View poll results: ?
Yes
14 50%
No
6 21%
I've been involved in a collision
8 29%
Voters: 28.
I just narrowly avoided an accident on the roads this morning.

I was on the motorway on the way to work. The motorway had recently filtered down from 3 lanes to 2 lanes, so the traffic was quite bunched up. I was about 2 and a half car lengths from the car in front. I was on the outside lane as I was slowly overtaking some trucks. I was travelling the same speed as the car in front, about 65mph. Nobody in front of me was moving lanes, so the flow of traffic was pretty smooth without any erratic slowing down or speeding up. All seemed pretty normal.

Then without warning, the car in front of me slammed on their brakes as hard as they could and put on their hazard lights in that very same moment. I braked as hard as I could, locked up my front brakes (the roads were greasy, no ABS) and realized that I wasn't going to be able to slow down in time. I recalled in my peripheral vision that I had overtaken a truck, so the inside lane was clear. I dived into the inside lane right at the last moment. You probably could've slipped a piece of baccy paper between me and the car in front when I moved into that lane. I heard someone blare their horn, but I'm not sure if I recall if it came from behind or ahead of me. And then the traffic returned to normal as though nothing had even happened. Fuck me it was scary.

Naturally, I spent the rest of my journey to work thinking about what exactly happened and how I could've done more to avoid it, but honestly I just don't know what else I could've done. Nobody was switching lanes ahead of me as far as I could tell. Nobody had their brake lights on in front of me as far as I could tell. The car in front just slammed on their brakes without any obvious sign of a hazard.

The hazard lights of the car in front came on the exact moment that they braked. To me that's suspicious because when you're braking right on the edge of your car's braking limit, one's first instinct is to have both hands on the steering wheel to keep the car under control as you brake. Not taking 1 hand off the steering wheel to press the hazard lights button on the car's dashboard in the exact instant that you realize that you need to make an emergency stop. Keeping the car under control is the number 1 priority. So how did that driver have the reaction time to press their hazard light button on the dashboard when they immediately realized they needed to stop? Anyone who could press the button that quickly had to have anticipated that they were going to stop that suddenly.

I've spoken to a work colleague about the incident and they raised a good point that it's possible the hazard lights were activated automatically when the car sensed that it was braking sharply. Apparently that's a feature found on many modern cars now. I think the car in question was quite a modern Audi A3,but my memory is a bit hazy on that. But it's definitely a possibility. If so, it was most likely a lease car.

But what I still don't understand is why that car braked in the first place. Nobody was changing lanes, so it wasn't like anyone was cutting him up. There was no debris on the road either. No brake lights ahead of that car were apparent either.

I'm skeptical of my own assessment of the situation as obviously by being involved in the incident, my perspective is inherently biased. But this to me sounds like a Crash 4 Cash.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone here been in a similar situation to this? If so please do tell.

All I can say was that it was really fucking scary and it's going to haunt me pretty much all week.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sounds like car in front was driven by a nervous idiot.

I've had plenty of near misses, mostly due to other drivers slamming on brakes, merging without indicating etc etc. Never been in an accident though.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Yes. At a tight, 5 way intersecting road, and it wouldn't have been my fault. I was in the turn only side and the light turned green so I turned but some old dude tried going forward (from my right) directly in front of me. Had to swerve to the incoming side of the road. Luckily no traffic on that side.

Honked but don't think he even noticed.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 17, 2017,
The only incident to me that stands out in my time driving is the time I was stuck in a traffic jam and some idiot in a white van decided to drive up the grass verge to the left of me, and cut in, trying to bypass all of the traffic. He nearly rammed straight into me even tho I was doing sub-10 mph

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Also almost hit a police officer walking in the middle of the road. Also wouldn't have been my fault, but I'm sure he would've been able to spin it on me.

There was back up on the incoming lane but it was all clear on the outgoing, which was the road I was on. Officer literally just darted out from the left (the backup lane, so I couldn't see him) and walked by. Didn't really have to slam on the brakes or anything, but I definitely had to slow down fast for him.

Didnt even bother looking to his right throughout the walk.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 17, 2017,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Also almost hit a police officer walking in the middle of the road. Also wouldn't have been my fault, but I'm sure he would've been able to spin it on me.

There was back up on the incoming lane but it was all clear on the outgoing, which was the road I was on. Officer literally just darted out from the left (the backup lane, so I couldn't see him) and walked by. Didn't really have to slam on the brakes or anything, but I definitely had to slow down fast for him.

Didnt even bother looking to his right throughout the walk.

It's stuff like this which makes me think I should get a dashcam.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Recently I nearly collected a black BMW head on who had decided to do a U-turn on the sliproad from the M25 to the M3. Definitely the most obscenely dangerous piece of driving I've ever seen. My wife was pregnant at the time. The police didn't investigate.
near hit*

a near miss implies you nearly missed but ultimately crashed
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I've had many incidents like the OP over the years. The worst though was about 5 years ago. I was driving to work at about 6am one winter, still dark outside. A car going the other way on the other side of the road drifted over the center island and if I hadn't slammed on my brakes would've hit me hit me head on at about 75mph. The drunk bastard (who'd passed out) continued on completely across the highway, crashed through a light barrier, and plowed into a building. I missed dying by literally about 3 feet.

I've been in 2 accidents since moving to Las Cruces, both times morons plowed into my rear end when I was stopped at red traffic lights. They had to answer those crucial cellphone calls! One of them was a Mexican national driving a cement truck for CEMEX. They tried to not pay for the damages their driver had caused but I got the money out of them
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 17, 2017,
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure if you don't have ABS you can pump the brakes IN AN EMERGENCY to stop from skidding. You skid when the wheels stop spinning but the car still has momentum so you lose traction and skid along. releasing the brakes (when you're about to lose traction) may seem counter intuitive when you want to stop but it actually helps you stop sooner. It also lets you keep traction so you can turn away from a near collision. This is pretty much what ABS does except electronically without your input. If you have ABS on your car and it's activated then you should just slam the brakes and let it do it's thing.

EDIT: also to be clear, it's not like 'pumping' a bicycle pump or something, you squeeeeeeeze... and release and squeeeze... and release and squeeze until you stop.

EDIT2: and then you release your butt cheeks
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Jan 17, 2017,
Quote by Gatecrasher53
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure if you don't have ABS you can pump the brakes IN AN EMERGENCY to stop from skidding. You skid when the wheels stop spinning but the car still has momentum so you lose traction and skid along. releasing the brakes (when you're about to lose traction) may seem counter intuitive when you want to stop but it actually helps you stop sooner. It also lets you keep traction so you can turn away from a near collision. This is pretty much what ABS does except electronically without your input. If you have ABS on your car and it's activated then you should just slam the brakes and let it do it's thing.

EDIT: also to be clear, it's not like 'pumping' a bicycle pump or something, you squeeeeeeeze... and release and squeeeze... and release and squeeze until you stop.

EDIT2: and then you release your butt cheeks

that's the general idea, here's a more detailed description:

http://www.drivingfast.net/threshold-braking/

closest near-miss I had was with a kangaroo. I was driving along at 110km/h at night and it came onto the road from the passenger side - I slammed on the brakes and shed my speed down to about 80, got off the brake a bit to rebalance the car and then swerved right (we drive on the left) at the last moment and missed its head by about two inches I reckon.

all happened in less than 2 seconds, got the adrenaline going big time but was pretty comfortable with the way it all happened. Glad there wasn't any traffic coming the other way or I would have had to have just hit the bastard.
Yea, the "driving too fast on a country road where the 5-6" hedges mean you can't see past the bend/dip/hill, but you still go too fast because you're a dumbass teenage dick" sort(2 out of 3 of those have been near head-ons with other dumbass teenage dicks doing the same thing). Ended up with a flat due to one of them, about the worst thing that's happened to me as a driver.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
yeah sounds like possibly one of those people that think their hazards create a magical forcefield around their car and they can just stop in the middle of the road. i've seen it before, but not as bad as slamming on the brakes in the middle of a higgway.

there are almost always at least mild near misses in NJ.

-guy who got into the passing lane and attempted to get in front of me right as the lanes merged. i pretty much had to move over onto the shoulder as i leaned on the horn.

-monthly occurrences of people who don't turn around or at least checl their mirrors when backing out of a space. i don't even honk anymore. i just stare at them and hope they actually hit me

-motorcycle douche i almost obliterated with my dad's Honda Element.

doing about 80 on the highway, signal that i'm getting into the left lane, check mirrors, check blind spot, i'm good, start moving over.

completely in the lane now, blinker off. harley tears around me from the left, inches from the car, guy's saggy arm woman on the back raises her hands in the air like i'm the asshole.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Gatecrasher53
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure if you don't have ABS you can pump the brakes IN AN EMERGENCY to stop from skidding.

I don't understand how that can be efficient.

F1 cars don't have traction control or anti-lock brakes and the people who drive them know a thing or two about how to stop a car quickly. They might back off brake pressure if they're locking up, but they'll never reapply it again like in a pumping action since they know they'll just lock up again.

You only get that pumping bake pedal effect on cars with ABS that have detected that the wheels have locked to back off brake pressure until the wheels unlock, then lock again as the driver is still depressing the pedal too hard, locking up, ABS releases brake pressure etc.

All that aside, I wasn't in any way anticipating that the car in front was going to brake as hard as they did, so braking in that fashion was really not on my mind like it would be on a race circuit. I was thinking more about getting out of the way than trying to pump the brake pedal as even if I didn't lock up, I'd still collide with them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I have and the number of occurences has increased in recent years since the smart phone has become commonplace. Especially the number of incidents where I am almost side-swiped by other motorists on the highway because they are looking at their phones.

How fucking stupid do you have to be to text while you are driving let alone driving on the highway at 50+ MPH?

Cops have even been trained to identify the signs of texting/phone use while driving, not taking off when the light has turned green, driving slowly swerving back and forth then speeding up (while waiting for next text), drifting into oncoming traffic lanes or other lanes in general, which all sound similar to someone who is driving under the influence. At night there is always the tell tale sign of the driver's face illuminated by the phone.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't understand how that can be efficient.

F1 cars don't have traction control or anti-lock brakes and the people who drive them know a thing or two about how to stop a car quickly. They might back off brake pressure if they're locking up, but they'll never reapply it again like in a pumping action since they know they'll just lock up again.

You only get that pumping bake pedal effect on cars with ABS that have detected that the wheels have locked to back off brake pressure until the wheels unlock, then lock again as the driver is still depressing the pedal too hard, locking up, ABS releases brake pressure etc.

All that aside, I wasn't in any way anticipating that the car in front was going to brake as hard as they did, so braking in that fashion was really not on my mind like it would be on a race circuit. I was thinking more about getting out of the way than trying to pump the brake pedal as even if I didn't lock up, I'd still collide with them.

Pumping the brakes rapidly and lightly is what ABS does when you slam on the brakes with ABS you can feel the rapid pulsating and while a human cannot possibly duplicate the speed and exact pressure of an ABS system pumping the brakes was indeed the preferred method to correct the problem of brakes that had been locked up prior to ABS being standard on pretty much every vehicle, I have used this method with succes more than once and if done correctly it does work.

The trick is to pump the brake pedal rapidly but lightly to avoid having the wheels lock up again eventually the car will slow enough to stop. This method used to be taught in drivers education when I was in high school. It may not be as efficient as ABS but if done correctly can work.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 17, 2017,
On Sunday night, there was a car on the interstate's right lane that was completely disabled, no lights or anything. It was right after a curve, so me and several cars that were in the right had to suddenly get in the left lane to avoid it. This Ford Escape in front of me had been following the car in front of them too closely, and that car braked when they changed lanes. This led to the Escape going into the shoulder to try and slow down. The shoulder had gravel, so when she braked as she was still turning, she slid and went into the guardrail.

Her tail swerved a bit back into the left, but I managed to avoid it. I pulled over into the shoulder and made sure she was okay. She was
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Evilnine When I raced in TKM, I didn't pulse the brake pedal in that fashion. What I did was basically try and hit the goldilocks zone between the wheel being unlocked and locked (the wheels slipping slightly without locking) and holding the pedal in that position without pumping it because to me that's the most efficient way to brake and its less prone to upset the balance of the vehicle. Especially when trail braking. It's just super difficult to get that balance right so I suppose pumping the pedal slightly is the next best thing if you cannot find the ideal position in the pedal's travel.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Evilnine When I raced in TKM, I didn't pulse the brake pedal in that fashion. What I did was basically try and hit the goldilocks zone between the wheel being unlocked and locked (the wheels slipping slightly without locking) and holding the pedal in that position without pumping it because to me that's the most efficient way to brake and its less prone to upset the balance of the vehicle. Especially when trail braking. It's just super difficult to get that balance right so I suppose pumping the pedal slightly is the next best thing if you cannot find the ideal position in the pedal's travel.
Don't they use caliper brakes rather than discs though?
Or am I thinking about a different sort of kart?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
slapsymcdougal Discs. TKM's are racing karts.
Fair enough.

(I always used a VK, because the only TKM I have any experience with has nothing to do with karting)
Quote by Diemon Dave
Glad you're safe, dude.

About a year ago I had a really scary situation happen. I was on my way to work and coming up on my exit on the highway, so I'm in the rightmost lane. There's some slowpoke in the center lane that I'm about to pass and suddenly he puts on his signal and jumps right in front of me, and I mean right in front of me. I'm going 75, he's probably going 60. So I slam on my breaks and have to switch lanes to avoid smashing into him. I do, but it was a little snowy out and I lost control and my car started spinning. When I finally stopped I was facing the oncoming traffic on a 75mph highway. I thought I was gonna die. The oncoming cars managed to stop in time, but seriously it was within inches of my car. There happened to be a cop nearby who drove over to see what had happened and I told him and he didn't believe me. Chewed me out and gave me the "you need to pay attention and look ahead" and blah blah blah, as if I can anticipate someone changing lanes right in front of me without warning.
Check out my band Disturbed
I've been in a few on narrow roads in unfamiliar neighborhoods. Usually I'll be turning into a winding street and some idiot will have their car parked on the road in the right side where traffic is coming from so I'll nearly hit their car. because I can't see it before the turn. You should always park your car at least 20 feet away from a street entrance, this is also why next door neighbors get into car accidents.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Once I was late for work and was speeding (yes... sadly) to work. I dropped my phone under the passenger seaet and like an IDIOT I reached down to grab it, bobbing my head UNDER the windshield. I popped my head up just in time to see traffic ha stopped ahead of me and SLAMMED on the breaks. I should have lost my license, even if I did manage to avoid a collision. Moron. I could have hurt someone. Or what if some kid had walked into the road?
Gatecrasher53

Pre antiskid brakes people were advised to pump the brakes, not slam on them. Also....steer in the direction you are going when you start to skid (sounds "duh" ish, lol). That's the thing that gets the noobs on snow/ice. They try to turn to counter the skid, the way out is to turn INTO the skid and slowly ease it out.

One time I did a 360 degree on I-40 at 75mph. I wouldn't advise it Never slowed down either, lol.
T00DEEPBLUE

I see your point but it is one thing to do that when you are racing and in that frame of mind than to do it in an emergency for that matter it is not always easy to process that you need to pump the brakes in an emergency where most just panic, I was pretty good at remembering but in a split secone I suppose most would not, so that it why they created ABS.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

TobusRex

Yup turning into the skid will let your car slide and eventually (hopefully) allow you to correct.

I did 2/12 360s on the ice once coming too damn close to several mailboxes and damn near sliding into the ditch, I wasn't even going fast just around a curve on a street that was a sheet of ice, funny how it happens sooo quick but it seems like time is in slo-motion I vividy saw 3 mailboxes appear one at a time just inches from my side window.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 17, 2017,
T00DEEPBLUE Driving on the express way while the driver in front of you is obviously drunk... we passed him and he'd speed up and pass us, then he would swerve all the time. The thing about this is the fact that apparently we were going to the same city because 3 hours later and we're still playing this weird game of tag
VC
nanapc18

You reminded me of the only time I've ever ratted out anybody to the cops.

I was on I-10 driving from El Paso to Las Cruces at about 11pm. I was driving 82 mph (speed limit is 75, lol). There was a small white sports car in front of me, weaving, at about 70mph. I gingerly passed the car, only to see it come roaring past me doing about 100 mph about 20 seconds later. The car was weaving, at that point, halfway into the passing lane and all the way across to the service road. She left me in the dust. I legitimately thought that person was a danger to kill someone in an accident, and called it in immediately.

Lost sight of her within 15 seconds. When I finally hit Las Cruces I turned off on my exit, and there that car was, a woman being literally dragged out of it by the scruff of her neck. She looked drunk as shit.

Woot!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
slapsymcdougal Discs. TKM's are racing karts.

thought you wrote "racing kunts" at first, lol. Changes the whole perspective of your message
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

this is correct, you can stomp on the brake aiming for goldilocks zone (otherwise known as the threshold) and as you feel the wheels grabbing you release some pressure on the pedal, repeating as necessary. It requires some skill and feel for the car but its way more efficient than pumping away on the brake pedal.
Closest I've come is last week on the motorway. Guy in the hard shoulder stopped for some reason, starts indicating to come back onto the motorway. I am in the outside lane, and I can't move over because there are cars to my right. Rather than wait for me he decides I don't exist and pulls out onto a motorway as if it was your regular T-junction. Had to slam on my breaks and go from 80mph to like 30mph to avoid hitting him. Also the first time I have ever used my horn aggressively...
Quote by Diamond Dave
this is correct, you can stomp on the brake aiming for goldilocks zone (otherwise known as the threshold) and as you feel the wheels grabbing you release some pressure on the pedal, repeating as necessary. It requires some skill and feel for the car but its way more efficient than pumping away on the brake pedal.

Seems like releasing and reapplying pressure on the pedal as needed is pumping.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 18, 2017,
This happened last week

Was in the right lane going to the exit (going probably 35-40 in a 65 zone) and the rest of the traffic was at a standstill. All of the sudden some guy in a brand new Jeep just cuts in front of me with no signal. I slam on my brakes and had to dip to the right, but there was basically no shoulder, and only a concrete wall. He didn't accelerate at all and just kind sits sideways there for a few seconds. I'm probably a few inches from his passengers door and basically touching the concrete wall. And then he lays on his horn and flips me off. The fuck.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Yeah. New Years Eve I was driving home from work and started hydroplaning while going 60 on a curved part of the freeway. Luckily I used to drive a shitty old car with worn tires that hydroplaned all the time, so I know how to control it. Still could have hit a wall or something tho.

I have also been run off the road twice by people who tried to change lanes right into me because they didn't check their fucking blind spots.

Also, I live in San Diego which has tons of old people so I regularly have to swerve out of the way of some old fuck who will stop in the middle of the road. Like literally come to a complete stop in the middle of a busy road with a 50 mph limit.
Quote by Evilnine
Seems like releasing and reapplying pressure on the pedal as needed is pumping.

you could probably describe it that way, but if you told someone who didn't understand the finer mechanics of it to "to pump the brake" you're going to be miles away from max stopping power. Its far more delicate than that in practice, and you won't need to reapply pressure if you're releasing it at the correct rate.