached a photo of the wiring on the back, in case it helps

Last edited by Pkmm at Jan 16, 2017,
Shouldnt that blue wire's shield be connected to the output jack's sleeve terminal? Something should be. Maybe the plug got caught on the ground wire and ripped it off unsuspectingly.
It's weird that the sheilding is totally gone. Hopefully there is enough wire left to reattach it.
I kind of get it, you mean the torn part the blue wire with that little bit of wire sticking out should be soldered to the other sleeve of the output jack?
Last edited by Pkmm at Jan 17, 2017,
Quote by Pkmm
I kind of get it, you mean the torn part the blue wire with that little bit of wire sticking out should be soldered to the other sleeve of the output jack?

Yes, your guitar is not grounded without that hence the buzz and no output.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 17, 2017,
OK, I got it, thanks for the help everyone!