Hello everyone?

I'm looking forward to try out a scalloped guitar and i would like to ask

How far could you alter the pitch by pressing hard on a scalloped fretboard?

By hard i mean, like hard....

Maybe a half step?

Thanks
Depends on how deep the scallops are, string tension, gauge etc.

It isn't a very relevant question as really you should be concentrating on keeping notes IN tune, not forcing them out of tune.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
half a step not likely. why do you need to know? the idea is to use a light touch when playing a scalloped board. you are looking for better control not to bend notes by pushing them down to the fretboard. while slight pitch wavers are a benefit (or curse if not controlled properly) you don't want to get silly with it.
Far enough to make chords sound really out of tune. It's pointless though, you're shortening the lifespan of your frets for no reason.
I played scalloped fingerboards exclusively for about 4 years, and like T00DEEPBLUE said it depends on tuning, gauge, scallop depth, etc.

I will say from experience that you can bend a good bit in the lower frets (maybe 1-9 or so) just by mashing down. No idea why you would want to, but you can get a half step out of it on a set of 9s with a deep scallop. I definitely wouldn't suggest it though because you'll be putting WAY more tension on the string than in any other circumstance, and you'll be literally stretching and dragging it over the top of the fret you're on down into the scallop behind it under all that strain. That is going to damage your string first, and second if you do it often enough it will wear a groove under that sting into the fret much faster than usual.
Last edited by lumberjack at Jan 16, 2017,
Quote by flyingac

How far could you alter the pitch by pressing hard on a scalloped fretboard?

By hard i mean, like hard....

Maybe a half step?

Maybe more. But it's not a bright move unless you've got some "bendy-lick" thing in mind. It will induce a lot of early wear on your frets and it'll probably cause premature string breakage.