Hey. What are the best features of these amps if we compare them? I was reading a lot about this Randall that it has incredible metal tone, but clean is not that good. What about Peavey? I'm looking to buy an amp. At first i was thinking about JCM 800, but after reading a lot of forums and stuff i refused this idea. Mainly because i don't have a band and if i'd want to get the best crunchy tone i have to use allmost full volume. I think it sucks to use it at your bedroom full volume . I started to look up for solid state amps and found those. They're much cheaper, though i can let myself to pay more. It would be nice to hear more about these amps. And maybe someone can offer different ones? I play mostly 80's style thrash or traditional heavy metal.
Will Lane But will it be the same sounding? I can buy those solid state amps in my country, but i would have to ship JCM 800 from other country. I'm not feeling very safe about it.
I have an old redstripe Bandit. Its not bad, but its nothing special. If you only need it for bedroom use, id look into some sort of modeler. For the same price of a new bandit you can probably get a used pod hd500 or something similar, or an interface and some plugins. Both of those things will give you way more flexibility, and they would also enable you to practice with your headphones.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky im planning to play not just in bedroom. Jam with friends and stuff. What's your opinion about that randall that i mentioned? A lot of people telling that for it's price is very solid and versatile.
Bebras Sorry, never tried the randall. The bandit is not a bad amp, i used it with a band for around 4 years i think, and it worked fine. I even used it to record and it turned out ok. Just dont expect miracles from it. For a jamming and a bedroom amp, its great. Altough i would get one of the used redstripe models, maybe one that was still made in the us.

Also, what is your budget? Im guessing you wanna play metal anyway, so maybe there are some other amps in the price range that come close. Even that jcm800 that you mentioned may be good. Nowdays most of the amps distortion comes from the preamp, not the power tubes, so its not like you have to cranck it. I can get a completely passable metal tone out of my 120w engl at low bedroom levels. No reason other amps couldnt do this.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Jan 17, 2017,
Dude, for that ammount of money you can get a way way way better amp than the bandit or randal. Thats almost Kemper territory. If i were you, id get an Engl, just because they are capable of pristine cleans as well as modern hi gain stuff, and everything in between. Maybe a Powerball with one of those 2x12 cabs loaded with vintage 30's. It has a master volume, so you can get it down to bedroom levels easily, and with a little fiddling with the eq it sounds as good turned down, as it does when its loud.
Quote by Bebras
Will Lane But will it be the same sounding? I can buy those solid state amps in my country, but i would have to ship JCM 800 from other country. I'm not feeling very safe about it.

neither of the amps you mentioned will sound as good as a JCM800 would at bedroom volumes. you may want to look at a Marshall DSL40c which has more gain options and may be better suited to what you want. all amps will sound somewhat "better" louder that's just the nature of the beast. a Bandit isn't a thrash metal amp by any stretch. it is a good pedal platform however for what you want an amp with great distortion. slap an overdrive in front and you are good to go. I use 50 & 60 watt amps (tube) at home all the time and play a volumes that won't piss people off. you just have to remember that the settings that work at low volumes won't be the same as those at higher volumes.
monwobobbo https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Tube-Amp-vs-Solid-State-Which-Best-Guitar-Amp-You
I find this article very interesting, and also commentary above. It's like everyone has different taste. They are talking how you can't say that tube amps is better in every way, because it's everyone's own opinion and personal taste. And that solid state these days are even better a some points. I liked the point when someone mentioned why most of old rock stars using mainly just tube amps. Because at their generation solid state was mostly crap and now they're refusing to try it. Other thing is that tube amps needs much more care and cost a lot to get new parts and stuff. That's why i'm afraid to buy tube one. Other thing is that now i have enough cash to spend and maybe in the future it will be hard to get one. These things really pisses me off.
Quote by Bebras
monwobobbo https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Tube-Amp-vs-Solid-State-Which-Best-Guitar-Amp-You
I find this article very interesting, and also commentary above. It's like everyone has different taste. They are talking how you can't say that tube amps is better in every way, because it's everyone's own opinion and personal taste. And that solid state these days are even better a some points. I liked the point when someone mentioned why most of old rock stars using mainly just tube amps. Because at their generation solid state was mostly crap and now they're refusing to try it. Other thing is that tube amps needs much more care and cost a lot to get new parts and stuff. That's why i'm afraid to buy tube one. Other thing is that now i have enough cash to spend and maybe in the future it will be hard to get one. These things really pisses me off.

well I didn't say that all tube amps are "better" . I've owned a Bandit (older model in the 80s) and played thru some of the newer ones. sorry but it just isn't very good for what you want. not a bad amp for certain things but thrash metal isn't one of them. if you had said you wanted an Axe-FX unit then that would have been a different story. solid state / modeling and a great sounding unit. (expensive though). the JCM 800 was one of the most used amps for the music you mentioned so it would seem like the better choice to me. I play that kind of stuff myself (not much thrash but certainly old school metal). yes tube amps can be more expensive and require some care. worth it to me. I use a Peavey Valveking for practice and I assure you that it will bury a Bandit in terms of sound. great clean channel and for old school metal the drive channel does great (especially with an overdrive in front). not a modern metal amp but for what you mentioned it does pretty well.
At bedroom volume, just about every amp will sound different than when cranked. Tube or solid state.

The JCM800 is pretty much THE 80s thrash sound in my book. But then again SLAYER!
Boosted with an over drive like a tubescreamer will get you that sound.

A lot of higher gain amps can be used for metal. Some need some help with an od or eq pedal though.
I use an Orange CR120h for metal all the time.

You could probably score a 6505 combo cheap used, or even a Head and cab if you choose to do so.
Heck, even an old JSX or XXX will do good too.
If you are hestitant in spending money on JCM800 check out if there is a used Peavey Windsor around you. Its basically cheaply chinese made modded jcm800 with Valvekings power section (just with el34 power tubes). Not the most reliable thing but it is cheap as chips.

Just like jcm800 you need an overdrive pedal to push it over the edge into Thrash territory, Bad Monkey or any tubescreamer clone will do.

If you find that Windsor works for you in all situations i am sure a real jcm800 will do also.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So what you guys think about shipping tube amp like JCM 800? I checked in andertons.co.uk and they are selling head for almost as half price as in america. They are saying that their shipping is very safe, but i don't know. Also the cabinet would cost a lot.
Quote by Bebras
So what you guys think about shipping tube amp like JCM 800? I checked in andertons.co.uk and they are selling head for almost as half price as in america. They are saying that their shipping is very safe, but i don't know. Also the cabinet would cost a lot.

Since you are quoting your budget in euros, you are obviously somewhere from continental europe. The best known and also most reliable european store is Thomann. Almost everyone in europe orders their stuff there, and for good reason. They generally have the lowest prices on the market, or at least somewhere down there, the shipping is free over 400€ and they have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. I have ordered guitars and tube amps from them, and so far i have had zero problems. The shipping seems fast and reliable, and with the return policy the way it is, you can just send back any defective gear you get. Hell, you can send it back even if you just plain dont like it. Even their custsomer support is fast and polite, which is a goddamn miracle in this day and age.
+1. Andertons is good if you are in UK but Thomann is the go-to place for everybody else in Europe. Free shipping on expensive orders, no questions asked return policy for 30 days after receiving the package.

Also dont worry about shipping tube amps. They pack them well. Also while tube amps are more sensitive than solid states they are NOT some special snow flakes that disintegrate into molecules if you just bump it slightly. (at least the good ones are not). Tube amps have been mishandled by roadies or fallen on stage since the dawn of electic guitars and survived just fine. Only fragile part is the tube itself and if a tube breaks you can change it yourself to a new one or if the tube becomes loose just push it back in its place. Otherwise its just circuit boards, caps and resistors just like any solid state amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 18, 2017,
What cabinet would you recommend with JCM 800?
Last edited by Bebras at Jan 18, 2017,
Its a head, it NEEDS a cabinet to make any sound. Actually its dangerous to turn on tube amp without speaker attached, the transformer may break. If you are on budget, Harley Benton g212 Vintage with Celestion V30 speakers is best bang for the buck cabinet around.

If the added cabinet is too expensive then consider Marshall (if it HAS to be a Marshall) DSL40c or JVM combo instead. They are not exactly JCM800 but they do have the british Marshall sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus Yeah, i've been reading about the danger just before you wrote. I'm new to tube amps, that's why stupid questions. But does cabinet qualities matters that much? It just converts signal from head into a sound, is it not? Does sound will be much worse comparing, just for example MARSHALL MG-412A cab with the one you mentioned?
Cabinet and especially speakers matters just as much as the amplifier itself. Guitar speakers are not the same as hifi speakers. Guitar speakers are creating sound and adding their own tone and color to the sound, unlike hifi speakers which are generally flat and only reproduce sound that is already created.

Marshall MG cabinet is rubbish. MDF construction (acoustically dead, good for hifi and subwoofers, not for guitar cabinet) and cheap shitty speakers. ´The Harley Benton Vintage cabinet I mentioned is plywood and comes with Celestion V30 speakers which is pretty much the standard when it comes to metal tone and every speaker is compared to that. It is because of these speakers this cab model is so highly regarded as great bang for the buck, to get something comparable from bigger brands you have to pay double or even triple the money.

Here is a good example of how much the sound changes when just the speaker is changed from model and brand to another.

And here are more Eminence speakers.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thanks a lot for the information. It seems that i know nothing.
Quote by Bebras
Thanks a lot for the information. It seems that i know nothing.

don't sweat it that's why this forum is here. none of us were gear geniuses right off the bat either. I've been playing for over 35 years and still learn stuff about gear every day.

by the way the Peavey Windsor also came as a 20 watt combo with an adjustable wattage feature which is great for playing at home. it's not made anymore but can be found online fairly cheap. it's a 1 channel amp which is the only downside (the head version is as well )