This guy just showed up to my house a few days ago. I found a nice deal on it and decided to give it a shot. I always wanted to try one of these years ago but it's not something that you find just out and about haha.

This amp is absolutely crushing. It's got probably the most responsive EQ I've ever tried in an amp. Turning the knobs drastically changes the sound compared to a lot of other amps out there. It's very versatile, takes pedals amazing and the clean channel is bliss.

It's definitely not the tightest amp but because it reacts so well to pedals, throwing a boost in front of it immediately does the trick. Especially if you have a pedal that tightens up the bottom end. One thing for sure is it's deafeningly loud but it does have a built in attenuator. If you engage the effects loop and turn the send/return lower than 5 you'll start to attenuate the amp so you can boost the master to around 4-5 and get those tubes cooking; that's the sweet spot from what I've heard so far.

Anyway, here's some clips with my Mesa Traditional 4x12 and my Peavey 412M loaded with K85s.
V30s
https://soundcloud.com/kylendm/rivera-knucklehead-tre
Chain:
Ibanez RGD2127 (Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge) -> OD -> ISP Decimator -> Rivera KTRE -> Mesa Traditional 4x12 -> SM57

Here's my settings too:
  • Presence - 7.5
  • Foundation - 2
  • Master - 4.5
  • Treble - 7
  • Middle - 4.5
  • Bass - 4
  • Gain - 5
  • Boost not engaged.

Just in case that sounded a little thin I turned the Foundation to 6 and bass to 6 on the amp and turned down the "tightness" knob on my pedal to let it breath a little. Here's that clip. They sound pretty similar.
https://soundcloud.com/kylendm/rivera-knucklehead-tre-thicker

K85s
Here's the clip with the K85s. I think I actually prefer it to the V30s! It's a very thick sounding speaker and much more neutral than the V30.
https://soundcloud.com/kylendm/rivera-knucklehead-tre-celestion-k85s
Here's the settings for this one
  • Presence - 8
  • Foundation - 2
  • Master - 4.5
  • Treble - 7.5
  • Middle - 4
  • Bass - 4
  • Gain - 5
  • Boost not engaged.

TLDR: KTRE does not disappoint
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Also what happened to all the new gear days and reviews?!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
no one plays guitar anymore?

lol

monster amp....loved the one I had. It's a very unique lead channel.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Unique is a good word for it. I just got done playing it in stereo. Rivera+Mesa412 and Baron+Bogner412. Literally speechless . I have way too much time.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Sweet! Some pretty br00tal tones there man. I dig that kind of thick, grinding tone. It's refreshing among all the super-tight, precise-to-a-fault djent tones that are popular right now. HNAD!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
BCKRedBaron
That's funny because this was one of the videos that sold me on it.

Doesn't get more djenty then that lol.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Two things worth noting.

There is no attenuator built into the Rivera Knucklehead TRE. That was probably an unfortunate choice of words.

The K85 has a very pedestrian resonance frequency of 85Hz and a low end frequency response of 80Hz. That's a bit lower than the 110Hz of some guitar speakers, but hardly into "crushing" territory. The K85 has a bit less mid-range hump.

The Foundation control adds gain to the low end, but does not add low end.

Ippon makes a point with the Theile cab,but if you want low end, the Eminence Delta ProA has a resonance frequency of 51Hz and a frequency response of 52Hz - 4.5Khz and really works well with that cabinet.
Thanks for clearing that up! Yeah I'm not looking for real "crushing" low end as I'll mainly use this for recording and such but I just thought the K85 was a nice change up and definitely sounds thicker than the V30.

Also yeah about the attenuator kinda thing. I guess the loop acts more like as a master volume. Setting the levels at 5 gets you the same volume as it is off but above 7 it boosts the volume more the opposite when going below 5.
Still, I believe the video said that when lowering the Send/Return levels you're still saturating the power tubes so isn't that like an attenuator?

Edit: Yeah here's what the manual says.
You can also use the Effects Loop as a sort of power attenuator by Turning on the effects loop and then lower the send and return level controls. This is great if you like the cranked up master tone for thick power amp distortion leads, at lower volumes.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jan 16, 2017,
^ sounds similar to the loop volume control on my Splawn.

Don't get me wrong, some of those djent tones are awesome, Monuments being one of them. I just feel like I would aim for the kind of sound in your clips if I had that amp as opposed to that video. Of course, it's nice to know both are available!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNAD thats nice man
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Thanks guys. It's definitely a sick amp. Sounds awesome in stereo with the Baron.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE